Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New Sidecar guy
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the rotors from my front wheel to polish the wheel.
What's an easy way to get the old Red Loctite off the bolts?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
At work we use heat to remove then a tap or die to chase threads

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
If the bolts are locked in place and you heat them to 400 degrees it will reactivate (melt) the Loctite.

·
New Sidecar guy
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK this may not be Red Loctite. These bolts came out easily using a 3/8 socket wrench. Bike has 39K on the clock so I'll assume the Red stuff is from the factory.

What did the factory put on the Disc Bolts that is Red in color.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Yeah, I experienced same with my 95. I used Purple Loctite to reseat them, no issues in four years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK this may not be Red Loctite. These bolts came out easily using a 3/8 socket wrench. Bike has 39K on the clock so I'll assume the Red stuff is from the factory.

What did the factory put on the Disc Bolts that is Red in color.

Honda loctite colors do not match commercial thread locker colors.

The red thread locker used by honda is a high temp medium strength product, Hondalock 2HT.
I have zero connection with rockyMt, they just carry most of honda's chemicals. honda's thread lockers are usually half the price of loctite at the local store.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/pro-honda-hondalock-2ht-p

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I pulled the rotors from my front wheel to polish the wheel.
What's an easy way to get the old Red Loctite off the bolts?
I use the steel brush side of my bench grinder to clean threads. Then apply blue loctite for most. I don’t ever use the red. Where you have heat, like exhaust, there not going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
If I clean them, tap or die to chase threads or if dealing just with bolt, a wire brush. Usually ain't much left on them anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts