Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing over to the "Dark" side.

I would probably do the transfer during this next winter, but what do I need to make the conversion? :?

Any advice on type of tire, do I change the rim, etc, etc.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
I am thinking of changing over to the "Dark" side.

I would probably do the transfer during this next winter, but what do I need to make the conversion? :?

Any advice on type of tire, do I change the rim, etc, etc.

Just a car tire and an up to date "will". Cause it won't work!:raspberry::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

What bike you putting it on? I have an Austone on my 15.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
A 1500 or 1800 and the tire to fit the rim..

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Ride a motorcycle for a while and witness how it works, what it's capable of and the forces involved.

Scott

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
assuming a 1500 or 1800 (you do not say in your post or in your siganture) you need the tire.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
This forum should make it mandatory that you include Bike Model / Year and where you live in your Profile.

There are several tires for each, the 1500 and the 1800. Many have had good results with the Austone Taxi Tire $152 + shipping. Some, Have experienced Some issues while using this tire, not necessarily having to do with the tire, but what effects the tire has on the bike you put it on. I like it because it's taller than a MC tire, so my RPS are 250 less at 65 MPH. It holds the curves great and I should see a lot more miles out of it than a MC tire. Mine get a little squirrely on the highway when I go around a slight bend in the road. Nothing major....... as I have seen others experience. I think there are to many variables that change with the added height to say it is caused by any one thing. Your experience may be different.

I just installed a Yokohama Avid Envigor on my 1800 and love it so far after about 1200 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Looks like the force has drawn in the darkside haters already! LOL

Just need a 1500 or 1800 and a car tire to fit the wheel which is not too wide or tall for the frame/bike. Several to choose from for either bike. I run an Austone on my 1500 myself.

The anti-darksiders fear what they do not know and have not experienced, it is different so it has to be bad!

I guess I will have to replace my Austone soon though as it is going bad now already, lost nearly 2/3 of it's tread in only around 20K miles, only 1/3 tread left till it will be bald! Evil darkside tire, only good for maybe 30K safe miles! LOL

All weather conditions (other than snow or ice) such as 19F cold, high desert heat, nearly flooded roads in severe storms, never a problem and never lost traction!
High speed Interstate, windy twisty roads, mountains, flats, HARD breaking, never a problem or lost traction!
About 5K+ miles pulling a very heavy 4x8 trailer too!
EVIL TIRE! LOL

Course, I'm crazy and will be putting a new Austone on the 1500 again soon, I have it sitting in shop now waiting, just don't need it yet.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Make your own decision...

Many have succesfully switched to a car tire on their 1500's and 1800's for the rear ...

Many also say it will not work....although there are 1,000's of riders covering 1,000's of miles doing it...

DO THE RESEARCH - and decide if it is for YOU.

I did ....;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I keep hearing. 1500 or 1800

Is this possible on either a 1000 or 1100?

Thanx for any info
geo

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Not that I am aware of. No manufacturer makes a tire with the narrow/tall profile required. I think a few have done it with 1200's, but mainly just the 1988 newer crowd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not that I am aware of. No manufacturer makes a tire with the narrow/tall profile required. I think a few have done it with 1200's, but mainly just the 1988 newer crowd.
Ok thank you for the reply.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW....what a response, some for and some not. Did some research and results look more to the positive side of doing it rather than not doing it. Wondering if anyone has had a really bad experience?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Some have had all kinds of experiences.
It boils down to basically this if you go Darkside:

Two sizes available: 175/60/16 and 175/80/16

The 60 series tire will increase cruising rpm about 250 because it is shorter. Zero clearance issues, but tougher to use centerstand. Many choices including winter and run flats available at good prices. However, requires a little more steering affort and provides a much more upright feel, especially on corner exit.

In the 80 series tire there is only one- the Austone. Some rubbing on many bikes, but ways to address it and most are fine with the trade off. Lasts 30-35k give or take, taller so rpm drops about 250, very easy centerstand use. Feels closest to a MC tire in daily use. Quieter than a MC tire and more comfortable ride. Increased resisitance to punctures.

I like the Austone because I use the centerstand a lot. There are many threads on the pros/cons of each side. Some have run a 175/70 (or 75?) 16, but it is no longer available. To me it feels VERY much like a MC tire. I have scraped pegs several times and never felt in danger.

Angle of lean changes with each when on centerstand. Cost per mile is much more favorable than a MC with either, both offer superior traction, especially in wet/poor weather, as well as increased braking ability.

It has been pointed out the rims are differnt style (car vs. bike) but I have not heard of anyone having a problem related to this. Just research it and make your own decision since you are the one doing the riding.
Rich

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.