Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

for other kind of bike i would go for it.... but on the goldwing i would go for the external alternator mod.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I think it's purdy.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

i dont know i have been eyeballing it too:grinner:

by the way rudy..your avatar makes me grin every time i see it..dont know if that was your idea or not but i love it

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

William_86 wrote:
for other kind of bike i would go for it.... but on the goldwing i would go for the external alternator mod.
I love the idea of the external alt. However my Wing is nekkid. And an alternator hanging off one side of it would look like..well ...like shite.

I haven't ruled it out though. In fact if the mod Dan Filipi is workin on is ever finished, and i I can afford it i will most likely opt for that.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

noobrider1 wrote:
by the way rudy..your avatar makes me grin every time i see it..dont know if that was your idea or not but i love it
It was. But I think it scares the horses. Wait till you see my New Years one tomorrow.
Hope you think it's good too.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Hey Broke, I just put an electrosport stator in mine. It looks the same as the one you are looking at. It has been in my bike for about two months and so far so good. I get 14.4 volts at idle an 14.3 volts at 3000 rpm's. My bike is a 1980 GL1100 standard with Vetter fairing. It took me about 8 hr's from start to finish to put it in. Not a hard job,just takes time. I went with the stator replacement because I wanted to keep it stock. Good luck with yours. Dwight

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hey Dwight,

thatnks for the tip. where id you buy it and how much was it?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
William_86 wrote:
I love the idea of the external alt. However my Wing is nekkid. And an alternator hanging off one side of it would look like..well ...like shite.

I haven't ruled it out though. In fact if the mod Dan Filipi is workin on is ever finished, and i I can afford it i will most likely opt for that.
If you got a nekkid wing, that stator won't work. Auction clearly states for for '80-'83 Interstate and Aspencade.

:X

Is it any different that what guys like Parts N More sell?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I looked at his feedback and it seems he has alot of satisfied customers and a few unhappy ones. But for the amount of sales he's done I guess I would give him a try if I needed one. 20% more output then stock, and a one year warranty. Most places won't warranty a electrical part. The big question is ,is it worth it to you?.,,,

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Bought it at my local Honda dealer for same price as the one on ebay and no shipping charge. Also bought a new oil seal for the output shaft and a new rear case gasket. About $180.00 and 8 hr's to do the job. Dwight

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Who is going to do research and see if the stator is 20% better?

Rudy that avatar looks like Dennis Pennis aka the comedien?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

I replaced the stator & voltage regulator on my GL1000 last year -( they also offer a package price for the combo), so far is operating perfectly -I haven't had any problems - the only extra load I have is 35 watt driving lights -which I only use when night riding - does not seem to draw down the voltage much.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Some of these stators are 18 pole some are less. Try to match the pole set to your existing at a minimum. Pole cause higher frequency, but if too many compared what you have the diodes might not react fast enough. It depends on quality specs, see if you can get the specs first. eg. military is best, auto is not. Ask what is breakdown voltage?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I bought and installed one of these stators from this ebay seller
about three years ago on my #2 GL1200. I didn't own the
bike at the time. I was doing the job for the previous owner.
I had replaced the stator in my #1 GL1200 back in 1997 with
an OEM stator, so I knew I could replace the stator in this
other 1200.

Well, after spending many hours on a hard, concrete
floor fixing the bike, it turned out the new, blue stator lasted only
a couple of weeks. I bought the bike just to get out from any responsibility.
Got a good price and a color matched trailer in the deal. Then the OEM
replacement stator went out on my #1 1200, after working for 35,000 miles.

So, I had two GL1200's, both with dead stators. That's when I decided to put
alternator mods on both. Glad I did. I installed the Dupli-Tech mod kits.

Here's my theory on why the "blue" stator died so soon......Even though
I bench checked the regulator to make sure it was not shorted or open,
and after starting the bike up it showed good charging voltage,
I believe it was "weakened" when the original stator failed thus
failing itself soon after the new stator was installed.

I'm sure the blue, aftermarket stator in question here is as good
or better then OEM, (most likely better in a couple ways, higher
output, better built with acid resistant insulation, etc.).

Moral of the story? I would replace the regulator anytime you have to
replace the stator. Oh, and don't forget to hard wire it all.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

One thing you might wanna do is look thru the guys feedbacks ( not the best in the world...looks like he has shipping problems) and see if you can find another ebayer that bought the same item. Shoot them an Email and see what the response is.

Personally,I wouldnt be in a hurry to buy anything from this guy seeing all his negative feedbacks. Find another supplier.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

You can order direct from rmstator.com and mine has been working great. Normally when you get the first stator replaced, your problems should be over. Cut the plug off and hard wire it. By the way, my Honda dealer wanted $309 just for the OEM stator more than two years ago. It's not a bad job to do. I have the body (21 pcs) off mine for a paint job right now and it's a hell of a lot more work than pulling the motor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.