Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

5361 - 5380 of 5501 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I installed a trailer hitch so I can use a hitch rack. I already have a trunk luggage rack.

My copilot has a different take on necessities than I do.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I'm right there with you Power Guy

pulled the front forks for a total rebuild
removed the complete dash for a LED light upgrade and new front speakers
replaced the front tire while it was off
waiting on the brakes to arrive for front and back
also wiring in a new switch and light in dash to let me know when I'm transferring gas from sidecar tank to bike

I seem to always loose track of that until I smell gas :doh2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last 2 months or so, I was doing a major rethink on this single carb conversion.. So far I did away with the Weber 32/36 in favor of a Motorcraft 740. I was having a serious dilemma with the choke side of the equation.. Last night it finally came together! Today, Im going to install the whole thing and maybe, just maybe by the grace of GOD, it will act like it should. I will keep you all posted in a day or so!
UPDATE:Well, it runs! :shock:Thank God. Now the real work happens, just have to figure out why and how to adjust the air mix. I got it to settle down to about 1200 RPMs, but the choke has to to be on half or so. But it runs! Looks like more sleepless nights doing some research on this 740 carb(with pictures). There is not alot of info in this forum. I shot a video of it running, but, no sound. (I have a dumb phone). I would have taken it out on the road, but its blustery here in the Upper Midwest. (mid 30s with 25mph winds) Besides, I only put about 1/2 gallon of gas in her. (I once pushed this bike 1.1 miles and vowed never again):frown2: I never expected it to even fire up! Will keep posting updates as soon as I can. Thanks again to this Forum for all the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rebuilt brake calipers, figured out to place metal slide insert in first and then stretch the rubber cover over and inside the mounting hole. Since brake system all clean and new will research replacing DOT 3 fluid with silicon fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dot 3. Seems like I use dot 4.not that it's a huge difference. I'm signing off ambien is in the system designing off.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
Not a Wing but still a Honda

The ignition switch on my CB450K5 has always been sticky, especially during cold weather. The guy at the local locksmith recommended Tri-Flow lubricant. I used it one the ignition lock and it was amazing. The switch worked so well I had to take the bike out for a ride. Please excuse my shameless plug, but the Tri-Flow is amazing. Here is a video of the ride:

Sorry about the audio, I'm working on that.

·
Administrator
57,472 Posts
1 PM arrived, looked outside and in my T-Shirt felt the air..... hmmmm, not bad at all at 61°F....

Back inside, pull on a hoodie, then my bike's ballistic jacket, then my Shoei helmet, and boots, and let the Piaggio MP3 out of its' hidey hole in the RV Toy Hauler garage.....

and we went riding as fast as that little 250cc can go!!!! yep, it tached out at 8500 rpm for a while, and 125 kph didn't feel all that shabby.... no one passed me, so I must have been doing the speed limit :grin3:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dot 3. Seems like I use dot 4.not that it's a huge difference. I'm signing off ambien is in the system designing off.
Sleep posting again? Gotta watch that Ambien stuff!

·
Registered
227 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
After 2 months of being apart, the bike is starting to go back together. I had to wait all that time for shock bushings to come from Progressive. In the mean time I ordered wheel dampers and installed them a few weeks ago. I lubed the splines with moly paste and sat back for a few more weeks until the bushings came in. It was a bear getting the new bushings on but I finally found the technique. Trying to press them in with a vice, C-clamps and quick clamps, didn't do the trick. I even tried using a bolt and washers to squeeze it in there but no dice. The last thing I tried was to beat them in. Nope. Not by beating the bushing anyway. What I did was set the bushing on a 2X4 sitting on the garage floor. I centered the eye of the shock directly on the bushing. I set an old socked a bit bigger than the eye on top of it. I stood over the shock with my big old sledge hammer dangling just above it. When the mood felt just right, I let it drop. You have to prop the other end of the shock so the eye is aligned with the bushing perfectly and it will go in. If you are off by even a tad, things go flying but you just do it again. One bushing I had to try twice but the other three went the first time. Make sure when the shock comes down over the bushing the other parts of the shock won't hit anything. I was going to put it all back together today but I noticed the desiccant in the compressor was white instead of blue. I'll be pulling the pump off and drying out those little beads tomorrow I reckon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not just for salad, I used vinegar to remove light rust from my intake. Not to bad and very cost effective. I will clean the inside and remove seams and burrs to allow the maximum flow to the cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Refitted Single Carb on bike again. Got it started and after futzing with the idle screw and cable, It settled down to a mere 1250 rpms! Then I discovered it had an air leak! Oh boy. So, back to the drawing board. Not sure the PVC runners are the answer. But still, a major victory in the single carb conversion!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dug out the bicycle floor pump and used it to put air in the wing's tires. They were down to 12 and 14 psi. It has been 15 months since it was last ridden.

Checked the lights getting ready to take the bike for state inspection and found the hazard lights are not working (did not expect this to cause a problem with the inspection) and the brake lights did not come on when the front lever was pulled (brake lights worked with the foot pedal). A little inspection led to a loose wire. The wire was loose because the brake light switch was in pieces.

Ordered a cheap replacement on e-bay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got my new seat delivered yesterday afternoon and hoping to get put on today. I want to get to ride it until the roads are clear but i will be anxious to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
UPDATE: As you all may know, I was trying to get the Single Carb Conversion to work. With all the fussing,cussing and fighting it just doesnt want to work.:ShakeHead: I have exhausted my little expertise, time and cash. Im done with the SCC. I am thoroughly convinced this mod may be for the bigger GLs. Lets have another crack at old Original 4s. :praying:(Any advice other than Randakks kits. (maybe later, no cash now). Thanks for the help.

5361 - 5380 of 5501 Posts