Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can anyone tell me what GL stands for? by the way I adj the valves on my 82 Interstate used the old gaskets no leaks. thanks for the heads up.:)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

Go Long

·
Premium Member
61,401 Posts
imported post

Genuine Luxury

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

As A Registered Honda Factory Technician, Goldwing rider and now owner of my own service center I can tell you with no uncertainty that GL stands for "Great Leap". This question was asked to a service session facilitator and answered. Several reasons for this......shaft drive, water cooled, boxer engine, remote fuel tank, the list goes on. In 1975 it was so far ahead of its time that no-one could touch it and still cant. Honda has had the lock on touring models since the beginning.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Keep in mind that GL is not just a Goldwing notation. The Valkeryie also is a GL model. Which makes me lean towards the GL being an engine designation as they have the same style of engine.
I like JW's response though I wonder - as a Japanese company would GL actually stand for anything that translates into English properly?

My understanding is there isn't any official given reason for why GL was chosen.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Since the Valkyrie uses the basic GL1500 engine, that would be why it starts with GL. Honda has used many English words for their products since this is the market that Mr. Honda knew he must conquer. The first Honda was know as the "Dream".

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Good point JW and welcome to the forum,

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

In 1974, a team of Honda Engineers designed and built the first Honda Goldwing that was previewed at the Cologne show as a 1975 entry to the motorcycle world. Patrons of the show were amazed and began questioning one of the engineers as to what the motorcycle was named to which he replied, "GOAL LING"
And the rest is history.
No thanks is necessary.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

sharkboy wrote:
In 1974, a team of Honda Engineers designed and built the first Honda Goldwing that was previewed at the Cologne show as a 1975 entry to the motorcycle world. Patrons of the show were amazed and began questioning one of the engineers as to what the motorcycle was named to which he replied, "GOAL LING"
And the rest is history.
No thanks is necessary.
Yeah.....I heard the same too. :claps::bow:

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Thinking of how far some of us ride perhaps GL is for "getting lost " :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

tybme wrote:
Keep in mind that GL is not just a Goldwing notation. The Valkeryie also is a GL model. Which makes me lean towards the GL being an engine designation as they have the same style of engine.
I like JW's response though I wonder - as a Japanese company would GL actually stand for anything that translates into English properly?

My understanding is there isn't any official given reason for why GL was chosen.
That is correct. Remember also the GL500, GL650 (old Silverwing).

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

These are 'great' replies, but has anyone emailed Honda and asked the question?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Its Japanese for Gold Ling! Just kidding......................;)

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Well it doesn't make me a bit of difference what it stands for, all I know is this, these two 1100's I have will be my last motorcycles, and why ride any thing but the very best on the market....I will probly never own any newer Gold Wing, but If I were to even consider another bike it would be a 1500 Gold Wing....I just like the looks better that the 1800?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.