Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys use. Just got the bike and would like to clean it up, nothing major, just road grime and dirt from sitting. I am a bit leary of washing it like a car, with electrical buttons, and speakers exposed. I would guess they are somewhat water resistant, but would rather not use a hose if there are good waterless products out there that won't harm the finish.

Also, do you use wax, or chrome polish on the plastic chrome areas?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I would guess they are somewhat water resistant, but would rather not use a hose if there are good waterless products out there that won't harm the finish.
Y'know. I heard some guys ride them in the rain.......
Don't force spray it, but it gets wet and dries out nicely.
After it's dry............Lemon Pledge.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
You're going to get a LOT of answers here on that question and a lot of them will say "Lemon Pledge"! I use it for just about everything on my bike. Do NOT use a spray wand in the car wash, it will get into your switches and who knows what else!

A new thing I have tried on my chrome pipes is Bar Keepers Friend. I used it when the chrome got a little difficult to come completely clean and it worked wonders. Once they were clean I used, yep, you guessed it, Lemon Pledge!!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
Lemon Pledge, Mother's Chrome and Mother's Billet polish for the aluminum....

·
everyday member
514 Posts
Garden hose with the nozzle on a shower type setting and turtle wax car wash to get the heavy grime and dirt off of it if needed. Never use dish soap, it will ruin the shine. After Marg is all cleaned up, I break out the pledge and work her over. I try not to soak the speakers and radio but they seem to handle a little water okay. I've ridden it rain that is much worse then the shower spray on my hose.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Lemon Pledge

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep, been using Lemon Pledge for bikes ever since the stuff came out. I dry clean the bike with it unless it's really dirty then I'll wet the bike down with a hose and a light spray. The water hitting the bike from a light hose spray isn't as strong as the 60+mph the bike gets hit with when riding in rain. Bugs come off the windshield best with a bit of water. Soak a paper or cloth towel(s) and lay them on the windshield for a couple minutes, the bugs will wipe off easily without scratching the plastic.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
When dirty I will use the typical car wash soap, bucket, brush action in the driveway. Then lemon pledge more often than not. Even on the black plastic.
I will sometimes do the car wax thing, but hate getting the white residue out of the cracks or off the side of the seat.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Obtain and read the book "Ultimate Motorcycle Detailing" by David H. Jacobs. It will tell you way more about cleaning bikes than you will ever want to know. It was obviously written by a fanatic, but you don't have to do everything in the book if you don't want to. It is the best information I have ever seen on cleaning and detailing motorcycles. You will not go wrong following the advice in this book.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
For cleaning difficult to clean chrome it's hard to beat Bar Tenders Friend or Bon Ami. Cleans grime quickly and won't scratch.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Garden hose and any commercially available car wash soap, with a soft bristle carwashing brush and a couple of buckets. Dry it afterwards with a microfiber cloth and lemon pledge to shine. Pledge also between water washes to remove grime and add shine. Do not use any alcohol based glass cleaner on the windshield. It will soften the shield and allow fine scratches to take hold.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Based on previous comments, I cleaned mine with Pledge a little while ago. Purdey! We'll see how it holds up to NC bugs and humidity/dust.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
im a fanatic about a clean bike.

heres what i do:

step 1: make sure the bike is cool and in the shade

step 2: apply s100 cycle cleaner or hondabrite (same thing) spraying on starting at the wheels and lower part of the bike and working my way up. let it sit about 3-8 minutes

the cleaner does the work of scrubbing, youll see the dirt and grime

step 3: after waiting for it to work, use plenty (did i say plenty?) of water, the more force you have, the better to rinse thoroughly.

step 4: i use my leaf blower to blow-dry the bike, that way you can get into all the little nooks and less chance of swirl marks in the paint

step 5: for a quick detail i apply honda spray cleaner and polish, leaves a wondrous luster to all the bikes surfaces.

for waxing i use s100 paste wax

washing and a full waxing takes about an hour for me:bow:

bike looks like new, just rolled out of the showroom, ask pwhover!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good input. I used the Pledge today, impressive! I've had bikes for 38 years and using Pledge never occurred to me. Will try Smartbiker's advice on one of my other, (dirtier) bikes. I'm kind of interested in the book mentioned as well. :)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Pledge works on most everything, I use it on shoes, boots, atv's, motorcycles, car's and of course, furniture!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I use pledge more than anything but on the paint, I find it a lot more work to get all the swirl marks out than Honda cleaner does. So I got a couple of Cans of that. I wash the bike depending on conditions and wax it with a paste wax about once a month then keep it clean with pledge or the Honda cleaner.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
If I ever wash it, I'll let you know what I used.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
You have to CLEAN a Goldwing? Won't it just get dirty again?

:ROFL::ROFL::waving:

T.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.