Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

4801 - 4820 of 5501 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Put Grab-On grip covers on. Kind of strange, but to install you spray hairspray inside and slip them on QUICKLY. Darned things are so tight I thought I was gonna bust a blood vessel in my neck pushing so hard. Says to let dry for 24 hours. Will see how they work out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Working on getting the fuel tank out today. Got everything torn apart, and the tank loose, but can't get it out the back....Seems like there's no way it'll fit between the rails.

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
Working on getting the fuel tank out today. Got everything torn apart, and the tank loose, but can't get it out the back....Seems like there's no way it'll fit between the rails.

Yeah, you really do have to remove EVERYTHING to get a tank out.

It's rumored that you even have to remove some parts from the neighbor's dirt bike, but I think that's an exaggeration. You can probably get by with just loosening them.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
At what point is it prudent to just mount a new fuel tank on the back seat and trunk or bags,
instead of removing every single part of the motorcycle just to reach a problem filled tank!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hopefully i fixed my intermittent charging problem. Checked the Stator and Rectifier they checked good and the battery is new so Im leaning to yea its fixed. Also ordered me a nice small voltage meter with a USB charger and cigarette light plug that I will install soon.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
every Honda 2 and 3 wheeler thru the 80s has the same connector problem- likely failure.
Cut the wiring back to a good part and solder-splice in a new piece of wire on each line.
Cover with shrink wrap!
Find same type connector next to battery and do the same service for the wires
You dont need the connector, if stator has to come out-- you use wire cutters~

Honda uses same part on cage's cabin fan, with similar result-
if Honda/Acura owner -- thru 2010, ck yours when swapping out cabin fan filter
Cage it just stops running the fan, But on the bike FIRE is a real possibility !!

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
every Honda 2 and 3 wheeler thru the 80s has the same connector problem- likely failure.
Cut the wiring back to a good part and solder-splice in a new piece of wire on each line.
Cover with shrink wrap!
Find same type connector next to battery and do the same service for the wires
You dont need the connector, if stator has to come out-- you use wire cutters~

Honda uses same part on cage's cabin fan, with similar result-
if Honda/Acura owner -- thru 2010, ck yours when swapping out cabin fan filter
Cage it just stops running the fan, But on the bike FIRE is a real possibility !!

I recall this situation long ago on a 93' ST1100 of a friend, bike stops of sudden, found this connector melting; mine was a 91 and this kind of problem with the connector created so much heat, it melted the resin filling the electronics on the reg/rectifier, the solution in both cases was the one you advice Tom.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well I checked my Rectifier today, and its good so my charging problem is probably the Stator.. Just bum's me out. Now Im deciding if I should go Poor Boy or Just pull the motor and replace the stator. I actually like the poor boy idea for the added amperage- bigger is better,LOL!!! Just checking on costs both ways, Im not afraid to pull the engine just dont wan to have to do it every year.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Well I checked my Rectifier today, and its good so my charging problem is probably the Stator.. Just bum's me out. Now Im deciding if I should go Poor Boy or Just pull the motor and replace the stator. I actually like the poor boy idea for the added amperage- bigger is better,LOL!!! Just checking on costs both ways, Im not afraid to pull the engine just dont wan to have to do it every year.
I love jumping to conclusions but it can be an expensive sport.:surprise:

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
You have ckd the 3 wires from stator- at the connector that fails? and the other connector next to battery?
Wait- do you know about the faulty connectors? a major problem hiding in a small space

Even if its had the connector removal done- crimp connectors can fail, solder can break etc. so its worth inspecting those `repairs` carefully

Much better to need a few feet of wire than replace a functioning part... and STILL need to repair the actual problem

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep have cut and checked for out put on all three testing two then moving to the open wire on the other test. Just not much there, and one is plus to minus. Have really thought it over and with all the summer activities and money going out I will try and get a stator ordered this week versus a poor boy. If it goes out again there will be no question a poor boy will go in for sure. Just not in the cards now. I did get a fairing vent and install it and connect the air tube to the vents. Im trying to get some kitchen time to shape me a windshield but the wife hates that I use the oven to heat the plexy glass, but soon I hope. Have done a few for snowmobiles and boats so this should be about the same.

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
John, there's sure a lot of aftermarket stator failures. Maybe 80% or so.

Randakk's is cheap enough, and he says he checks them before he sells them. That doesn't mean the unit will last long enough to talk about, once installed. It looks to be a higher quality part than what I've seen elsewhere, but what do I know?

If it were me, I think I'd find a place that will rebuild your OEM unit.

4801 - 4820 of 5501 Posts