Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

3781 - 3800 of 5512 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Poor Boy continues...Timing belt covers done. Had to go buy a carbide burr to get it done. Alternator is mounted and the radiator work is done. Going to test fit and mount radiator tomorrow.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Ignition switch relocated today. Been needing to do this for quite a while and opportunity has been slim.

Used a spare harness to maintain factory wiring and plugs.
The extension cable is a pass-through type.

My hands had a hard time kof getting to that switch in its factory spot.
This solves that issue.
Certainly more function over form but some other stuff needs to be done before the final cover is made.
...moving forward..

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
I had bought a real Honda logo ignition key months ago, but some how, it just never seem to make it to the key & lock shop.... I will not trust key jobs to a machine run by an untrained register clerk... so I went to a pro shop...

Wonder of wonders, I got the key made, and I got a replacement swivel link for the Pontiac Vibe key set/FOB for the whole total of $2.59 !!

That pro locksmith guy undersells Ace Hardware, Walmart, Atwoods....
all of them, and he does it right.

Programmed 5 keys for my F-150's ignition for a total of $5.00
Ford dealer wanted $75.00 :lash:

I told him, he has my business forever.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jeeze with prices like those I would hope he gets overrun with business, otherwise he may not be there next time you need him.
That is nearly cheaper than his cost

·
Registered
275 Posts
Poor Boy saga continues: Got the radiator finished and mounted. Filled with coolant. Wiring all connected and covered. Anticipation builds! Pushed it out of the garage. Inserted the key and turned...battery dead! With all the excitement of doing the work, I forgot to check and charge the battery! On the charger overnight.

On the up-side: Everything fit together with no clearance problems. Checked the fan (I have a switch to run it) and no rubs. (I had a booster connected trying to get it to start.) Radiator was a challenge since I was by myself and trying to get everything lined up and the hose to the engine connected. All in all, not a bad evening in the garage. Just wish I could have started it! Note to self.......

·
Registered
275 Posts
Poor Boy continues: Installed new battery and fired her up. Alternator kicks in at about 1100 rpm +/-, and charges at a steady 14.3v. Everything nice and smooth until...when the engine heated up the fan started contacting the shroud. When engine was cold there was no contact. The fan blade was contacting the shroud at the 1 o'clock area. I tried to push it up and the contact moved to 11 o'clock! Hoping to be able to move it out of the way so I don't have to pull the radiator again. Other than that, everything runs smooth and clearances for the alternator belt and pulley are good.

I am going to ask on the maintenance forum for ideas to fix the fan contact. And, I had to take a couple of pics of the alternator working!

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Motomano, thanks! I pulled the radiator last night and had to trim the fan blades down. Put it back on and everything worked great! I got plenty of help from the forum! Only thing left is trimming and fitting the fairing.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Out on a shakedown run following head gasket replacement and an extensive remount/realign of the sidecar.

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
What an nice Sidecar and Bike! i only need not to show to my wife or she would found I could do the same with my GL1800...

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Thanks guys!

And Moto, sidecars are great 'doggie' carriers too!

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts
Nice doggy carrier, betcha he enjoys getting his snout out in the wind.

I hooked up the trailer and found me a place to make it easy to load my bike up.
just back it up until the trailer wheels drop into the ditch next to the road in front of my house. that puts the trailer lip about 3 inches below the pavement...

easy to ride on and it will stay put until I get it tied down.

My trailer is too high for me to chance just riding the 1800 up onto it....
going to DaveO430's house on Monday the 13th to get a few things taken care of before the big trip to DC and NASSIR8

·
Registered
275 Posts
On the road again! Poor Boy Conversion is complete! I read where one person said he did it in 3-4 hours. He must have had a fully outfitted shop and plenty of help. I don't know exactly how many hours it took me, I am going to figure it out though. I also had to buy several tools that I did not have.

But, as I said, I am on the road again! Felt good to be back on the bike again! I bought a Vega mesh jacket and wore it this evening on the test ride and really liked it, plenty of air flow though it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sanded the fairing lowers,then removed the fairing,to prep for painting. As expected,I found some corroded connectors ! That explains some of my gremlins .
Now that it's off,I can replace the brake lines,and repair the turn signal cancel switch. Someone installed the arm upside down .
006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

3781 - 3800 of 5512 Posts