Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I will be adding (at some point) a very custom radio system to my bike to replace the failed CB that it came with. It's an 82 Aspencade. I havefew simple questions:

A) Do you use a CB or a FRS/GMRS transceiver?

B) If you have used both, what do you prefer?

C) What area do you drive in (part of your country)?

I am open to all opinions.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Magic Fingers, If I were you, I wouldn't even think of any other radio on the CB side. As William 86 has shown you, and believe me there good for a CB. I was looking for an original for my bike and the cheapest was more money than the J&M handlebar one. Why would I pay that kind of money for23 year old tech, when you get everything on the handlebar up to date. Just my three cents. :) :waving:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My 86 & now my 97 both have/had CBs. The 86 had unbelieveable range & just as good [or better] than my newer one.

Too bad so many of the newer bikes are selling without CBs...It sure is a hoot to be able to talk to the folks you're riding with, not to mention the safety factors. "Deer over there on the left"...etc.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

A. CB

B. FRS would be better quality but everyone is still on CB that I ride with.

C. SE

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Guys,

Here's the background. I have replaced the Type II stereo in the bike with a custom modified unit. Click here to see the way I broke down a stereo, modified, customized, and installed it in my bike. Most people have seen this thread, sorry I keep repeating it.

FRS/GMRS transceiver which I already have bothhere.It will use the controls (that are no longer needed) in the Type II head. I will also incorporate a driver/passenger intercom into this as well. I love doing custom work like this.

The reason why I ask the question is that I would like to know what other bikers like to use and what the bulk of them use. It takes quite of bit of time to do this type of work and I don't want to build something that I don't get much use from.

That's why I like to get people opinions.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Right on Rudy,

I agree. FRS/GMRS is better quality but if they are not well used, who could I talk too?? :baffled:

Maybe I should do both??

Tim.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Unless you set up a system other than CB on your and some riding friends bikes, and all of you have the same system then it would not be of any value in the mainstream of things. If that is your intention, then it would be quite satisfactory.

If you simply wish to communicate with others, like at local rides, clubs, or just anyone you may meet, or have occasion to communicate with, then you have no choice. All bikes use and are equipped with CB. That is the standard and mainstream communication device for all motorcycles regardless of brand.

I think the CB is a mandatory installation , versus any other if you wish to be able to communicate with other bikes in all situations.

On example of not being able to communicate with others is a large charity ride. We have a couple of them in Columbia every year and the Police help us with blocking traffic and marshaling the rides. They have Fm systems and it is impossible to communicate with them and sometimes it would be nice to be able to do so. But they are an example of an alternative communication system that works very well, but is not mainstream, and therefore totally useless to ordinary riders.

Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

These days, it's tough enough to find bikes with ordinary CBs on them. Even new wings. The few $ saved stay in the dealers' pockets.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I bought me a little (Chepo) New cb, and had to replace it in Calhoun, at NASSIR1, because of the shakespear antenna. I lost my incoming. I could transmit well. I gave it to a friend there, went to a local pawn shop, and bought the model right under what I first had installed. I then changed out my Shakespear antenna with a firestick. Does ok in a ride. I mounted it on the inside on theright side of my faring.

Also, If you get an ordinary CB, gat a boat "Groundless" Antenna, or if you have a regular "Car/Truck" Antenna, make sure it is calibrated. I purchased my calibrator. It also must be grounded (The rear of the ground part of the antenna) with a twisted wire ground, like the ones found on a car engine that goes to a firewall for the best preformance. Works well ifyou can stay dry. I keep a sandwitch baggie with me to cover it if it rains. Otherwise, it is always parked in my shed if I am not riding it. If you are on a limited budget like me, this should work wellfor you.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.