Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all Wingers. I yet to recieve my manual ( no need as i just ask all you guys for some answers) on the steal of a deal Wing I got.I need to ask you pros another suspension question:

By the way the bike looks, I'm assuming my 83 GL1100 has an air/oil front fork suspension? Front Air Pressure in the frok-what should I run it at?

This much I know: The seals/oil where supposedly recent changed by the previous owner. The fork action on the bike is plush/what I would expectfor its age, however, I am rather annoyed by the following: If I grabonly amoderate amount of front brake, its seams to eat up nearly all of the travel- Think its the fork air pressure? Is the fork air pressure: compresion, rebound or preload?

OKmy one question has turned into multple questions. someone make it simple for me please.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Rudeman,

On my 83 Aspencade the air pressure is supposed to be between 14-21 psi. Mine has the digital display that you can check both the front and rear air pressure settings with. It also has an on-board compressor to adjust as needed. Mine came this way and I assumed they all did, did yours come with a gauge and compressor? Or are they not working?

As far as the front end dive goes when braking,near the bottom of each fork there is a damper adjustment. A setting on 1 is the softest and 4 is the stiffest. I have mine set on 4. Try different settings but make sure you set the dampers the same on both forks.

Hope this helps!

Bob

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

If your bike is not a Aspencade, the front air pressure is the same. You just don't have all the fancy stuff like a Aspencade has.

Set your air pressure and monitor it. If it drops, you most likely have a leak in your front forks. (Don't be shock if it is leaking, the bike is 22 years old) Also check your rear shocks. They could be gone. (keep in mind, people will say what ever to get you to buy the bike) Look for oil leaks from the seals.

If you notice "floating" (hard to keep a straight line when driving) most likely your shocks are gone. If you bottom out going over simple bumps at slow speeds.... gone.

Put the bike on the center stand and measure the distance between the frame and the rear axle. (lets say it 22 inches) Put the bike on both wheels and measure the same place again. Your distance between your first measurement and this second should not be more than 1 1/2 inches. (or 20 1/2...this is a example) Put air in to obtain this goal. If you go over 70 p.s.i. (I think that's the max. pressure) you got bad shocks.

Lets say your shocks are gone. (this may be the reason you got the bike cheap)
Rebuild kit for the front forks cost around 50 to 70 dollars. If you take it to a shop you'll probably pay under 200.00 to have them done. (brace yourself..lol) If you rear shocks are gone, you can rebuild them (kit cost 150 to 200 dollars) or buy new. I bought a new set last year and paid 489.00. Take it to a shop, probably around 700 to 1000.00.

Everybody argues over rebuilding rear shocks or buying new. That's your call Personally I bought new because I feel that is a too important part to rebuild and I don't need a failure going down the road. (if you rebuild it twice, you bought a new set anyway)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

I've got an '83 Interstate with 36000 on it and my suspension is soft even with the air pressures set at max 17lbs(14-17lbs) on the front, 57lbs(0-57lbs,yes you supposedly can run no air in the back)on the back. Like it was said, the bike's 22 years old and things get soft as they get older:DI'm going to put new shocks and front fork springs from Progressive Springs on it. Doing so will eliminate having to use any air in the front and the rears are readily rebuildable in the future.Go to http://www.vencowings.com and check out their prices. They quoted me $299.00 for the rear air/oil shocks and $60.00 for the front springs. That is about what I've seen at other places also but Venco has got a solid reputation.

I've read nothing but good things both about the product and Vencowings.

Hope this helps you out.

Hobie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.