Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to all, new hear and have a question. Bike is a 81' GL1100 Interstate. My dad took the bike for a ride to a local gas station. I got a call a while later and he had shut it off and when he went back to start it, there was nothing. I ran over to help and the bike had plenty of juice in the battery, but when you hit the button it would just click. So we got the bike pushed started and took it home. First thing I suspected was solenoid. I replaced the solenoid and made sure the battery was fully charged. Turned the key, pulled the choke out and pressed the button. Started right up with no hesitation. I did let it run a while before shutting it off. A bit later went to check it again, same thing. Worked great. Feeling confident it was fixed I walked away proud! Later that day, went back, pushed button, "click". Nothing. Got my book out and checked for power at the solenoid, everything came out as it should be. But still, it just clicks. Starter doesn't budge. Any ideas would be much appreciated! If you need more info, please just ask. :(

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Did you check the connection at the starter? If that is good then I would lean toward the starter itself. Try tapping it with a hammer while hitting the starter botton, If that helps then you need to rebuild or replace the starter. I also know sometimes dust will build up in the starters and cleaning it will solve the issue.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

What MadDog said is very possible. You need to also check all the connections at the battery terminals, the soldnoid terminals and at the starter motor itself...as MadDog suggested. They need to be clean and tight. You also need to check for corrosion build up at the cables; especially the positive cable. Bend back the positive cover (if it's still there) and look of corrosion IN the cable. Do the same for the negative cable. Corrosion in the cables will increase resistance.
Clean the cables with a small file, wire brush, sandpaper, even a knife can help scrape them clean. The mating surfaces are most important... be sure to clean both sides to be sure. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Run a light instead of the starter. If juice is coming to the starter, then a new starter is needed. My starter out of the bike ran like a barbecue rotisserie, really slow and no power.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Well, William..Whats up with your avatar?? You devil you....

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

you might take the left rear upper mount off and clean the negative end of the battery terminal where it mounts to the engine. it might be giving a intermittent ground. jb

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I'm betting the starter needs cleaned out, maybe brushes. Just like william 86 said.

If you're hearing the solenoid click, then it's working.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I agree with all the above. Sound like the starter is jammed or seized. This can happen if the power from the battery is lower than it should be. They are not difficult to rebuild but if your unsure try an electrical place that rebuilds any electrical motors. I got mine done for about £40.00. I also found that running a new earth to double the existing one helped a little. My second one runs from the earth terminal to the bolt at the rear of the generator cover.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I had a problem with my '76 once it turned out to be the handlebar switch.It was making an intermittent contact.Sometimes it would start sometimes not.With the key on, press the button and read what voltage you are getting to the solinoid. If it doesn't start try jumping the battery cable on the starter, to where the solinoid wire hooks up. by doing that you are bypassing the starter switch.If it starts check out the starter button, it may be burned or worn out.,,

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Threequick tests will narrow this type of problem: (put bike in neutral first!!!)

1. Connect booster cables from car battery direct to bike starter motor connection. If it cranks, the starter is ok.

2. Use large screwdriver to short between the 2 large connector studs on the solenoid. If it cranks, then starter is ok and bike battery is ok. Possible problem with solenoid or "primary" wiring: i.e starter button, ignition switch, etc.

3. Put booster cables on bike battery terminals. If bike cranks ok with jumpers in place, but won't crank with the jumpers removed, then the battery is likely no good.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thank you all for the advice! Gofastandfalldown, I did the checks you suggested, all seem to point to bad starter. Plenty of juice at the solenoid. I am gonna tear the starter apart after this busy holiday season and I will let you all know what I find out! Thanks again and

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Yeah William..Whats up with your avatar, that girl in the middle sure is ugly!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

if it is a starter thats great but dont ignore JBZ's comments about the ground wire. a bad ground can cause intermittent problems and some serious headaches:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

One Important item to remember is NOT totry to turn the bolt on the starter. It is soldered to the inside of the starter, and will break, and the starter will have to be replaced.

Nightrider1

MADDOG355 wrote:
Did you check the connection at the starter? If that is good then I would lean toward the starter itself. Try tapping it with a hammer while hitting the starter botton, If that helps then you need to rebuild or replace the starter. I also know sometimes dust will build up in the starters and cleaning it will solve the issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.