Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

5521 - 5532 of 5532 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Not happy with the POR-15 engine enamel this time. The aluminum color doesn't level well like the MG Maroon did, and although I spent about a half-hour stirring it, came out very streaked looking. It will do as this is not a true restoration, just a rescue.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Yesterday I installed new-to-me front forks and a Super-Brace. In the process I found that the fork guard/beauty cover mounting hole bottoms were damaged. one side was broken out completely the other side was mostly broken out- so i broke it the rest of the way with one finger. I was probably close to losing it on the road.
Here's how I fixed it- I bought tapered rubber plugs and longer m6x1.0 stainless SHCS. I pushed the plugs into the holes as hard as I dared (didn't want to split the plastic) but compressed in there tight enough to hold it for me while I cut the excess with a knife and also hole it for me to drill thru it.
Topside View with plugs
Bottom view before cutting with knife
installed on the bike
This is mounted very nicely and probably more stable than it was new. I need to trim the topside rubber better or maybe cap the rubber with a stainless washer...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Today (04-09-2020) I installed a ball type fuel petc0ck in line.

Couple years ago I decided to use a larger metal fuel filter, like used on some cars. I had found that the metal line from pump was 5/16" but the OEM hose expanded to 3/8" in the line from the tank outlet to the OEM filter. What I did that day was make a 5/16 to 3/8 adapter and form metal lines that run the fuel from tank exit over in a steady curve down the left side top of tank to the rear of the tank where I transition with a short piece of 5/16" rubber line to connect to the fuel filter, then connect same way to more metal and run forwards up top of tank on the right side where it connected to a rubber line about 8" long to my adapter to step up to OEM grey Honda 3/8" curved hose to the vacuum petc0ck. The adapter resided where OEM filter once did. I simply took the one end of ball valve and pressed a piece of 3/8 copper tube over it, and secured with two roll crimp (I have several tube cutters, but one has a dulled cutter wheel, it swages a roll crimp in copper now), the ball valve is now my adapter too. (I thought about solder, but didn't want to mess up seals) I did this to both give me a bigger filter (Purolator F44663 or equivilant) and put it in an easily accessed place for service.

I know I can run fuel down in carbs by pulling the vacuum line off the OEM petc0ck, but I decided to put a ball type fuel valve there where easy to access with just opening the fuel door. The filter remains under the seat at rear of tank in "void area". I also removed the OEM vacuum petc0ck and bracket, slotted those two holes so in the future if it leaks, I can loosen the two lower screws with a short bit in 1/4 ratchet wrench through the gas door easily, lift out of slots and service it in place just pulling the vacuum hose side off and leave fuel hose part in place hooked to fuel hoses, just replacing rubber parts.

So now, I can starve the carbs prior to storage by manual ball valve through fuel door. I also have some new FI rated hose & clamps to install, but what is on it is great. Filter has a little over 1,000 miles use on it.

It was something to do as well.
[/I]

·
Administrator
58,735 Posts
IMO,
that is a great mod.
contrary to a lot of folks who will bitch that the vacuum petcock is gone.

I was going to do exactly that on my '98SE before I decided to sell it first.
I like knowing, that the carbs are DRY.....

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
IMO,
that is a great mod.
contrary to a lot of folks who will bitch that the vacuum petcock is gone.

I was going to do exactly that on my '98SE before I decided to sell it first.
I like knowing, that the carbs are DRY.....
Thank you Sir!
… DRY carbs when in storage = GOOD.
… and I like the idea of the vacuum operated petc0ck in shutting off fuel flow when just parked like just overnight at motel or while dining out, gassing, etc.

I did pull the seat and replace the fuel line with FI rated hose I had bought for that, the petc0ck had one removable end so I removed it, set the plastic like seal aside, soldered that piece of 3/8 copper to the smaller 5/16 barb to seal it for sure (glad I removed the seal first) after sanding the plating off the brass, then put it all back together, & took some pics of dusty trike too.

In line with hose is "open" or "on", 90 degrees is "off" or "closed".

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
New Front rotors and pads went on today.. New rear tire/rear shock / rear rotor and pads going on in 2 days.. Should make her feel like new again.

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
4,790 Posts
Sold it.

It was time to let her go to a new home. My arthritis has gotten to where riding is no fun any more plus it seems there are more inattentive idiots out there every day.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Over an all day process of changing the rear tire last weekend I also "cleaned up" the trailer wiring harness by removing about 3 feet of extra wire and installed a covered 4 prong plug.
Pictures are worth a thousand words...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Sold it.

It was time to let her go to a new home. My arthritis has gotten to where riding is no fun any more plus it seems there are more inattentive idiots out there every day.
Hope you find other pursuits as enjoyable but less painful.

·
Just one of the guys
4,790 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
OH DOUG !! That Mustang will turn those pesky Roundabouts into Drift Opportunities !!
Go ahead - Have some Fun !

·
Registered
392 Posts
Put a new front tire on, old tire got about 20,000 miles on it, so I bought another Dunlop E4 for the GL1500. Got tire on and the bike would not start, only 10.7 amps after charging the battery not enough to start the bike. Back to the shop for a new battery, the old one lasted 3 1/2 years, so I guess it was time. I went ahead and bought the battery from a Dealer in Madera Ca. Wilson's power sport. I paid $108.00 for the battery out the door but it is a sealed battery never add water or any service. Supposed to be good. We will see. I put the shout out for them because they seem to be real Motorcycle people, one of the service tech's rides and old GL 1100 everyday to work and always helps me out with questions, so I really want to support people like that. Well I think it's time for a ride.

5521 - 5532 of 5532 Posts