Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

5461 - 5480 of 5505 Posts

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Got up early and did some parking lot practice. I was laid up in the hospital last summer and recovery took awhile so didn't get to ride very much. :|

Later did little wing maintainance. Oil/filter change . Switching oils and trying out Mobil 1 10w-40 synthetic. Installed a new magnetic drain plug. Put a little stabil 360 in the tank. And installed a new flag this time with blue loctite. Gave my bike a much needed washing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Changed my oil and filter, and differential oil changed. Gave it a good washing as well. She thanked me afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
The daughter and I hauled the Hunley to Piney Flats TN for the East Tennessee Showdown. Was awarded the F-n Bomb trophy. I think that's good?

·
Registered
26 Posts
[[email protected][MENTION]YytH;[/MENTION]TE=pidjones;5850435]The daughter and I hauled the Hunley to Piney Flats TN for the East Tennessee Showdown. Was awarded the F-n Bomb trophy. I think that's good?
[/QUOTE]

"Think that's good..." nice trolling :laugh:... i"d rather say stunning, astonishing,
Woooooow what a bike

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Rebuilt the rear master cylinder, and replaced the rear brake hose with a new braided stainless one that my daughter bought me for father's day.

Trying to get it and myself ready to ride again!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Made new bushings for the clutch and brake levers plus a different shifter brace from brass that I like better then the first one I made. Now I don't have to push the clutch lever forward to have the cruise to engage. 1500A

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Guys are doing good.

I have Kevlar fishing line lanyards on my GL1800 covers. The '78 will get them, but needs an easy disconnect as they have to come off when I strap it to the trailer to take to shows. The '79 will also get them once finished.

Keep at your low RPM issues. The idle circuits on early 'wings were very touchy and easily plugged.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
My 1st ride since last March!

it was 73*F this morning and cloudy.

took the little Piaggio MP3 scooter out for a ride to see how my bunged up shoulder will tolerate a ride?

turned out pretty good, made about 10 miles and the clouds started tearing up, and my face shield clouded up, so I went home.
Two (or three) wheeled therapy can cause rapid recovery. At least for the spirit!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
This morning, I backed the '79 out, hooked up my auxiliary fuel cell, and it actually started! I'm pretty amazed. This is the fourth old bike that I've bought, and the first that ran without major work. In addition, the tires are but a couple years old (all others have been old enough to vote), the tank appears to be lined (it has a muddy tan color to it, but doesn't rub off), it has Dyna ignition, and has different PO problems than what I've previously encountered (I like learning new things). Of course, the carbs poured gas all over and the rear brakes are froze. I really don't mind the carb work, but I hate brakes! Also, I need to swap sides with the front calipers because a PO didn't keep track or notice that the bleeders are now on the bottom.

So, once I can get the back blocked up, I'll pull the rear wheel and brake system. I hate brakes. No hurry, though. If I get the carbs rebuilt in a few months I might ride it a bit, but then the whole thing will need torn down for paint and polish.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
GL1500 just turned 100k. Started about a month ago and changed fork oil, plugs, timing belts, (old ones had 50k and looked really good) water pump, new E4s, rear end oil, greased drive shaft splines and changed brake and clutch fluid. Got aboard with wife and headed west from home in Western NC. Hope to maybe never see south Kansas again but Colorado is a different story. Mesa Verde, Hwy 550 Durango to Montrose, up Arkansas river, Rocky Mtn. park, Steamboat Springs, corner of Utah including Flaming Gorge, into Wyoming to Yellowstone. Was going on to Glacier Park but bad weather and rip off motels forced us to head east where a new buddy put us up for a couple of days in Deadwood SD JUST AFTER THANK GOD the Sturgis rally. Devils Tower, Crazy Horse, Needles Hwy, Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands. St. Louis arch on the way home. 15 days and 5750 miles. Was going to Oregon Pacific Coast Hwy. but could not face the 100plus heat of Utah and Nevada. Disappointed to miss Glacier but at leased we did'nt get battered by the hail storms. Hopefully get to fill in the gaps another time.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Finished carb clean, rebuild, PO repair (hopefully fixed more than I broke) of wrong jets, missing float valve filters, stripped threads, wallowed JIS heads, shuffled float bowls. Leak tested with isopropyl, fixed the one leaky float seat (just needed a polish), let it set 24 hours and leak-free. Drained and awaiting some pretty-work on the intake runners. Rear bake rebuild kits are in and I'll start that next. Seriously considering reassembly after brakes are sorted to use it for a daily driver while weather is good. This would point out any problems that need addressed when weather turns cold (and the 1800 returns to DD duty).

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Mounted the carbs, but had binding in the throttle return. turns out the push cable is broken. On order along with points. I'm switching it back to points from Dyna S because I want to experiment with Ford TFI modules driving the coils. Also mounted and wired the original taillight and signals. Had to splice in a lot of wire for them, but was able to cannibalize the correct colors from the junker harness.

Attachments

·
big PIA
1,369 Posts
Changed the oil in my 02 for the 1st time today in preparation of Midwest meet and greet.
Also hooked trailer to bike for 1st time this evening and had it partially loaded for our trip, pulled the trailer about 3 or 4 miles to see how it handles. could see it in mirror but could not really feel it so I believe I am good to go

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Okay, technically I did nada. I sat in the garage and stared at the GL1200 for quite a while. The thing has old (is it Markland?) floorboards and a heel-toe shifter conversion on it that I just loathe from an ergonomic standpoint. Too bad, because you'd think that setup would be the bee's knees. I'm sure it probably is for most folks. Not for me evidently. I don't know how many times I've missed gears, knocked it into gear by accident, and frantically searched for the back brake lever with my foot since buying it a couple weeks ago. But hey, it's an old GL1200 and I knew there'd be gold deeper down if you dug for it. Tried ordering a couple used foot pegs to take it back to stock but what came in the mail today doesn't look like a correct fit to me. Will know more when I get the ambition to actually place a wrench on it and remove some of the bling, I suppose. Slight tinge of fall weather is in the air and my energy levels usually jump exponentially.

5461 - 5480 of 5505 Posts