Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have removed and polished the wheels on my 1985 Goldwing.I need to repaint the black on the wheels. What gloss level black is near to original? I used gloss on the front wheel but it seems to shiny. I have another day before I get to painting the rear wheel would apprieciate suggestions. I can repaint the front as needed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

You don't want gloss, too shiny. Buy some satin finish as it looks like OEM. You can get it in aerosol tins or if you have access to spraying equipment you can buy gloss 2k car paint and ask the paint mixer guy to give you some Matte Base gloss inhibitor as well. You mix this with the gloss paint and it kills some of the shine so you end up with the satin finish that you think looks right.
When masking up the wheels, buy a roll of fineline tape. This gives a very nice sharp join line at the edges. Masking tape tends to soak some paint at the edges so you end up with a slightly ragged edge when you look close. Fineline tape is used for this purpose by wheel painters, pinstripe artists etc. Well worth the extra few dollars.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks I will look into that satin black as I have no spray paint equipment.

As for the overspray around masking tape - I found that 000 steel wool takes care of it easily and leavesyou with a sharp edge if you are careful.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Would powder coating be an option? I'm curious as I've not seen it done, just read a bit about it.

:11red:

Hobie

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Powder coating would be fine and harder wearing against stone chips than auto paint. Much more expensive too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.