Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I usally run 15w40 or 15 w50 syn. oil

But they only had 5w40 syn so I bought it ?

Figure the 5w would make the start ups easier and less strain on the starter?

Book calls for 10w40, 5w40 shouldn't hurt? right or wrong?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Won't harm it at all. It will make th ebike easier to start in cold weather. I know they say we should use 20w50 in older Wings, but I'm not a purist and I like to try different things.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yeah, the "40" (viscosity) is the important part. Thin weight oils pump easier on start up so the bearings dont starve.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks FitzAl and Dave for the quick help, once again !

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Just made the same choice and having experience in refining, a wide spread multivis is indicated in colder weather. It is what they were formulated and refined for. I expect no lubrication related probems in my wing nor yours.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Since we're on the subject of thinking about oil.

Has anyone here ever tried a straight 30W oil in their Wings?

The reason I ask is that I used to have a boat with a small block Chevy in it(severe service)and if I used 10W30 or 10W40 the lifters would become very noisy after an extended 4800 rpm run, but, when I switched to a straight 30W oil the lifter noise no longer occured. I was told by an expert that the multi grades break down severely under high heat/high rpm conditions while the straight 30W does not.

I normally run 20W50 Castrol and I'm thinking about using the straight 30W oil after I put the turbocharger on my Wing, but, I was wondering if anyone here had already triedthe straight 30Wand would they share the results.

What do you think?

Vic

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Straight 30w isn't available over here (at least not over the counter). I got some funny looks when I asked about this in my local motor factors yesterday. :?

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
if I used 10W30 or 10W40 the lifters would become very noisy after an extended 4800 rpm run, but, when I switched to a straight 30W oil the lifter noise no longer occured. I was told by an expert that the multi grades break down severely under high heat/high rpm conditions while the straight 30W does not.
Thats odd. Almost sounds like a pumping problem?id think if the lifters had any sort of fluid inside (regardless of condition)they wouldnt collapse because all fluids are incompressible.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave, I can't give you a scientific reply at this moment, but, my assumption is that something in the multi grade oil possibly allowed some slight foaming to occur and the straight 30W does not have this additive and therefore did not foam. I do know for certain that it was not a pumping problem because oil pressure was constant in both instances with each oil type. I would think that the pressure relief valve in the pump would have compensated for the varying viscocities of the oils different characteristics

I will inquire at Quaker State or one of the other oil manufacturers to verify or refute my assumption. Will post when I get a response.

Vic

G

·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Straight 30w isn't available over here. I got some funny looks when I asked about this in my local motor factors yesterday. :?
Hey FitzAl, :action:Did you tell them that you are a "Guru" on this forum, :clapper:that would end all the funny looks. :weightlifter:

:baffled: :18red: :baffled:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.