Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some of the pins that hold the emblems on my newly painted side covers are broken off so I will have to glue them on. Since I am dangerous around anything sticky and do not want to mess up Woodbutchers excellent paint job I though I should ask first.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Dave, I used the automotive double back molding tape to put the emblems on my side covers when I had to change them out. And have used them on my 1500 after moving some stuff around. So far it is holding great. Took a pair of scissors and trimmed the excess tape from around the letters before I pulled the red plastic off the back sticky. Just another option besides glue.:?

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I thought about that but the emblems fit close against the cover and the double back tape would space them out from the cover.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

The 3M stuff is pretty thin. Its not like the white foam type double back. The tape itself is a grey color and plyable. It puts the emblems pretty dang close. I bought what I use at Advanced Auto.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

+1 one the thin gray two sided automotive tape. Trim it back a little further than the emblem so when you push it on the tape doesn't show. Used it on my 1500 to replace missing emblems works great. After three years never had any emblems fall off. If you don't like the results the emblems (with a little patience) will come off without damaging the paint.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

David. 3M makes a clear emblem adhesive, try putting a dab where the pins broke off, there should still be enough pin left to guide it into place. That way you won't have too much trouble getting it where you don't want it. Any problems, let me know.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

woodbutcher wrote:
David. 3M makes a clear emblem adhesive, try putting a dab where the pins broke off, there should still be enough pin left to guide it into place. That way you won't have too much trouble getting it where you don't want it. Any problems, let me know.
This would be my choice .

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Thats the stuff. I just took off my old floor board rubbers and i cut new ones. I took a Soldering brush and put the glue on with it and put the rubbers on and they look great. That glue is Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i have used the 3M double backed adhesive black tape stuff it works great has held things together for years

or if you want they have "gorilla glue" now that suff aint commin off

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
The 3M stuff is pretty thin. Its not like the white foam type double back. The tape itself is a grey color and plyable. It puts the emblems pretty dang close. I bought what I use at Advanced Auto.
I got the same stuff here in Canada at Lordco, and works great no problems with the thickness of the tape as it is pretty thin.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Permatex "clear" Silicone Adhesive was my choice. turned out to be a good one too. Plus it would be easy to remove if need be. Dont think it could damage any of the finish underneath. Used it on a few trim peices where the foam adhesive had given up. 2 years now and everthing is still stuck where it should be. weather has no effect on silicone..... TIP: If parts want to slide. Or wont stay in place. After applying the silicone adhesive.. just hold it in place with some "Blue Painters Tape" until silicone sets up.....nice an flush with the surface. no gaps.

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well I gave in and used the 3M tape because we have it at work. It will be OK but it does make a gap between the emblem and the surface. Maybe no one will notice as I ride by.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

cagers dont see anything... let alone emblems.... if anything comes loose again? go to china-mart and buy the silicone adhesive. that will pretty much be a fix for good!:byebye:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I use silicone. If you ever remove the emblems, you can rub the stuff right off. It will not let go of your emblems for anything.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I use silicone. If you ever remove the emblems, you can rub the stuff right off. It will not let go of your emblems for anything.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

It's (silicone) just like Sunnbobb says! Best stuff you could use.... Speed nuts are a thing of the past !

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
i used the same stuff when i repainted my 1100 and it held great and the emblems fit pretty close.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.