Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have never had a conversation with anybody on my CB, just tired of listening to spanish language on it. I am hooked up with Nolan Blue Tooth and use the phone just fine but I still want to be able to use my CB. What channel should I listen to? What is most often used bike to bike? Being an airline pilot for the last 25 years I am slighly tuned in the radio language and would like to use it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kim

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

This might help, copied from the web:

The channel/frequency allocation for the 40 channels are as follows:

Channel Frequency

Channel 01 26.965 MHz
Channel 02 26.975 MHz
Channel 03 26.985 MHz

Channel 04 27.005 MHz
Channel 05 27.015 MHz
Channel 06 27.025 MHz
Channel 07 27.035 MHz

Channel 08 27.055 MHz
Channel 09 27.065 MHz (emergency channel)
Channel 10 27.075 MHz
Channel 11 27.085 MHz (unofficial general calling channel)

Channel 12 27.105 MHz
Channel 13 27.115 MHz
Channel 14 27.125 MHz
Channel 15 27.135 MHz

Channel 16 27.155 MHz
Channel 17 27.165 MHz
Channel 18 27.175 MHz
Channel 19 27.185 MHz (unofficial trucker's channel)

Channel 20 27.205 MHz
Channel 21 27.215 MHz
Channel 22 27.225 MHz
Channel 23 27.255 MHz
Channel 24 27.235 MHz
Channel 25 27.245 MHz
Channel 26 27.265 MHz
Channel 27 27.275 MHz
Channel 28 27.285 MHz
Channel 29 27.295 MHz
Channel 30 27.305 MHz
Channel 31 27.315 MHz
Channel 32 27.325 MHz
Channel 33 27.335 MHz
Channel 34 27.345 MHz
Channel 35 27.355 MHz
Channel 36 27.365 MHz
Channel 37 27.375 MHz
Channel 38 27.385 MHz (lsb, national calling frequency)
Channel 39 27.395 MHz
Channel 40 27.405 MHz

The frequency allocation list is supplied by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) from Part 95 - Subpart D - Rules for CB Service Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Basically any channel that has limited action on it I think, other than 9, stay off 9 except for emergency.

I don't think there is any kind of excepted Channel for Goldwing use. If in a group and chatting they probably will just use the clearest channel they can find.
If riding Solo or just 2-3 people on a trip, then probably Channel 19 the truckers channel to keep up with info.

Or like myself, they may just turn it on, say yep it works, and turn it off LOL

I always forget I have a CB on mine. I never use it, it works fine I think. I don't wear the head set stuff so can't talk anyway I guess. I have turned it on once when riding with others and listened to them to know where turns were etc.. and that's it so far.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well usually if im with a group we just pick a channel off the main bands other than 9 or 19

some of them cb channels you pick up spanish, hindu, packistan ect gets very confusing

and then you got the "trucker lingo" as i like to call it if you got a galaxy radio and are able to pick up the "side bands" thats where most people reside a normal cb off the shelf cant pick this up you have to have a very good cb to do this.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Over on the left coast-SoCal, the goldwingers use channel 1.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

To see if your radio works just go to channel 19, pick a truck & ask if they have a copy. Best way I know of. Just don't get frustrated if you don't get a response because if they're like me the garbage on there tends to keep my cb off & the Sirius on. Or as another option go by a truck stop with a cb shop & ask them for a radio check.

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

We almost always us channel 1 when out on the goldwings.

Channel 19 is OK if you don't mind a lot of raunchy language and worthless BS rattling around in your head.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks a lot guys/gals, great info. I will do a "Radio Check" on 19 today and see if mine transmit. Now, some of you are saying 9 is an emergency channel. Who is monitoring 9? What kind of emergency is it used for? I'm thinking in the line of a freq that combines police, rescue, and military but that would make way too much sense and save way too much time in a real emergency so I must be wrong there.....

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

In groups, channel-1 seems quite popular for most of where I've been, though my local rides are all done on ch-5 (go figure).

Alone, I'm on ch-19 with the squelch waaaay up :)

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Channel 22 near center is best clarity so our group GWRRA uses it.. on rides..of course I don't have a CB

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Yes, channel 9 supposed to be monitored by law enforcement. I think some LE's have scanners that monitor other frequencies but not sure the monitor channel 9 anymore. Our local police monitor some of the CB channels.

I was considering pulling the radio out of my truck and off the bike as I don't hardly hear anything on them anymore. Out hear you can travel for hours and never get a squawk. I don't ride with anyone else that has a radio either.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Our cb's on the wings are fairly gutless. I rarely use mine, exept when in a small group. Seems a few always have carrier problems and screach all over the place, or can be barely heard, even as close as 1/4 mile! When we DO use them, we usually stay on #1 because no one else uses it. jimsjinx

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

We locally use ch 2, thought heard someone mention that is a recommended channel for gwrra members or something, dont quote me on that one though...

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

We always use channel 1 here - I thought that was the defacto standard for GWRRA...

Les

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

lol..thats why i said dont quote me on that one...it may very well be...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

The local GWRRA also use channel 1, unless there are several groups riding in close proximity, then some of the groups find another unused channel.

John

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Lo siento, no comprendo! Hablan en espanol por favor!

:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

1 and 17 are always the ones I've used when riding with a group. I'm normally on 19 when I'm by myself, and since I tuned my antenna, I have great range on mine. If you make sure the SWR is set right, your CB will work as it is suppose to. I've listened to truckers 5 miles away or more and have talked to some 3 miles away.:waving:

Gene:action:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.