Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

3741 - 3760 of 5506 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
6 pm update, thats 16 minutes ago, fire is now 1,000 plus acres.
Did anyone see the bikers in the video? My son was out on the hiway, says "hundreds" of bikers were going by, temps are now over 80.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Here is more coverage and video, again this is not that far from me, and i just delivered a load of concrete just a few miles from that area friday.

I spent the afternoon inside the house, too hot outside, never knew what was happening until my son told me, its getting worse, i had a similar fire much closer around 1996, almost lost my house back then that i had just bought two weeks prior.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/fire-crews-responding-to-wildfire-near-parks-highway/33576142

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
Yesterday I ride to Morelia, 40 mi away, a nice 2 lane country road, going thru several small towns, Morelia is the Capital City for Michoacan State, so it is large, went to Costco for some veggies and wine, then took my wife to a vegetarian restaurant since it was her 51th birthday, ( me 61 tomorrow ) no rain, but we rode prepared anyway, 15 minutes I entered the bike on the garage, the rain came. Rain almost all night,
Just checked the posts, sorry about the fire, hopefully it is under control by now. Watched the couple of bikers on the first video and someone very alike Grizzly Adams on the new's one.
My best wishes it didn't directly affected you Dan!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I sprayed the "discovery coat" on the fender.
For those of you that don't know,it's called the discovery coat,because it will show the scratches,but will also show if the primer matches.
This one didn't. As soon as the primer hit,and started drying,it started wrinkling,and bubbling up.:frown2:
This tells me the PO used cheap primer,or a Laquer-based primer.
Now,I'll completely sand it all off,to bare plastic,and rub some prepsol,on it.:grin3:

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Looks like its getting under control, its about 12 miles north of me and was heading due south, a co worker may have lost his home, i am offering him my 21 foot travel trailer. Fire is over 6,000 acres now, humidity is only 15 percent, 87 degrees. But they have tons of resources, aerial tankers, choppers, ground crews.
This morning the smoke outside the house was thick, visibility was like half a mile. Dead calm, winds though are picking up, but the seem to be from the east, that is not so bad.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Fire is still uncontained but its also not advancing, it was at times traveling 20-30 mph. Highway is closed right now 12 miles up the road, a co worker had to wait for over an hour just to get home, i am reporting to work at 5:30 am tuesday for a 100 yard concrete delivery, get it done before the highest temp of the day.
It was 88 degrees in Wasilla monday, reports of 93 in some areas. That may be normal in the lower 48 but a record breaker up here, usually i see only a handful of 80 plus degree days during our summers.
Another forest fire sparked up well south down in Kenai.
We need rain now.
I have tractor rig and the recently bought 40 semi trailer available just in case though i seriously doubt it will come to that, in 1996 we had a much worse much closer fire that was eventually stopped a mile from my property, i spent 2 nights on the roof with a half dozen fire extinguishers, buckets of water and wet blankets, my leather welding clothes, two rifles and a pistol, looters were reported plus idiot fire starters.
Had embers floating down on house back then.

At the next Ritchie auction i am going to see about a cheap water tanker with a pump. Whats funny is i actually made a bid on an old fire truck saturday, just the stainless valves on it were worth a fortune.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire guys, hope it's get better up there for you!!! What I'd did with my wing today was to change my front Dunlop E3 tire I bought last year in Summerside PEI with less than 1800 km (made 26 week in 2012) because it had cracked all around the rim on the right hand side through the winter. Does anyone one know how I can get a hold of Dunlop in Canada, the Honda dealer here in New Glasgow said that there hardly no warranty on Dunlop motorcycle tires. I live in New Glasgow Nova Scotia so it not worth it to make a trip to PEI. Cost me 256.00 for a new tire and yes it's a Dunlop because that all I could get around the area as my 130-70-18 is hard to get, everyone carrying the 130- 70r 18.
Again hope things get better up north...had a bad week (my 3 things happened in the last 2 days, wallet very lite) but not as bad as yours.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Changed out back tire, replaced broken lower wind wing, added on scoop, vents, and fender chrome, attached a Ram handelbar bracket for a go-pro, spit polished from stem to stern. Leaving on a 10 day trip Friday to and around Lake Michigan

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I got these painted,before the heat/humidity set in
Slowly gettin' it done !
IMG_20150621_104256153.jpg

IMG_20150621_104306779.jpg

IMG_20150621_104314475.jpg

IMG_20150621_104330675.jpg

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Don't really like chrome.
I'll do the entire plastics of it in the yellow,then do accents with candy red ,and flake.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Well today I installed some led bulbs in the trunk. I bought the pilot bulbs that another member used. I still need to buy more for the front. I bought 1157,1156 & 194 for the fromt marker lights. Also got the new mic installed and now the intercom works. This i am very pleased with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First ride on my new/old bike

"So here's a new idea. Let's just post what we did - and if ya did nothing, maybe this thread is inspiration for you to do *something*."

Got my registration, plate and motor vehicle inspection on my '84 Aspencade earlier today, so took a few trips into town in the rain on this first full day of summer. First time on a bike in about 30 years. Man, did it feel good bending into some long curves along the coast here in Nova Scotia. Love the weight and feel of this bike.

Also bled the front left brake due to sponginess in the lever. Will zip-tie the lever tight tonight to see if that pushes any air up.

Hard to describe the feeling back on two wheels.
:smile2:

Attachments

3741 - 3760 of 5506 Posts