Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking at buying a GPS unit. Since the one intended for cycle use are stupidly priced, I will be looking at the automotive market. It will be doing double duty, mapping trails offroad and importing into my computer for printouts, and the occasional road trip. Also, looking for one with an integral FM transmitter so voice commands are played through the stereo.

So, what are you folks using?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Garmin 2610. Bought it refurb'd over a year ago, works nifty, waterproof, no hard drive like some of the newer 2xxx series, touch screen, although I hear Garmin is on their last set of maps for this one. I like it though...

Bill

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Magellan Roadmate 2200T, waterproof unit with touch screen, light weight, has built in MP3 player, POI (points of interest) loadable software, comes pre programmed for US, Canada & PR You can find these usually remanned on ebay for around $100.00 I ordered the Kennedy single set and have it wired into the intercom of my 1500. Usually get about 8 hours on a charge and comes with wall and car charger.

TN

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Rand McNally. They are pretty cheap and you can pick them up at Wally World. The great thing about them is that they include all the Wally Worlds in the U.S.! It seems more people get lost using a GPS than a map. Of course I traveled the U.S. for over 20 years before the GPS came out, so I am way too proud to own one! LOL One of these day perhaps...when I start forgetting where I am going, but by then it will be too late.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Garmin Quest, best Motorcycle GPS ever made. Forget them touch screens like the Zumo. You can see a Quest screen in any sunlight with or without sunglasses on, waterproof. Unlimited waypoint settings. I use a Nuvi200W also for the speedometer and distance data. When the sun is shining its like a digital camera, you can't see the screen, also that one's not waterproof. I'm not sure if they make the Quest anymore but if they don't they need to come out with a new one that has that type of screen. The Quest has a great bracket that is wired right into the bike so you don't have to plug it in and out.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
Garmin 2610. Bought it refurb'd over a year ago, works nifty, waterproof, no hard drive like some of the newer 2xxx series, touch screen, although I hear Garmin is on their last set of maps for this one. I like it though...

Bill
This is what I use also, an ST rider showed it to me and I liked it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
imported post

I've got a Garmin 2730 I bought off the net as discontinued. Great touch screen, moderately water resistant. Bright sun makes it hard to see, I use a sunshade made of card board.

Also have a Garmin Nuvi 350, not quite as easy to use as the 2730, but gets you there.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

tdbieber wrote:
Rand McNally. They are pretty cheap and you can pick them up at Wally World. The great thing about them is that they include all the Wally Worlds in the U.S.! It seems more people get lost using a GPS than a map. Of course I traveled the U.S. for over 20 years before the GPS came out, so I am way too proud to own one! LOL One of these day perhaps...when I start forgetting where I am going, but by then it will be too late.
That's what I use on a trip!
I do own a small Garmin Etrex that I use on my Honda Rancher from time to time. I got one mostly for the novelty of it!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Garmin i5 and a Magellan 2500T Crossover.Would trade them both for a Garmin Quest 2.

Well...not really(the 2500T is brand new),but I am looking for a Quest 2.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Garmin 2720 with a motorcycle kit. I plan out the entire trip on the computer and then upload it to the Garmin. Its waterproof and fairly easy to use even with gloves on. Some of the newer Garmins look even easier to use and I like the fact they have built in batteries so you can take them off the bike and review/plan your next days trip.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I've got 6 Garmin's, all different, actually - 1 is in the Uk right now, If you can grab that Quest 2 - grab it, it is one of the one's I have & going for double that on ebay.:waving::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The things I looked for when buying my GPS almost two years ago was water resistant, touch screen, long battery life with a 12V input for bike operation, built in maps covering the US and Canada, text to speech so it would announce up coming turns by street name and a low price. Also I wanted one that didn't have a hard drive so it would last longer with vibration and an occasional drop, and a SD card slot so I could add any POIs that I wanted.

In the end I chose a Magellan Roadmate 2200T and have been satisfied with ti both in my truck and on my bike. Used it all the way across the country to NASSIR1 in Georgia last fall too. Works as I'd hoped, I haven't had any trouble seeing the screen on bright days and the touch screen makes entries possible even with a glove on. I paid a bit over $200 but you can find them refurbished now for under $100.

I use a cassette adapter to feed the audio from my 2200T into the bike's audio sytem. The 2200T also has a built in MP3 player so you can store a lot of music on the SD card besides POI's.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
Garmin Quest, best Motorcycle GPS ever made. Forget them touch screens like the Zumo. You can see a Quest screen in any sunlight with or without sunglasses on, waterproof. Unlimited waypoint settings. I use a Nuvi200W also for the speedometer and distance data. When the sun is shining its like a digital camera, you can't see the screen, also that one's not waterproof. I'm not sure if they make the Quest anymore but if they don't they need to come out with a new one that has that type of screen. The Quest has a great bracket that is wired right into the bike so you don't have to plug it in and out.
I agree about the Garmin Quest. I love mine. I've been using it for 3 years in my truck and also on my bike. It just went out on me and I'm ordering a refurbished one for way around $79.00.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
imported post

I have a comment on the Garmin Nuvi series.

the menu system sucks! The only way to get back to find something else if a route you want is wrong, is to go back, back, back, back, back, until you read the beginning. I hate the darn thing. I'm talking about the Nuvi 350w here.

On my Garmin 2730, it has push button on the front panel. Find, Map, Menu.

I strongly recommend that whatever you choose, make darn sure that those three buttons are available so that you can make a different search for anything with only a couple of steps.

Traveled to the west coast just this past weekend, the Nuvi 350 is in the wife's car. My 2730 stays in my work car or big truck.

That 350W frustrated me no end, over and over on that trip. It kept making stupid routing decisions and I wanted to try a different search to see if I could force it to the route I intended to take. took me about 50 miles and endless retries to get the route I wanted.

Why? it won't search for just the city easily. Wants a street address first and then the city. that is dumb IMO.

The 2730 will ask for the city first and if you hit done there, it routes to the center of that city. For most every trip I have taken, that is all I want. just the main roads to get me in the general direction of where I want to be.

The reason for that is I then put in a search for "Near" + "Current Route" + fuel.

That brings up a neat little list that pulls up all of the cheapest gas stops that I have already preprogrammed into it for the trip and it shows you how far to each of them.

A glance at the trip meter to see how many miles this tank of fuel has left, look at the gps and make a decision. which one? Pick that one, and off I go, into the wild blue yonder Riding in the Wind knowing that I won't over run that fuel stop. :)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I use the 2610 and really like it. Just sorry that Garmin has stopped updating the maps for it.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I use a Garmin Nuvi and find it works just fine. I have an older Nuvi 350 with a line out jack so you could transmit over your speakers if you wish. Same deal, I put a sandwich bag over it if it is sprinkling. The price is right on the Nuvis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.