Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a question that I hope some of the great minds here can help me with. I am trying to source a carb set I can use on this bike (engine cam ser # shows 78 engine). I currently have a 75 set on it, but carb #3 has a broken rod, and I just cand find another one (rod OR 75 carb) anywhere. After a lot of reading I think (please correct me if Im wrong) any carb rack for a 75-79 GL1000 would fit, as well a some racks from a GL1100 (which people say are cheaper and rebuild kits are cheaper).

Can anyone give me an idea of what will work and what will not so I can maybe expand my search requirements. I really want to see if I can get this bike started before I dump a lot of cash into it. Aside from the one snapped rod, the 75 set I have are clean and look great, but doesnt look like I will be able to find any 75 rods to repair what i have.

Thanks all, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

can you post a pic of the rod needed ? i may have one. maybe--

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

I can confirm that I have had a rack of GL1100 carbs on a '75 GL1000.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

From Randakk's site: http://www.randakks.com/TechTip32.htm

While you're there, check out the site in general. He's got a lot of stuff. I have an electric fuel pump, oil filter adapter, and carb re-buildkit that I bought off of himand allare quality items.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

I have 1100 carbs on my '79 1000...couldn't be happier with them..

The kits & parts are actually more expensive for the 1100's, there's 4 air cutoff valves + an accellerator pump, these can be found aftermarket (cheaper) online (SCI or Sabre Cycle ?)

I found a decent rebuildable carb rack on E Bay for around $100, plus another $150 for kits, valves, parts etc...the '79 GL1000 loves this rack..BEWARE: SOME PURISTS (like Randaak)WILL TRY TO DISCOURAGE THIS RETRO-FITTING!!

Good Luck, Carsh

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Sabre Cycle??? Really? I wish you well.

You get what you pay for. If you bothered to read the "purist" article, Randall did a pretty detailedreason for why there is a difference.

However, if it works for you, good. Just trying to give a peek at someone who makes a living working on and tweaking the1000's.

I'm done with this place after 7 years of learning and sharing. It doesn't matter anymore what's fact, just opinion.:byebye::thumbsdown:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Sabre Cycle??? Really? I wish you well.

You get what you pay for. If you bothered to read the "purist" article, Randall did a pretty detailedreason for why there is a difference. ....

X2 on this part.

I have used Randakk's pin repair and rebuild kits and IMHO are the best on the market, plus the info on the site is second to NONE.

To the OP: Do what you want, but if you REALLY want your bike to run well, match the carb.s to the engine.

Bill

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

Don't get me wrong, I would never 'dis Randakk..he's the man..

I've gathered invaluable info from his site and links from it...

and Saber Cycle , yes you get what you pay for (cheap Chinese knock-off parts)..

sometimes they're crap, sometimes they actually fit & work,

for a fraction of Honda OE price...sometimes us poor boys do what you gotta do..

the GL1100 carbs are actually smaller main venturi diameter (by 1 mm?) than the GL1000..half those who do this retro fit seem to love it, the other halfregret it..

sorry if I stepped on any toes...Carsh

:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Carshandco wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I would never 'dis Randakk..he's the man..

I've gathered invaluable info from his site and links from it...

and Saber Cycle , yes you get what you pay for (cheap Chinese knock-off parts)..

sometimes they're crap, sometimes they actually fit & work,

for a fraction of Honda OE price...sometimes us poor boys do what you gotta do..

the GL1100 carbs are actually smaller main venturi diameter (by 1 mm?) than the GL1000..half those who do this retro fit seem to love it, the other halfregret it..

sorry if I stepped on any toes...Carsh

:sadguy:
I agree. These bikes ran awesome from new, so there is no reason that with some work the parts made for that YMM will make it run like new (as long as they are done correctly AND there are no other issues).

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

"sorry if I stepped on any toes...Carsh":needahug:

I apologize for my grumpy ol' arse response. I took out my bad day on you.:sadguy:

I will strive to moderate my aberrant behaviour.:waving:

Hobie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.