Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So after a bit of searching for my next bike I find myself looking at Gold Wings a lot. I have never ridden one so all I have is what I've read. Here is the problem with any bike I look at. I am 5'5" with a 29" inseam. Can a late nineties GW accommodate a short rider without too much fuss, or should I be looking at the latest generation only? Money of course is the factor between the two gens.
The type of riding I'll be doing will consist of daily commutes (27 miles each way) and spring/summer trips of unknown miles. My main objective is comfort and maybe that's because I've been on a Bandit 1200s for a year.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Too bad your so far away. You could pop by and sling a leg over a 1200, and a 1500.

I'm 6'-2", so I never noticed which had the lowest saddle height. Try to find the specs online - or maybe look up members by state, and see if a 'Winger is close by.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Whichever you choose - there's nothin' like 'em. :)

[they never made a bad one]

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

if you could swing it i would go for the 1800. i believe they are the lowest ones built and the funnest ones. jmo

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Mainly just want to say welcome to the forum. Have owned my 86 1200 since new. Im 6'1" but have shorter legs 31" inseam.But as #1 said, any Wing is rock solid and you will fall in love with.If i had the jingle i'd go for a 1500.

Jim

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

You can get shorter progressive shocks anda shorter tire, shave the seat. There have been women your size riding the 1500. I have a 31" inseam and flat foot w stock seat, shock length& tires. You could do it.

Rudy is running a car tire on the back, getting him another 5/8" closer to the ground. He is verticlly challanged as he says, don't know his size.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I also have a 29" inseam. I run an 89 GL1500 and it was one foot flat and one on the toes until I went to a car tire on the rear. Now I can flat foot both sides, just right.

The 1800 is good for shorter riders unless they are short on cash too.

1500 is the best for me.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

Graphics courtesy of Dylan Saunders (wingnut junior)[/align]

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

i got a 82 aspencade and i have a 29 inch inseam and im flat footed havnt road to much since i just got it but so far no compaints all praise

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

Am old geezer w/27" inseam. LOVE my '95SE better than ALL the other 12 bikes I have owned! And, am 5' 6", so am close.
My two cents. TTFN....papasmurf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

A GRAY Goldwing is the best in any year :clapper:

GRAY is the faster color toooo :cheesygrin:

:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

5'5" will be a stretch on any wing, I think the lowest seat height on any of them is 29". You can shave 2" off the seat foam with no noticable loss of comfort, plenty of owners have done this.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this forum.

:ssshh:

Don't sweet it, we have all dropped our wings. Even ALL thebigs guys. This is just an initiation too welcome you to the club. :shock:

I would suggest you do get a bike with reverse. The Interstatedid not have all the goodies.

I believe 95 had a lower profile seat and custom seats can be made lower. Keep the air pressure low on the rear shocks. And, maybe some custom work can be done to shorten the shocks.

Actually, you should be fine with a stock wing. Takes a little getting use to. Don't look down and be very careful with passengers.Hopefully your "initiation" into the club is not a public embarrassment. :readit:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.