Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The thermometer reads 42.6 degrees F, and I've just come back in the house from spending the last 20 minutes out back listening to my baby run...and I find myself trying to use my "super sensitive" hearing while she's running...just listening for any little tap...or knock...or rattle...and I just about drive myself crazy worrying..and I hear all kinds of strange noises....and yes, obviously I'm not well. I took her on a 30 mile sprint today and she ran like a thoroughbread...just wanting to run faster and faster...but when I get her back to the barn, I start hearing those noises..or at least I think that I do.. Having truly experienced the love of a Goldwing, I couldn't imagine not having her to ride....and I don't know what I would do if something happened to her...I know that she's not a spring chicken, but damn if she doesn't bring a lot of joy into my otherwise stressful and routine life...

Am I alone in my angst, or are there other fools out there that have similar feelings toward there bikes?? Sometimes when it's cold, I just go out back and listen to her run...and I'll sit on the seat..and yes, I've even talked to her..

Just how crazy can you get???

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

the 1200 does make some noise. my 1200 interstate made ticking noises for 300,000+ miles and no worries. the gearbox always whines so don't worry there.

now my 85 LTD makes ticking noises and has a lumpy idle. 1st wing i have owned with a lumpy idle. try using 15w40 shell rotella-t next oil change and see if it quiets down. it should my 1200LTD has and runs way smoother at speed.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Yeah, 1200's make a lot of different noises. Many of them rattle when first started and then quiet right out, like my 86 Aspy, some have occasional or regular lifter ticks, and depending on the exhaust system's age and condition, they have a different exhaust note. Of the 3 I've owned and had running this year, and a fourth that I did an engine swap in, none of them sound the same as any of the others. :dude: Some of the sounds they make can be easily dealt with, like the lifter ticks which can be cured a lot of times with Seafoam, others are no big deal to worry about, like the rattle for a few seconds when first starting them.

John

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Chester, you're not alone, and it's not specific to 1200's.

My dad had a '77 GL1000 that had a tick in the motor that only he seemed to be able to hear.

Never did figure out what it was.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Yeah, 1200's make a lot of different noises. Many of them rattle when first started and then quiet right out, like my 86 Aspy, some have occasional or regular lifter ticks, and depending on the exhaust system's age and condition, they have a different exhaust note. Of the 3 I've owned and had running this year, and a fourth that I did an engine swap in, none of them sound the same as any of the others. :dude: Some of the sounds they make can be easily dealt with, like the lifter ticks which can be cured a lot of times with Seafoam, others are no big deal to worry about, like the rattle for a few seconds when first starting them.

John
I definitely think that I've got a lifter tick...It doesn't seem to be too bad, but it does worry me at times. I've not tried the Seafoam in the crankcase, as I was a little concerned about the possible effects on the stator, but now I'm definitely going to give that a shot before my next oil change.. But, there are times when that tick sounds likebit of an exhaust leak???? I just worry too much..

Thanks to everyone for your responses..

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the world of the rest of us psychotic Goldwing owners!!!:cheeky1:

Of course we hear things. You should hear the prayers I'm saying everytime I pull out on a long trip with Nancy and the gear loaded. :baffled:

But I write it off to being just mental.

My flight instructor told me people have a habit of hearing unusual sounds in single engine aircraft when they are flying over large open bodies of water or larger areas of forest that have no landing areas.

I justs write it off to the same thing. Ride her like you stole her and enjoy every minute.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
Welcome to the world of the rest of us psychotic Goldwing owners!!!:cheeky1:

Of course we hear things. You should hear the prayers I'm saying everytime I pull out on a long trip with Nancy and the gear loaded. :baffled:

But I write it off to being just mental.

My flight instructor told me people have a habit of hearing unusual sounds in single engine aircraft when they are flying over large open bodies of water or larger areas of forest that have no landing areas.

I justs write it off to the same thing. Ride her like you stole her and enjoy every minute.
Having once been a civil aviator (way, way, way tooooo expensive for me), I certainly remember hearing those sounds.. Although I never flew over any large bodies of water, I spent a fair amount of time flying over the Okeefenokee Swamp in my less than desireable 1964 Piper Cherokee 140 (N7069Romeo). If I had to compare flying to motorcycling, I think I'd have to choose the bike.. I never could afford a plane that was fast enough to get the adrenalin pumping...Not so with my 1200!!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

This is my second 1200 and both make all kinds of noises. Most are normal and I don't pay too much attention too them. I know that some noise become more pronounced and by changing the oil cures that . They really don't like too sit for long periods of time.:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have been known to take a couple of extra blankets out to the garage on those cold winter nights for the bikes

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
I have been known to take a couple of extra blankets out to the garage on those cold winter nights for the bikes
It's funny that you mentioned this, because the thought has actually crossed my mind....You too may have some issues, my friend...

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

my 1200 makes all kinds of noises even when it's not running

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I hear things too. On my 1200, when I had it, and now on my 1500. When I pull into GLgreezmonkies yard, he just laughs at me and calls me anal. But I have heard things that needed attention--a belt tensioner, a sticking valve lash adjuster, a hardened alt. drive dampener, the infamous thunk of the 1200--that sort of thing.

Never hurts to worry a bit about your baby. But it never stopped me from riding it.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

The bikes here are in my heated shop. Park them in the cold!!!!!!! Burrrrrrr. Gives me the chance to work on them when I have a slow moment. Today I synced my carbs.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
my 1200 makes all kinds of noises even when it's not running
Yeah, it's pretty funny how many noises they make when you shut them off, all the heated metal contracting and snap cracle & pop. :dude:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
lostinflorida wrote:

Having once been a civil aviator (way, way, way tooooo expensive for me), I certainly remember hearing those sounds..
Not to drift too far off topic but the comments remind me of an aviation joke. A member of a British flying club known for complaining wrote a problem report on a plane as follows; "Engine making unfamiliar noise."

A few days later when signing out the same plane, the pilot reviewed the log books and saw the following from the mechanic: "Engine run for 45 minutes, noise now familiar."

Back to Wings talk.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I just turn up the radio. Then I don't worry about the strange Goldwing sounds, because they all make some strange sounds!:D

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
I just turn up the radio. Then I don't worry about the strange Goldwing sounds, because they all make some strange sounds!:D
I'm frequently running around with my tunes cranked up too, but unfortunately that makes it hard to hear noises you need to hear, like my front brakes making odd noises yesterday. :shock:

John

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

As bad as my hearing is I enjoy riding a couple blocks here in Myakka City without the helmet just to listen to the bike. Now that I've started using an Ipod shuffle, the noises just don't seem to make it over Ozzie or Jimi. :baffled:

I'm alot into the feel of the bike. Vibrations, hesitations and things like that tell me when things are questionable.

That was a blessing when I felt the rear tire getting soft on our trip to Calhoun. We got pulled over and stopped way before it was flat and damaged.

Years back I got a very important lesson on the "feel" of things. While buzzing around in my ultralight I felt a vibration come and go that just didn't seem right. About five minutes later the prop left me at about 800'. I can still remember every second of that adventure.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

lostinflorida

Nothing ever really replaces feel..Whether your driving a car, a motorcycle, or an airplane...And I guess most of my issues with my paranoia about my bike occurr when it's idling....When she's on the road, she's a beast...Again, about a 70 mile jaunt this afternoon, and she was hitting her stride...

I'll just driver her till she drops...and then I'll just try to pick up the pieces...Hopefully they will be big pieces..

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.