Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
5601 - 5620 of 5632 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,064 Posts
My wife and I were approved for our Loan last Friday, we close on it this coming Tuesday- we should have a Full tank of fuel in the Wing Tuesday evening if the prices don't go up again.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,474 Posts
install an app on your cellphone called " getupside "
for the first couple of weeks, they will give you 20 to 25 cents/gallon discounts

after that, the discount varies depending on what that retailer is willing to offer to bring business into their store.

my daughter uses it in combination with our GasBuddy fuel card.
discounts of 8 to 11 cents per gallon is fairly frequent.

the shame of it is, I just filled up the Suburban the day before she told me to get one for myself,,,,
darn it, there went 24 gallons of 25 cents off per gallon to fill that truck....
24 times 0.25 would have saved me $6.00 on just that one tank of gas.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,054 Posts
Gonna have to mortgage both Cats to afford fuel for the bikes. Let's go Brandon.

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 2022 Triumph Bonneville Bobber
127 Posts
Nothing today, but thinking back a couple weeks ago. Went on a trip that turned into a longer than expected trip on my 95 1500. Rode from Tampa, FL to Eureka Springs, AR. Then we decided to ride up through St Louis, down to Nashville, and then back home. It was a really good trip.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Was thinking about doing some more work on the 1100 carbs, they're off the bike on the workbench. But I'd have to go get more carb spray.

That might be an excuse to check the air in the tires of the 1500 and hot it up. Northwest Denver is indeed nice today.

·
Registered
'85 gl1200 Limited
10 Posts
So here's a new idea. Let's just post what we did - and if ya did nothing, maybe this thread is inspiration for you to do something.

I'll kick it off.

I took the GL-1200 to Barnes and Noble - looking for a magazine for my wife. (yeah, I'm cheating, it was yesterday, but hey - it's 7am here.) And I used some Plexus to clean the windshield.
Dismantled crash bars removed shifter and dropped pipes to replace starter in 85 limited all to no avail.have to trace wiring .that's what I did. You asked.

·
Registered
83 Interstate
7 Posts
Dismantled crash bars removed shifter and dropped pipes to replace starter in 85 limited all to no avail.have to trace wiring .that's what I did. You asked.
Whoa. Tracing wiring. . . Not firing, rough ride? What did I miss?

Mine is actually doing well even after discovering how much "work" the previous owner did. Wiring included.

·
Registered
'85 gl1200 Limited
10 Posts
Whoa. Tracing wiring. . . Not firing, rough ride? What did I miss?

Mine is actually doing well even after discovering how much "work" the previous owner did. Wiring included.
Yea,it was an intermittent thing,cranks than clicks.now it just clicks.two weeks ago After 50 miles stalled almost home put on battery charger overnight cranked good next day but was raining.cleaned contacts on battery and usallyStarter.no luck until last sat.cranked.replaced battery,no luck replaced solenoid today before I wrenched in another starter.usually I crank it over with kill switch on before I put pipes back on.( burnt up two Chinese starters in first two years) no luck.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,064 Posts
I Put on a new front tire today, balanced out nice with 3/4 oz.
Took it out for a ride and between 25 & 30 miles per hour the front end hops up & down like a badly out of balance tire. between 30 and 55 miles an hour it is smooth riding. stopped and checked to be sure I didn't lose the 3/4 oz weight. Rode it home and lifted the front tire and spun it by hand to check the bead seat and look for physical tire irregularity's - all looks good.
I wonder if the tire rubber is thick/thin in some area?
Any Reason I shouldn't add 2 oz of Dyna Balancing Beads? I have them right here.

Reactions: DaveD

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,064 Posts
I did put them in. 2 oz in the front tire. the effects are noticeable and the "hop" between 20 ish and 30 ish is reduced but not gone. the vibration at freeway speed is gone. - Do I need One more oz in there??

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I put the 1100 carbs back together and put them on the engine. Idles on all four cylinders now. Used the 1500 to go get new fuel filter and some O-rings from Ace Hardware for between the intake headers and head on the 1100. Took a header with me to the store. They had some Viton rings that fit perfect.

Found the throttle "Push" cable is broken. I replaced the "Pull" cable about 10 yrs ago. Not too worried about the "push" cable at this moment, the throttle return spring on the Carb rack is robust and everything is working smooth without the other cable. Made it easier to reconnect the throttle. I'll probably look for another "Push" cable at some point because it prevents you inadvertently turning the throttle handgrip too far in the "idle" direction and stressing the pull cable, trying to make it "push". This can lead to premature cable fail.

·
Administrator
62,474 Posts
I did put them in. 2 oz in the front tire. the effects are noticeable and the "hop" between 20 ish and 30 ish is reduced but not gone. the vibration at freeway speed is gone. - Do I need One more oz in there??
Wish I had mentioned that I always go with 1 oz more than recommended.
the extra just spreads around the tire evenly.
And, it can compensate for other irregularities.

Fer instance, I use 4 oz in the rear tire.

·
Administrator
62,474 Posts
Well,
no Goldwing here anymore, but the Piaggio needs a home, and the Toy Hauler is a huge block that keeps me from seeing Traffic behind me.
Plus, backing it up more than 10 feet is a PITA, 30 feet of trailer gets to going the wrong way in a hurry even with only 2 inches of twitch in the Steering Wheel.

Due to lots of rain, and soggy ground, --- Monday, I backed it into our driveway from the street, which is 350 feet away from the parking spot.... the drive is 9 feet wide...
That was tedious but Slow is Fast, when backing up I have heard....

Took me 20 minutes from the street to the shop, but it never left the driveway.

a few months back, I decided to fix that problem, I now have a 7 inch Screen to show what is behind the trailer....
wish it had been there Monday, but the trailer was in the RV repair shop for 2.5 months, at least they fixed all the problems that I don't have the tools for, and can't do myself.

Now, here is what I did today:

Wood Ladder Yellow Building Shelving

Sky Automotive lighting Cloud Bumper Wood

Had to prop up the Toy Hauler's ramp, much to steep to put ladders on

Plant Tree Ladder Gas Grass

I bought the entire setup, 7 inch DVR Screen which can monitor 4 cameras, I only have two cameras.
A mag mount for the Toy Hauler Camera, so I can take it down when I want.
Extra power cables, and a Fancy Dancy cigarette light plug/switch.... Push a button and it glows soft read, and turns on the DVR Screen.

the Cameras have Night Vision, in Pitch Black, they will light up to 60 feet or more.

·
Administrator
62,474 Posts
Didn't get a good picture, but I replaced all of the ceiling lights in the Toy Hauler with Super Bright LED fixtures...
Wow! the old ones were 1157 tail lamp bulbs, and with the diffuser cover on them, was luke warm yellow at best.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I thought one of the points about those kind of ladders is that you can adjust each set of legs to handle uneven things like stairs or ramps?

5601 - 5620 of 5632 Posts