Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think this would be a good topic to discuss. We have all had it happen. You are riding along minding your own business and enjoying the day when you see a dog in someones yard,or on the side of the road getting ready to charge at you. What do you do? This could be a dangerous thing if it runs in front of you or if you do the wrong thing in an attempt to avoid it.

This is what I do and it has worked for me many times over the years. I think dogs actually judge your speed and calculate an intercept course to get you. I try to mess up his calculations. Slowing down won't really work as he has time then to adjust his attack to get you. If he is going to charge from the left I will move towards the middle of the road so I have room to maneuver. When he begins his charge and depending on traffic I will actually turn toward him and just before he gets to me I move to the right and speed up. That messes up his intercept and leaves him standing there. Of course if I don't see the dog till it is too late to set this all up I ride straight ahead. I think the worse thing you can do then is hit the dog while trying to maneuver..

I centerpunched a midsized dog years ago. He was about 45lbs and ran right in front of me. I thought I was a goner. I was going about 30mph on an early 70s model BMW. Just before I hit him I jerked up on the bars and rode right over him. The bike left the ground like I had ran up a ramp but stayed upright. I think If I had tryed to miss him it would have been bad. Killed the dog but I rode home unscathed..

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
imported post

Dogs instinctively plot an intercept course. How you avoid them is by slowing down, which causes them to change their course, then speed up. They can't react quickly enough.

From the Oregon Motorcycle Manual:
"If you are chased, downshift and approach the
animal slowly. As you approach it, accelerate away and leave the animal behind.
Don’t kick at an animal. Keep control of your motorcycle, and look to where you
want to go."

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

The manual is correct, it has worked for me on several occassions. Before I found that out, I used to just shoot at them (never hitting them) but the local police didn't like that too much.:D

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

There's a rottweiler in one of my normal travel routes, and the "slow down, downshift, speed up and away" technique has worked well for me.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
imported post

Back in the 70's when I lived in San Diego, there was a small dog that always ran out to "greet" me on one of the streets I used to use to get to my apartment. I usually was able to avoid him but one evening after a particularly gruelingflight (I was flight crew in theNavy)I was tooling down the street about 45 mph and totally forgot about my little "friend". He came shooting out from between two parked cars and instinctively I tried to kick him away as he was right "there" on my left side... I was wearing steel toed flight boots at the time. I don't know where onhimmy boot caughtbut it was soft and the dog went sailing.

I never saw him again. I don't know if he learned his lesson, died :angel2:, or both... I felt kinda bad the rest of the way home but dammit, there were leash laws in SDeven at that time. There were so many houses in that areathat it would have been impossible to try and locate any owners, etc...

Still to this day, I wonder what actually happened to the critter:baffled:

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

i had a shepherd that used to do that to me all the time, i fixed the problem by stopping, dismaounting and taking the time to say hi and give him a pat, from then on he would rush to the footpath and stop when he realised it was me, every now and then i would stop again just to reaffirm the friendship, never a problem for yrs after....:goofygrin:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:
i had a shepherd that used to do that to me all the time, i fixed the problem by stopping, dismaounting and taking the time to say hi and give him a pat, from then on he would rush to the footpath and stop when he realised it was me, every now and then i would stop again just to reaffirm the friendship, never a problem for yrs after....:goofygrin:
I have found an ammonia squirt bottle reduces the investment in time considerably.
After that they just stay in the yard and bark.
Pavlov had it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

good ole pavlov, where would we be without him.............:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

as the others, I do the slow down speed up procedure. I haven't been caught yet

·
Just one of the guys
4,795 Posts
imported post

Dogs just chase for fun nearly all the time. They lay there in the yard wishing for something to do all day. I notice they chase bikes, snowmobiles and ATV's when they ignore cars. I guess they see the human on board and want to have their fun too.

They also like to chase us because they ALWAYS win. Think about it, he chases you, you speed up and run away, his territory is once again safe, He won. If you really want to freak him out go out on a small super nimble bike and chase him, the unexpected reaction is priceless, most dogs head for the porch. I used the chase them home trick on many, many dogs while riding horseback. Once the horse figured the game out it was tons of fun to chase dogs for the horse and me. Most dogs just gave up and watched us pass after a couple of times of this.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
Dogs just chase for fun nearly all the time. They lay there in the yard wishing for something to do all day. I notice they chase bikes, snowmobiles and ATV's when they ignore cars. I guess they see the human on board and want to have their fun too.

They also like to chase us because they ALWAYS win. Think about it, he chases you, you speed up and run away, his territory is once again safe, He won. If you really want to freak him out go out on a small super nimble bike and chase him, the unexpected reaction is priceless, most dogs head for the porch. I used the chase them home trick on many, many dogs while riding horseback. Once the horse figured the game out it was tons of fun to chase dogs for the horse and me. Most dogs just gave up and watched us pass after a couple of times of this.
thats what thinking outside the box does doug, good man at least it didn't take a text book to solve ya problem..............:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

I had a SilverWing with a sidecar back in the late 80's. One of my neighbor's dog used to come running out when I came by and chase the bike. I used the slow down/speed up method for a long time with great success. Then one night the misserable mutt decided he needed to sit outside my bedroom window and bark his fool head off. I fired up the SilverWing and chased him down the street for about 2 blocks and then back up till he ran under his porch. I kept just enough behind him to keep the sidecar from hitting him. I didn't see him for about 3 days after that but then when he resurfaced he would always make a beeline for the porch when he heard my bike in the area.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:
good ole pavlov, where would we be without him.............:cheeky1::cheeky1:
Not Pavlov but where would we be without the dog. Who let the dogs out!! :cheeky1:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Anyone ever given 'em a blast with a Stebel :baffled:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mkbwatts wrote:
Now that you mention it, no.

Now I gotta go hunt up some test cases.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
mkbwatts wrote:
Now that you mention it, no.

Now I gotta go hunt up some test cases.
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:Hey Rudy! When you get done, LMK! We'll trade war stories! Actually, I have been patiently waiting for the perfect time to scare the bejezzes out of someone with this new horn! Nobody is biting either! Grandkids don't count, I guess. But boy, did they jump!!:grinner::grinner:

I am evil papaw! I am evil papaw!:cooldevil::cooldevil: Wendell

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

retiredintime wrote:
I centerpunched a midsized dog years ago. He was about 45lbs and ran right in front of me.
Never had a close encounter with a dog, but got caught off guard while blindgating another car. Silly me, that dead racoon appeared from under the car in front of me and let me tell you, that was one large animal. Thought the bike was coming off the ground. Wake up call! Didn't smell to good either!:shock:Wendell

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Wendell wrote:
retiredintime wrote:
I centerpunched a midsized dog years ago. He was about 45lbs and ran right in front of me.
Never had a close encounter with a dog, but got caught off guard while blindgating another car. Silly me, that dead racoon appeared from under the car in front of me and let me tell you, that was one large animal. Thought the bike was coming off the ground. Wake up call! Didn't smell to good either!:shock:Wendell
At least it wasn't a stunk. :goofygrin:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

I usually employ the slow down/speed up technique. Sometimes I'll lay on the horn as well. Some dogs are confused/frightened while others it just seems to enrage.

I have often given a little swerve in their direction, this almost always confuses/frightens them into at least stopping if not running away.

Years and years ago when I was still riding leg powered bikes. There were these two dogs at this one house on the only road to my best friends house. These dogs terrified me for years. Even biting me on ocaision.

One day I decided I'd had enough of these hell hounds and I was gonna set them straight. I stopped about a half mile up the road from the house these to dogs seemed to belong to. And i got myself three good throwing sized rocks.

Being younger more agile and quicker to heal throwing stones from a speeding bicycle was easy. So down the road I go stalworth and ready to do battle with these two ferocious beasts.

As I came around the curve just before the lair of these demonic poochies I readied the first rock and started pickin up speed. As I aproached I spoted the scoundrels and wound up the first throw. A miss!! the stone went skittering into the ditch and the dogs just went berserk. I swear they wanted to kill me! Their attack was horrifying, all snarling growling barking teeth flashing and jaw snapping drooling and spoiling for blood.

Grabbing the next stone from my sweatshirt pocket I drew back and flung it with all I had, directly down the lead dog's throat. Now I will not claim to have done this intentionally. I will not say that my aim was that good. But by shear chance and dumb luck (well rotten luck for the dog) that stone took out a few teeth and buried itself in that dogs gut.

Well serberus stopped dead in his tracks tucked tail and headed for the back porch as hard as he could go whining and gagging the whole way. The second dog was completely gobsmacked by his partners sudden terror ad before he could figure ou what to do I was well on down the road throughly pleased with myself.

Those two dogs never bothered me, or any one else for that matter, again. I wonder what ever happened to those two poodles.

Just kidding they weren't poodles. They were mutts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.