Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

5301 - 5320 of 5501 Posts

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Here's a pic of the installation with some brackets I fabbed (farmer-like quality. Not pretty, but functional!)

Also uploading my first pic... so hopefully I do this right.

Mikey,

goto www.imgur.com and set up an account.
then you can upload images one at a time, or a whole folder full at once for Albums.

works a treat. Here is how your photo will look had you uploaded it to Imgur.com

you just click on the Imgur.com image to make it come up to Full Size, then Right Click on the image, then select " copy Image Location "

then in your post here, you click on the Yellow icon Landscape of a mountain, and paste that Image Location URL there. click OK and you see how it looks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Pulled the stock aluminium levers off and took them from faded black to polished aluminum. Took about an hour but time well spent.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Started polishing the GL1100 valve covers. Pretty tough to get the clear coat off, but will be worth it.
Try carb cleaner (usually a combination of acetone and methylene chloride) using Scotchbite or similar to get the goo off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I learned there are actually grits of wire wheels for grinding, I use a high grit to remove paint and now clear coat. This works great when doing forks on the bike, then buffing them with a cloth wheel. For super tight spots I use a dremel. I have done intake chambers on ATV heads the same way.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ordered a New Windshield and installed it today, a little taller than my Homemade one. Works great though, it will take some getting used too though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I ordered a "plug-n-play" harness for my trailer !

I hope it's as simple as it seems

·
Did...did I do that?
128 Posts
Rode it to the shop to see why it was puking oil.

My son and I replaced the alternator last night and fired it up for about 10 minutes. No problems at all, and it was putting out 13.9 volts at idle. No oil on the garage floor at all, either before or after.

This morning we set off on a ride to Cherryvale, KS and Tommy's Diner for a torpedo burger. Three of us left Muskogee and stopped off in Broken Arrow to meet up with a fourth. I went inside the QT for a drink, and when I came back out, I noticed a small puddle of oil about even with the kickstand. There was oil all over the front of the left saddlebag, too. Sigh. I turned around and babied it to the local dealer while my friends continued on north. At least this time I was able to ride it in instead of having to get towed.

And Tommy's Diner was closed.

·
big PIA
1,367 Posts
Not sure of recommended interval on my 92 GL1500 but changed oil today for 1st time since I bought bike last summer, had 6250 miles since last change. PO marked filter with mileage and date at last oil change and I just did the same. He told me he had was thinking was not quite that many miles ago

·
Did...did I do that?
128 Posts
Rode it to the shop to see why it was puking oil.
The shop called me about 3:30. Turns out we'd pinched the O-ring on the alternator when we reinstalled it.

Service manager didn't want me to worry about it all weekend.

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Loaded the bike up on the trailer and got it snugged down tight, 7 ways from Sunday.

at 0-Dark thirty or whenever I wake up, heading out for NASR-11 in Greendale, IN.
or Lawrenceburg which is where it actually is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Friday rode to Charleston, SC for Va appointments. While on 701 into Georgetown hit a chuck hole and blew left fork seal.leaking a little oil out seal no big problem right.made Charleston ok .after appointments pulled in station and checked air pressure on tires and forks.tires ok front forks down to ten pounds,usually run around 18.adjust pressure up and head home.now the problem starts.every tar snake or bump on hyway 17 and 701 ,as I cross each one get a load click in front end .not when shocks compress but when they extend. Today ordered progressive springs, new seal and dust covers from Dennis Kirk.new parts by Thursday. So on the jack until then.will start disassembling tomorrow. Hope it ain't busted up to bad. Anyone had this issue on their Oldwing.i got 108419 miles and did seals and dust covers I think in January when I did tires.have little over 7 thousand miles on her since then.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Changed the oil and filter on the Hunley. Only 50 miles on the oil, but it was the first fifty since I brought it home in 2013 and did a lot of work to the engine including rebuilding the heads. Moved the seat back ~ 1/2" to clear the side covers when opened/closed. I had run a little MMO in the oil and gas for the last ~44 miles, so I hope it has cleaned out anything that needed cleaned out. Oil was unremarkable - a little ferrous "muck" stuck to the magnet in the drain plug, but all soft like it was rust or such that I suspect came from the cylinders scraped off by the rings early on. A few "shinny metal particles" in the bottom of the drain pan, but no more than I've seen in my GL1800 drain from time-to-time. More likely shavings from head and block leveling that wasn't trapped or washed out when I did that to the right side back in 2013.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I changed the Timing Belts, Changed the oil and filter, Put the other air shock from my LTD and replaced the rear brake Pads. Also changed the Spark Plugs. Before anybody gets to excited about the air shocks being from a GL1200. I replaced the 1500 shock with 1 of the 1200 shocks about 6 months ago. Today I replaced the coil over with the other one and plumed with the air lines from the LTD. The shocks had new boots and I took them apart and cleaned them out and filled them with fluid. With the one shock and the coil over I only run 25 lbs of air and it rides nice. So we will see how it does with a matched pair. Now I get to clean everything and put it all back together. It was a 105 today in the shade so I think this evening or tomorrow morning it will get back together. I shipped my radio off to Sierra Electronic's for the aux in fix. Good time to get stuff done. I'm wondering how other 1500 owners are getting power for the chargers. Are you adding a cig lighter in the dash or do you just tap power some where for a charger in a pocket. Now would be a good time to do this. I thought about just running a line from the battery to the right saddle bag and using that to charge the phone. I could mount a cig lighter in the saddle bag and use my car charger.

Attachments

5301 - 5320 of 5501 Posts