Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

5481 - 5500 of 5501 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Took a few minutes to change out the Delo 400 SDE (replacement oil for LE) 15W-40 after 5K and put in Rotella T6 5W-40 along with new K&N Oil filter. I'll take it out for a short "DAM" ride this evening once it cools down around here, , , close to triple digits this afternoon. UGHHH, , ,

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I got my braided stainless front brake hoses installed today. I'm still trying to hunt down the short in my brake light circuit. Unplugged both switches, and it stays on.

Hopefully, I'll get my carbs back from Pistol Pete's this week, too! :grin3:

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts
Took a few minutes to change out the Delo 400 SDE (replacement oil for LE) 15W-40 after 5K and put in Rotella T6 5W-40 along with new K&N Oil filter. I'll take it out for a short "DAM" ride this evening once it cools down around here, , , close to triple digits this afternoon. UGHHH, , ,
I agree with the oil change, same that I am using in my 1800 now.

but, K&N? that would be the bottom of the list for me.
so many good products to choose from, don't skimp on $$ for an oil filter.

OEM Honda or NAPA GOLD 1358 ( has the longer case ), same fluted top for the oil wrench.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
but, K&N? that would be the bottom of the list for me.
so many good products to choose from, don't skimp on $$ for an oil filter.

OEM Honda or NAPA GOLD 1358 ( has the longer case ), same fluted top for the oil wrench.

HMMMM, , , I have read that the K&N Air filter had a poor performance record, , ,BUT this is news to me regarding the K&N Oil filter. John, I respect your opinion greatly, ,I'll look around for the NAPA or OEM filter. Thanks for the heads up too.

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts
HMMMM, , , I have read that the K&N Air filter had a poor performance record, , ,BUT this is news to me regarding the K&N Oil filter. John, I respect your opinion greatly, ,I'll look around for the NAPA or OEM filter. Thanks for the heads up too.
one thread here https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/668427-how-many-oil-filters-numbers-oem-honda.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Which ones to avoid?
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6742

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4382617-post3.html

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I got my bike inspected and registered today, after 5 years of not being able to ride.

The carbs were rebuilt by Pistol Pete's son Mark. He did a great job. They have never run this good!

I only put about 10 miles on her today, but I'll be changing that! :grin3:

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts
I got my bike inspected and registered today, after 5 years of not being able to ride.

The carbs were rebuilt by Pistol Pete's son Mark. He did a great job. They have never run this good!

what is Mark's contact info?
I don't have it, and a lot of folks would benefit if it is wider known.

PM me if needed.

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Adjusted the clutch on the '79 IAW the manual - much better! Swapped the tach drive with one from a bad fuel pump. I think the tach drive oil seal had been leaking - a PO had smeared clear silucone on it. If this one doesn't seal, a new seal is on order. Changed oil and filter on the '06 due to temp pegging high yesterday stuck on a one-lane road fir 2.5 hours to go 10 miles. Also installed a Bluetooth receiver on the '06 to permit GPS audio to use Aux input. Garmin neglects to include wired audio outputs on new Zumos.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts

I forgot to mention, I had my GL1000 inspected at the local Harley dealer. They liked it because it was so old. When the inspector got on to test the brakes, he started it up and said, "Oh, wow! This thing is SO smooth!"

There were over 50 Harleys (and a few triumphs), mostly newer ones, sitting outside the service bay. My bike looked old and small compared to them, but got the attention from everyone!

:grin3:

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Yesterday took the Hunley to Brushy Mountain Penitentiary for their Pistons in the Prison show. Today, I cut a new tab for the '79 left side cover and glued it on (ABS plumbing cement) then removed the bimetallic thermometer from the meter panel. It was reading a volt low. Replaced it with an LED digital. Might start building a harness and heat sinks this week for experimenting with a couple Ford TFI modules for the ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I went for a ride with my daughter today. She rode her Yamaha R6, and I was on my GL1000.

It was a great ride down some twisty country back roads. We had fun, and got to spend some time bonding.

This was the first time that I actually rode with someone else, other than some very short rides when I was a kid, and I have been riding since 1972!

·
Registered
545 Posts
New timing belts in the 1100, were 13 yrs old, 45,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went to D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe and had the clutch and brake fluids changed. They also changed oil/filter last week and I had new tires installed. Ready to ride for the season..... Jim

5481 - 5500 of 5501 Posts