Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey everyone as I posted in the new member introduction section I got my first Goldwing a few weeks ago and immediately joined this awesome forum.

I've now had my Wing for a few weeks now and have already added somethings to it. I thought it might be fun to have people post what kinds of modifications / tweaks / additions they have made to their Wings. At the same time I think this would also be very informative for us newbies that are looking for suggestions as to what to get for their new rides.

I recently read an article that stated that the Average Goldwing owner spends $2000 within the first year of ownership accessorizing and an additional $1000 within 3 years of ownership. If I would have read that before getting mine I would think that was insane but now I think that sounds about right :)

So far my accessories are minimal but are:
Liner Luggage Bags
Baker Hand Wings
Grip Puppies
Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Plus EZ Zip Motorcycle Cover
Muth Signal Mirrors (getting soon as a B-Day present)

Other items bought because I got my Wing but not specifically for it:
Arai Profile Helmet
Frogg Togg Rain Gear

I'd love to hear from others that have suggestions on some "Must Have" items.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Hello Funhouse69. Anyone that has a bike has spent money to get it to there own special bike. I've been spending mine on setting the bike up to my comfort leval. Aqua-Aire cushion and the Walmart cushion keeps my butt happy. 550 Zumo GPS gets me home when I get lost. Wash & Wax soap and chamies. New Stones for the better ride and safe securiety. When all that is done you have to look in mirror and decied what clothes/ leathers you require. Gloves, helmet etc etc. It will never stop till you see onother newer bike and the process starts all over. My wife Donna ( Trouble ) has a new bike and the process is starting there to. At least I know now what to get her for X-mass. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I put chrome wheels on. They are easier to wipe off and keep shiny clean. I don't usually go for a lot of chrome, but I do like chrome wheels. I'm going to put some trunk and saddlebag moulding lights on and some running lights up front, but nothing else. From there, I'll just maintain it. I'm not going to do any mods as far as the front end or anthing like that. If what is stock doesn't work for me I'll be trading her in.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

funhouse69 wrote:
I recently read an article that stated that the Average Goldwing owner spends $2000 within the first year of ownership accessorizing...

Themselves or the Bike? ... .. .

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
funhouse69 wrote:
I recently read an article that stated that the Average Goldwing owner spends $2000 within the first year of ownership accessorizing...

Themselves or the Bike? ... .. .
Good point. :action:

Let's see: Rain gear, riding jacket, riding boots, riding pants, riding underwear (kidding), helmet, ear plugs, special socks (kidding again), gloves, what did I forget?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
imported post

Hi Funhouse69,

I am pretty sure that you will succome to temptation, especially when you meet with other Wing owners. You will check out their bikes...and go...gee, I would like one of those...and those...and a bit of that too...the list will stretch ever longer.

Over the past five years of 1800 ownership, my initial intentions, (aided by a lack of funds...) that less = more, if you get my drift, soon morphed into an irrepressible desire to go for the latest shiny bits or add-ons.

At the weekly meet-ups, I would see the newest lights, had to get them....the latest paint jobs, had to get that too (thankfully, I didn't fall for that due to lack of funds)...or the latest satnav...mine, a 2610 soon looked outdated, even though it still works fine.

So, lesson No1, don't let the evil greedy grinch take over...it could cost you...$$$, lots of them:waving:

Enjoy

Steve

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

How about some shiney light bars....:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

How they look at night...:action:

Attachments

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Oh boy, here we go...:rollingeyes::rollingeyes::rollingeyes:

My best advice, after the Hand Wings, is to ride it, and see what problem areas develop that you'd like to fix.. That being said,.....

Fall is pretty much here, and winter's about to be upon us like a fox upon a chicken...

Gerbing jacket liners would be one of the first things I'd look at. The Gerbing stuff extends your riding season, and make you and your co-rider much more comfortable. (Is there a Mrs Funhouse? iIf there is, you want to make sure Momma's happy) I have the Jacket Liner and the gloves, my wife has those plus the full pants. She stays prety warm, even if it's in the 30's. I'll ride as long as there is no accumulating snow, temperature isn't an issue. I also have a FIrst Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants, which are key in cold / lousy weather. It isn't fun if you're freezing cold and wet.

Also, the Baker Air Wings for the 1800 are an excellent investment in comfort. While the Hand Wings are a must have, the Air Wings are pretty up there too, especially for cold weather / crappy weather / rainy weather riding.

The next thing I might look at is the Windshield. I use a WindBender. It's a look-over shield, quieter than stock, gives better protection and less buffeting. http://www.firecreekacc.com

How's the seat? We eventually replaced ours.

Do you want to travel a lot? More storeage might be in order. I have a luggage rack, and a rack bag for it. I keep light stuff like raingear & jacket liners there when we travel. A Pak-It Rak http://www.dixonymachine.com gives you a couple more cubic feet, and about 20 - 25 lbs extra. We keep our hotel stuff in it, and just carry it into the hotel at night.

At some point you'll find that perhaps the suspension isn't up to your needs, and a RaceTech or Traxxion upgrade might be in order. http://www.traxxion.com http://www.racetech.com

I'd go comfort first, utlity second, safety (read chrome & lights) third.

Here's my list.. ( Ididn't put the prices in, but if you're curious, it adds up to $20,299.05, and I stopped counting a couple of grand ago...:blushing::blushing:

Foglights

Headsets

Helmets
Rita

Helmet
DBC

Trunk Rack

Scuff Covers

Fairing intake vent

Kuryakyin Trunk inserts

Kuryakyin Bag inserts

Air Wings w/ Lowers
Baker Built

Seat back
Kuryakyn

highway pegs Ergo Dually II
Kuryakyn

Grips
Kuryakyn

XM Radio

Hand Wings
Baker Built

Leg Wings
Baker Built

Rack Bag
Kuryakyn

Cover

CB Radio
Honda

Antenna
Sierra

Chrome Radiator Grille
Big Bike

Opera Lights
Show Chrome

LED Front Fender Accent
Kuryakyn

Rear Fender Trim
Kuryakyn

Lighted Mirror Vizor
Show Chrome

Baby bumpers
Dixon Y Machine

Pak-It rack
Dixon Y Machine

Voltmeter
Chromeworld

Pivot Cover
Kuryakyn

LED Front Reflector conversion
Kuryakyn

Fish Kickstand
Kuryakyn

Exhaust Turndowns
Kuryakyn

Bag Liners

GPS
Iway 500/600

Chrome Lower Cowl
Big Bike

FFE
Kuryakyn

Fairing Accent
Big Bike

Chrome Timing Chain Cover
Kuryakyn

Saddlebag Organizers
Chaco

Clear Turn Signal lenses
Show Chrome

Trunk Divider

Trunk Pouch
Hopnel

Spoiler

Cargo Net
Hopnel

Chrome Pass Floorboard covers

Com4 Headset x 2
Air Rider

Spoiler Light run/brake
Kissan

Turnsignal conversion
EC

Muth Mirrors

Trunk Light Grilles

Saddlebag Light Grilles

Kury Mudflap & mount Kit

Tapered seat bolts

Kury Footpegs

Progressive Fork Springs

Trunk power plug

Key Accent

Fender filler

PIAA Lights

Progressive Shock & spring

Install

Grounding Block

GLI

Power board

Trunk Light Kit
EC

Noise filter

Carpet set

Lic Plate Holder

Piaa turn signal lights

Kury Reflector conversion

Lic Plate Harness

Hazzard reconfig harness

PIAA foglight bulbs

EC Foglight Guards

Tulsa Belly Pan

Chrome Rims

Windbender Electric

Kury grips again

Passenger Volume control

Cover

Drink Holder

Travelcade Seat

Floorboard Risers

Exigent Seat cover

Windbender
Firecreek

Bigger Shield

Kermit Chairs

Ram mounts

Kennedy Cell Set
Kennedy

Aux Switch Set
Kenndey

Dash Duster thingie

Blue tooth & modify cellset

Coax splitter & Acc kit

Leather Jacket
Haywards

Gerbing Heated Jacket

Heat controller

Coax Connector

Rainsuits
Frogg Toggs

Leather Jacket
Haywards

Leather Pants
Wilsons

Helmet Nolan N102

Gerbing heated liner

Gerbing heated gloves

Heat controller

Jacket, Rita

Rev'it Angel Jacket

Ski Pants

Helmet dresses

Special Sox

T Shirts

Mesh Jacket, Rita

Gerbing pants

Hemet, DBC
Nolan

Mesh Jacket, DBC
Tourmaster

Joe Rocket GW gloves

Kilamajaro Jacket, DBC
First Gear

DBC Gerbing Liner

DBC Gerbing Gloves

DBC Gloves

First Gear HT Overpants

Sidi Boots

Cool Vests & shirts
Silver Eagle

Extended Warranty

Front Tire, mounted
13K miles

Rear Tire, mounted
13K Miles

Front Tire, mounted
29.5k miles

Rear Tire, mounted
29.5k miles

Tires
46935 miles

Brakes & Aircleaner

Headlight bulbs
Lows

Highs

Lows

Lows

Plexus

BOMs Away Polish

Fork seals, clutch &

Brake flush, torque steering head bearing

Anti-freeze

Valve Adjustment

Air Filter

Brakes (LF)

Labor & valve check

Zaino waxes

Battery cable cover

303 Protectant

210 scratch remover

Battery

Billet Juice

Pitbull lift used
Adam

Air pump, patch stuff

Brakes (Traxxion Vesra)

RaceTech Gold valve

Labor for tires & rims

Plexus

Bike cover

Gloves

Polish

Shirts

Honda Polish

Hope this doesn't give you TOOOO many ideas..

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Custom paint and trailer hitch. Done!

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Well...lets see...
  • Taller window - Stock one is too short.
  • Back rest (Utopia) - My back would last 50 miles without it.
  • Handle bar risers - Shoulder and wrist pain.
  • Vented belly pan.
  • Luggage inserts.
  • Wrapped the grips with that stuff used on tennis racket handles - grips are too small, it was like holding a pencil.
Maybe down the road a new seat. Only problem with this, is I like to 'try things on' first. I learned a long time ago.....never let a 5'8", 180 lb man tell you the scaffolding is stable enough to walk on. The kind of money people want for this stuff, it had better fit right, the first time.

So, new seat and suspension are something I'll be researching the hell out of. I will, however, be going with All Balls, when it comes time to change out the neck bearings.

Basic riding gear is a must and helmets are the law (here). I don't see these as 'accessorizing'. Actually, I don't see any, of the above, as 'accessorizing'. Off the show room floor, the 1800 only fits a narrow range of humans.

So.......for some, there are 'things' that have to be done to get these things rideable. Like Mick-O-Pegs. I'll be getting a set of those soon. The stock sitting position, for me, is like sitting on a small toilet with no leg room at all. If I want (or need) to stretch my legs, I have to pull over and stand up.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of 'accessories' available for the GW. Those things just aren't important, to me.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

HI I PURCHASED THIS BIKE WITH 7 K OF EXTRAS ON IT, ADDED ABOUT 1 K RECENTLY VERY HAPPY, PICTURE SPEAKS FOE ITSELF IN THE FASTEST COLOUR, CANT KEEP THE KIDS OF IT.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Added miles ... 123,456 2 years ago...

Sold this one with 149,000 miles in June of this year!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Slaphead Scouser wrote:
The best advise I can give is for you to sell the 1800 and replace it with a 1500.:D
:cheeky1::cheeky1: Nice.

You don't have to have an 1800 to spend money on your bike. I have about $10k in additions and mods on my 1500.

And it's getting to where I have to invent things to add any more to it. Guess the dual GPS units and the video monitor was a bit over the top. :baffled: :cooldevil:

The title made me think.. "What have you done to your GL1800 ".
Answer: "Nothing! It looked that way when I bought it!"
:dude:

All in good fun lads, all in good fun.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
Custom paint and trailer hitch. Done!

My that is a beautiful paint job.

I should have an 1800 soon and am making a list of things to buy. I was thinking of chrome wheels but the cowpats on the roads here will ruin them in short order, cow dung makes good chrome stripper.
Utopia backrest will be first addition and maybe some of those LED trunk and saddlebag lights .

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

SETHAN 12

Your 1800 needs nothing else. That paint job gives it all it needs. Beautiful

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.