Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

5341 - 5360 of 5501 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Today I cut the baffles off and drilled a couple more holes in the 1200. Sounds awesome. I hope it’s not blasphemous. But having a bike with no radio I wanted something good to listen to. Ha ha
And yet, I've been re-wrapping new fiberglass packing on the baffles for my GL1000 (with Emgo slash-cut shorties) trying to get it quieter.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was a California Friendship 1 when I bought the bike. Only my small dogs rode in the sidecar. Bike and sidecar finish was rough, and green. Had to rebuild all brakes last fall and when taking the bike apart one thing led to another and....panels are patched and painted. Sidecar body is a cross bed toolbox I had laying around. Dogs now ride in a small crate on the top of the box. Trailer, (frame, axle and springs) is HF. Spare tire was installed to break up the wind. I keep my basic camping gear in the box for ballast.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Working the big crowd at WingDing 40 in Knoxville. I was honored to put the Hunley (far back right) in Pistol Pete's display of GL1000s. This group includes serial # GL100000002 - the oldest in America, along with 40 and 104. Also a supercharged '75 and several others. He wanted the Hunley as an example of how bad they can be and still be rescued.

·
Administrator
57,416 Posts
I read on Facebook that attendees were being run off of the premises UNLESS they had bought a permit??
this particular person had a new seat cover installed by one of the vendors, and the moment it was done, some crass person told him to get his ass off the premises, he can't park his bike here and look around the convention center???:surprise:

that is very unfriendly....

spend the time and money to go to one of those things, and then be told you can't park your bike here, you must leave. I will never go, ever.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I read on Facebook that attendees were being run off of the premises UNLESS they had bought a permit??
this particular person had a new seat cover installed by one of the vendors, and the moment it was done, some crass person told him to get his ass off the premises, he can't park his bike here and look around the convention center???:surprise:

that is very unfriendly....

spend the time and money to go to one of those things, and then be told you can't park your bike here, you must leave. I will never go, ever.
Well, there is not one parking space left in the city. Attendance must have way over run their estimates. They obtained the adjacent World's Fair Exposition Center for INDOOR motorcycle parking (huge), overflowed it, and the city is permuting free parking anywhere there is a space (and some places not permitted but not ticketing). But, no - they aren't permitting people that are getting installs to use the limited installation area as their parking area. You get an appointment and pass when you purchase, and are permitted in for your install. Once it is completed you must move it out to allow others in. If that is crabbed about, it sounds like sour grapes Vendors had to assemble at an off-site lot and be marshaled in as unloading space became available. It worked very smoothly although some complained about waiting in line at the marshaling lot. Fact is, there is room to wait in line here, not on the city streets.

Now, compare that to the last Wing Ding here, where they made everyone park about 6 miles away at Chilhowee Park and be bused back and forth. I can understand complaints about that.

Glad I don't judge by what I read on FaceBook.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Doesn't look like much of a crowd. Like the Classic Wings in the pic. :cooler:
Eight of the 1000s, including the oldest in America. This was a photo of a very small area of a huge building that is three stories. GWRRA seems VERY happy with the turn-out.

·
Administrator
57,416 Posts
Facebook is full of Fake News and inuendo, and I have no way to judge the poster's normal attitude towards such things.

I glad a lot of folks are enjoying their trip to WD40, and hopefully able to enjoy walking around and seeing the vendor's wares...

and maybe have a chance to meet up with friends they know.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Hello all. Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day weekend.

Yesterday I pulled the CompuFire alternator out of my 95 se to change the cush bumpers inside. As John had told me one time, the CompuFire is a bit of a PITA to get out. Mine was. Mine had a rear mounting tab on it that looked like it was made for a car mount. That rear tab really made the removal a pain, had to wiggle-turn, cuss, wiggle-turn, cuss. Got the bakelite hard bumpers out and put in the new ones. The barely audible cold start knock I have heard from the engine since I have owned the bike has disappeared. The CompuFire has been reinstalled without the rear tab on the alternator case.

Also took the leap to replace my WING LEADER by Drag Specalties backrest with the Utopia backrest. Nice straight forward installation with the fearful part of putting a knife to the seat of the bike. Measured, remeasured and measured again. Then put the knife to it. No problems. Took it for a nice ride yesterday and like the Utopia. A tiny bit of tweaking of the adjustments to suit me and it will be perfect. The WING LEADER backrest will appear on this forum for a reasonable price + shipping very soon (gotta get some pics).

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Are you sure you used strong enough cuss words Harold? Cuss words are good for stubborn bolts and such, but when you have parts in the way, you may need to bust out the full on GOLF words!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Took off the garmin, ram mount, and all the wiring for it.
Straightened up and adjusted my foot pegs, then a quick test drive to the gas station to top off the tank for the work week.
It's a shame that my commute to work is only 3 miles.

·
Administrator
57,416 Posts
Took off the garmin, ram mount, and all the wiring for it.
Straightened up and adjusted my foot pegs, then a quick test drive to the gas station to top off the tank for the work week.
It's a shame that my commute to work is only 3 miles.

it would take me longer to get ATGATT than to just drive the car

·
Registered
47 Posts
single carb makeover

Today I figured how to attach a throttle cable,(barrel) to the Weber uni-link bell crank! also, purchased a few odds and ends needed to get the project started!:jumper:
Next month; wing goes under the knife.:banana:

·
Registered
47 Posts
single carb makeover

Just could not wait.... had to "test" fit the intake, it fit! :smile2:
Next time I will test fit the Weber carb. Just ave to figure out a safe way to empty old gas from tank and reserve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One step closer

Friday I got to work with Goldwing on the brain. So when the boss wasnt looking I ducked out early! :smile2:I had my car packed with tools and the carb. Long story short, I got the carb in. I went to the traditional rout of extracting gas from the bike, (yuck) but it worked.:NO: Now I have to do some small jobs on bike, but it getting closer.:grin3:

Almost forgot how heavy these bikes are, just about dumped it over! Pics later!:cam:

·
Registered
47 Posts
No Dice

I figured today would be the day to start the bike.:praying: Struggled to start... No idle .... had to keep on the throttle and above 3000 r's. :?Here we go again!:headbanger:

5341 - 5360 of 5501 Posts