Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This covers a few thoughts and Ideas, and I want honest opions and suggestions towards everything. I post in general motorcycle becuase I think it best fits here and may be most read here, and it's for folks with motorcycles such as all of us in general LOL

I want to plan and set up some meets, mostly around Branson, MO now, but later elsewhere also.

What is good enough for a hotel? Maybe cheap around $25 or so.
When I stay at a hotel, personally for myself all I really care about is a couple things.

I want a clean bed to sleep in.
I want a shower or bathtub or both with nice hot water.
I want air that works so room is cool to cold on hot days, or a heater for a warm room on cold days.
I want to be safe, not killed in my sleep. LOL

I don't want to see any bugs crawling around! No snakes either LOL

This is a bit important question, what's good enough for you if cheap!

I know some of us have no money problems and can stay at any luxury place, but some of us are pinching pennies to get by and kinda need cheaper places.

I been talking to management a bit where I stay often now.
There is another hotel next door I used to stay at often, they now own it also, 2 buildings. The back building is shut down and not being used.
I been told they will set it up and open it for me for a group of about 10 rooms or so booked. That building has 17 rooms I think.
I'm also thinking work a deal, I stay free, work a few hours a day for them free, see what we can get free!

They will block off the whole thing and I can have the entire back building and parking lot for just us Wingers in our group if I set something up. Been told we can cook out and party freely basically. Course we don't do the hard core party stuff, but we do like to have fun outdoors in the evenings.

Primarily, this is a decent place. It is not luxury! It's clean, nothing fancy though. Older Tv's, plain rooms, Just a nice place to sleep, clean up, cook out, go riding and come back to later.

I have a couple deals I'd like to try to work out there.
So what's important to most of you for something like this?

I am talking about being in Branson, MO. right on the strip! If you know the roads like I do then traffic is not really that bad most the time, and tons of fun stuff to do and nice roads to ride!
It's close to enough to Eureka Springs, AR to be a hold over spot. ES7 coming up, Nassir 5 next July, ES8 next year? Other meets for kinda local and everyone other times?

I'm thinking a few various things, like those riding in early or leaving late for ES events.
Got extra time to kill arriving or leaving, Branson, MO can be a fun place.
I used to get tremendous discounts and free tickets many places, but been out of the circuit for a bit. Might can still get deals though, I have to check it out again.

We have some very good literary persons and great picture takers around here.
If I start up my old "Show Review" paper again I can ( used to anyway) get most into shows free, $35+ value per person, just snap pictures and write me a nice honest review I can print of the show.
Why spend a ton when a PC and 20 minutes saves you $70 bucks or more for 2 persons? LOL
Not everyone would have to do anything, just those that want to, but it would help me out allot if I got some show reviews, and you see them free!

I shut down my paper a couple years ago because it was to much to do on my own with no help, send local freinds and relatives to shows free and get nothing back!
Then I had to go see shows free and take my own pictures and write my own reviews and all the other work! Was just too much for me alone.
Just a thought on the paper, not required, but I been wanting to start it back up for a couple years anyway.
In my hayday I could get anyone free admission to almost anywhere in USA and I got a few $K free perks also at shows, amusement parks, free merchandise etc... for myself.
Worth more to me in free stuff than I ever made on the paper itself! LOL

For those with great incomes none of this may matter, but for those who can only afford gas to run a 300 mile day trip and arrive back at home each night for a week or 2 vacation it may mater allot.

It would be nice if we could all meet up and be affordable and fun for everyone.
I know there are some semi local folks that would love to meet up, but they have no money to do so and won't say anything themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

#1)I want a clean bed to sleep in.

#2) Safe bike parking (added to your list)
#3) I want a shower or bathtub or both with nice hot water.
#4)I want air that works so room is cool to cold on hot days, or a heater for a warm room on cold days.
#5) I want to be safe, not killed in my sleep. LOL

Same for me and if at all possible the bike safe as well. TV that works, WiFi. One can keep adding to the list but #1 and #5are non negotiable and #2 is only negotiable under great duress. The restcan beindoor camping and for one night anything is tolerable.

One clarification needs to be made and that is the difference between travel accommodation and vacation accommodation. For travel the amenities are far less important but if you are staying to enjoy the area it's really much better if there are more frills.

Around here you're very lucky to find anything under $60 a night. For a few nights it doesn't bother me but if I was going to be away for a month (Only in my dreams) even $10 a night makes a big difference.

I stayed about four days at one BW and told them I didn't change the bedding every day at home so fresh towels were good enough. I don't know if that would make a difference on a group stay. I didn't do it to negotiate a rate. It just sounded like common sense.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I like the 'Ironbutt Motel'.

Good view of the stars, chirping crickets, maybe a nice soft patch of grass under a tree or beside a stream at times.
No reservations needed, I get to keep my money, and can ride off as the sky begins to lighten up and be 200 miles down the road before breakfast!

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

It all depends on how long I am going to be there. If I am just stopping for convenience sakes then here is the list in order of priority.

1. Cleaniness w/nice bed

2. Price

3. parking for the bike

4. ammenities IE wifi, cable tv, coffee maker.

5. Shower, since it is usually the last thing I try in the room.

I like a clean room first and formost. Though I have to admit that there have been times where I have been too tired too complain about the condition of the room because of the price of other hotels in the area.

That sounds like an excellent place for another M&G Chromo :cheesygrin:

But I think you underestimate the partying that some of this crew does.

I was not there and plead the 5th. But in NASSIR 4, there were certain individuals who were the cause of some LEO to show up. I was not there but heard the wholeeeeeee story. :shock: Shameful ppl and I would never have anything to do with that sort of crowd. :smiler: errrrrrrr maybe I would :cheesygrin:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I stay in motels a lot:

1st tier requirements:
Clean bed
clean bath
Working Air
Free Wi-fi

2nd tier requirements:
a. Parking at the door
...(I do not like rooms that open to the inside, which is becoming increasingly common.)
...(In border towns i like it if the management will allow me to park my bike where the night clerk can see it)
A TV with RCA input capacity.
...(I travel with a portable DVD player)
A reasonably clean pool
Free breakfast
A restaurant on site or very close by

3rd tier requirements:
A 32" flat screen TV
...(You'd be surprised, a lot of places have these.)
Guest Laundry

A few thoughts:

1.) Around here it is so hot that if you haven't hunkered down in a room by 1 or 2 PM your prolly gonna have a stroke. That means A LOT of time in the room, so picking a good one is critical.

2.) Join customer loyalty plans... they really do help!

3.) Use your AARP discount. ASK FOR IT!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

The wife is with me MOST of the time. So, this would be HER list.
#1 - Newer place, or a recent re-model. (Usually Americinn or CoutryInn type of place).
#2 - In nice area of town. Low crime, etc...
#3 - Good places to eat near by.
#4 - Good reviews on trip advisor.com

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

DON'T DO THIS! ! ( This is the short version) On my way to CT from N.Carolina I saw a sign that said rooms for 39$, being somewhat fugal I puled off the road and it was a Roadway truck stop and the price was only if you carried a CDL license, which I do. You checked in at the roadway inn restaurant next door and I had a great meal then I went to the motel section. Only room available and no one there, heavy smell of disinfectant, broken drawers on chest etc. Went to bed thinking only one night and be out in morning. Was I ever wrong, gangbangers outside near my bike and then something ran across my leg. :shock: I jumped out of bed loaded my bikeand road all night to home. Lesson learned. It may be OK to be frugal but sometimes you get bit. I'll always check my room first unless i know beforehand the motel conditions.

Take care, Mike

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Michaelcycle.

I have tried a few "cheap" hotels in my younger days. Always ended up being a mistake and seldom got more then 3 hours of sleep due to the "creep factor" of the place. I would much rather tent it than stay in a flea bag.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My little step brother is so tight, you can't pull a needle out of his butt with a bulldozer. That being said, he lined up an "affordable" motel for Barb and I one time. We went in, gave the clerk our credit card, and went to the room. There were crack pipe burns all over the carpet and counter tops, I saw a roach as big as a cat run into the bathtub,and the crackheads were all converging on our moving van. Went back to the clerk, canceled our stay, and left as soon as we could. It was 40 bucks a nigtht. If you wasnt all those features you mentioned, you are gonna spend about 89 to 100 bucks a night. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yep, I've stayed in some bad cheap ones, some good cheap ones and some questionable expensive ones.

Last year first trip to SC. I stopped at a really nice Motel 6 and I think it was about $55. Took awhile to get checked in though.
First there was a guy changing rooms, seems when he went to his room there was a couple in their getting it on pretty well as he put it. LOL
Clerk said the room was not rented out and it was not a mistake and called the cops.
Next guy, his room he said had the covers all over the place on the beds, looked like someone was having a good time earlier. She checked and it showed the room had been cleaned and ready to rent that day, Hmmmm....
So then my turn, she gave me a nice discount on my room because I had to wait so long LOL
I made a few jokes about the other rooms problems, but mine was great and only ME in there all night LOL

One thing that did bother me most though, I was hungry and the Arby's in front was open when I stopped. By the time I got my room and checked it out to be sure it was empty the Arby's was closed!
Lucky I had some food with me, I did not feel like riding anymore to look for food and it was late enough already.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ya'll have some good points there.

I hope many others jump into this thread with what they want, or don't want in a hotel for a meet.

WIFI works at hotel next door, same owners, but I never tried it in the building in back I want to use. Not sure if we may be out of range?

Branson has a lot of hotels, so those wanting to stay elsewhere have many choices! Though this hotel I am thinking of is not the fanciest, it's probably the best choice price wise and location. Easy walk to many places, lots nearby for food, Drug store, shows, etc... though the main idea is meet and ride.
Though not a pretty view, it's got some privacy if I book the whole back building for just us.
We should be able to have fun and not be bothered by anyone, long as no-one does anything stupid like get rowdy or try to ride drunk, and we are not really that type of group so I don't expect anyone to do such things.

This is not going to be a fancy place, there are many hotels in the area, more costly but fancier, no privacy for our outdoor stuff though. Some may be in walking distance, some you would have to ride back and forth.

If I can get the deal going on this one, I'd need to book for certain X number rooms. Still going to work on that, but I think the magic number is going to be around 10 rooms.

During the heavy traffic times, knowing the side roads like I do makes this a fairly easy hotel to get into and out of also. It is located pretty close to an intersection where "most the time" we can get on/off the strip fast and easy.

Branson has maps every where free with the side routes marked.

If you have the money to spend, Branson can be a great place to visit. I been to almost all the shows years ago. FREE is a perk of having a publication in print LOL

There are some good riding roads around the area. I'm not the best judge of roads myself. I traveled some so much in a cage I'm bored with them, and I am not that good on twisties on bike still.

I think the only food we need is Breakfast, down the road aways is the best all you can eat Breakfast for $6 I ever found anywhere! Drinks extra. Though a discount for groups of 20 or more, drinks and tips included $8 each.
For those that eat light in morning they probably have a menu, but I never looked at one LOL

If we did a meet where I want, then food at night will be cooked there, but lots of great places for those that want to go eat out elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Last time I stayed in Branson I stayed at a placed called "Bransons Best". It was a good little place for $45 a night, and that was the week of the 4th of July. Had a very good extended breakfast of waffles, biscuit and gravy, etc. Also had cobbler and ice cream free each evening. Nice outdoor pool.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Motel? Motel? Cheap? Cheap?

Nossir, not for me...... any motel is bad enough (who knows who's been in those beds, and what they've been doing in them), but cheap ones are worse! At least when camping, you know what's been done, and what hasn't, in your nice, washable sleeping bag! And Branson has a good KOA, been there....

We've done our share of cheapies, some so bad you felt like scraping your skin off in the morning. But we try and stay away from them if at all possible; this is how a motorcyclist is supposed to travel....

Motorcycles and camping...like bread and butter!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Motel? Motel? Cheap? Cheap?

Nossir, not for me...... any motel is bad enough (who knows who's been in those beds, and what they've been doing in them), but cheap ones are worse!
Ahhhh... but CJ... some of us have health issues that absolutely preclude camping "in the raw" like you and Red do... I absolutely MUST have electricity...

This is a life necessity for me, not a convenience. I have done the whole "camping in the RV park routine" and if you are going to do that, a little research and time on line will yield all sorts of nice out-of-the-way places for less than you might think.

I have done the math. Considering the cost of the trailer. The hitch... the wiring harness. Buying the equipment, The tent, the bags, the stove... a way to carry the fuel. All the other goodies you'll use. The loss in gas mileage on the bike.... the time lost in the breakdown and set up of the whole affair. Constantly worrying about the cooler... does it have enough ice. Is the food staying cold enough. Can I eat this? trips through foreign grocery stores in far-away cities. The campground fees (which in many places aren't cheap!) It just doesn't seem to add up for me. Give me the Days Inn in Sweetwater, Tennessee. $39 a night... a queen bed... a clean bath... a nice TV... free wireless... a Mickey Dee's next door... a fuel stop/convenience store across the street and Deal Gap within an easy ride the next morning.

I will say this:

1.) If I have ANY doubts, I like to see the rooms BEFORE I pay. If they won't show me a room, I move on.

2.) Before you unload your gear... check the beds. Pull the sheets back and lift the mattress... take in a flashlight... get in there close and look. Check the seams and behind the headboard. Bedbugs are an indiscriminate pest. They can exist in even the swankiest hotels.... it doesn't matter... 165 dollars a night or 39 dollars a night.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

I just plan on $90 a night. If its cheaper, then good for me.

·
Premium Member
62,948 Posts
imported post

Covered parking is always a nice touch

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i camp but im not a super camper after a long day rather than spend 45 minutes setting up the tent and getting the air mattress aired up and then another 20 or 30 minutes on a fire and wood and all that

i'd rather scratch unmentionable places in a bed with my feet up watchin alittle tv lol i know i know tmi tmi but now that i said it arent ya glad i did?

anyway camping is fine but most campsites ive seen are 15 to 25 per night

a cheap-o hotel room is about 50per night if your lucky money well spent in my eyes and i'll put that in a budget for a big trip

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ok now im not even making it paycheck to pay check .Would love to be able to afford to do this . If i could i would want a nice bed and a good shower or bath a good tele and free wyfi and a nice part of town and a few good places to eat out at . And with the wife on oxygen would need a room not to far from the car as there's no way she would ride with me . I know this all sounds negative but this is how it is . Id love to camp out like CJ but that's out the window i wouldn't want some where that has you worried all the time about your bike and if there's any bugs or thugs

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Aw shucks, guys....camping is half the fun! And we find plenty of places to camp under $25...if you're sixty two and over, you can buy a Lifetime Senior Pass that gets you forest service campgrounds at 1/2 price, sometime only $10.

And there ain't too many hotels or motels that give you a view from your dining table like the one below....nossir......

I'm only worried that our Aspen Sentry camping trailer will take some of the fun out of it....but if it does, I'll sell the thing and keep on like we're doing.....

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

And look how dumb and happy I look in this one! Why, if you were in a dingy ol' motel, how would you know it's even raining?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.