Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got this really nice Olympus 5 megapixtal digital camera and the only thing I know about it is taking pictures and up loading to the computer.

What I have been trying to figure out is, how to reduce the size of a picture such as the one I took of my '94 1500 SE. I was wanting to reduce the picture small enough to use as my Avatar but when I make it that small the picture gets all distorted and fuzzy.

After about 800 x 599 the picture quality goes south, so to speak.

Are there any camera experts out there?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I use a program called Polyview to manipulate my photos, there are many others out there. Use a search engine such as

http://www.tucows.com/

or something similiar and find a freeware or a free trial to see how it works.

You'll need a bright picture to see at the smaller size.

I first crop, then resize and convert to .jpeg format.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

You can also use programs like Paintshop pro to crop and resize images with out to much loss or distortion....:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sixt5 wrote:
I've got this really nice Olympus 5 megapixtal digital camera and the only thing I know about it is taking pictures and up loading to the computer.

What I have been trying to figure out is, how to reduce the size of a picture such as the one I took of my '94 1500 SE. I was wanting to reduce the picture small enough to use as my Avatar but when I make it that small the picture gets all distorted and fuzzy.

After about 800 x 599 the picture quality goes south, so to speak.

Are there any camera experts out there?
Try http://www.irfanview.com

Rudy from Atlanta recommended it on this forum awhile back. It's a free program and works well. I found it reduced a photo to avatar size better than the commercial graphics programs I have. It might help to shoot the picture in lower resolution to start with so you won't have to reduce the file as much.Your camera should be able to shoot in several different resolutions. I have an Olympus 3030 and it will shootabout fourorfive different resolutions.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Or if you are really in trouble with this you can send you picture to the forum Admin and he will size it dow n for you. :waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
sixt5 wrote:
Try http://www.irfanview.com

Rudy from Atlanta recommended it on this forum awhile back. It's a free program and works well. I found it reduced a photo to avatar size better than the commercial graphics programs I have. It might help to shoot the picture in lower resolution to start with so you won't have to reduce the file as much.Your camera should be able to shoot in several different resolutions. I have an Olympus 3030 and it will shootabout fourorfive different resolutions.

I've been using Irfanview since 2003 and it will work very well for your needs. :applause:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
My garsh Dusty, how did you pull up a 7 year old thread?

But, while it is here, I am also an Irfanview fanatic. Great utility.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Get GIMP (Graphics Image Manipulation Package)

It is free GNU, been around on UNIX/LINUX for years, and more recently ported to Windows. Extremely powerful, very similar to commercial programs like Adobe without the expense - this thing can do so much that you probably need to use it full time to understand all of it's capabilities. But doing easy things like picture resizing and watermarks is quite intuitive and straightforward. If you get stuck there is a nice set of help menus.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,787 Posts
Get GIMP (Graphics Image Manipulation Package)

It is free GNU, been around on UNIX/LINUX for years, and more recently ported to Windows. Extremely powerful, very similar to commercial programs like Adobe without the expense - this thing can do so much that you probably need to use it full time to understand all of it's capabilities. But doing easy things like picture resizing and watermarks is quite intuitive and straightforward. If you get stuck there is a nice set of help menus.
Got a link to downloading GIMP that doesn't also force you to accept Toolbar, pop-up and adware programs? Can't install without accepting them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Typically, IF you will choose CUSTOM INSTALL you can uncheck the default boxes for all of the tool bars.

Nearly everything I have seen allows you to uncheck the defaults.

I am trying this page right now:
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Interesting..... Clicked on install and poof! no options, nothing, it just ran and disappeared.

I can't even find a way to start the program. I did find the GIMP 2 auxiliary files, but the editor program seems to be separate?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,787 Posts
Well I did the install and now I have a new Homepage. :eek: Either you accept all of it or none of it. The new homepage is Search US.com. I un-installed the program and I still have it as a homepage. I wish I knew more about these stupid contraptions. I can't even figure out how to reset my old homepage. You guys be careful with this. I knew better or at least I should have. :X

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I just use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to resize for use on the web and have no issues at all with it.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Well I did the install and now I have a new Homepage. :eek: Either you accept all of it or none of it. The new homepage is Search US.com. I un-installed the program and I still have it as a homepage. I wish I knew more about these stupid contraptions. I can't even figure out how to reset my old homepage. You guys be careful with this. I knew better or at least I should have. :X
If you use internet explorer then open the Tools Menu and select "Internet Options", once that is open make sure you are on the "General Tab" and you will find the top section is all about setting your home page. If you are already on the page you want to use as your home page then just click the "Use Current" button. That will set your home page. Close the Internet Options box and you will now have a new home page.

If you use Firefox it is very similar. Navigate to the page you want as your home page. Select the Tools Menu and pull it down to "Options". Make sure you are on the General Tab and again the top section deals with setting your home page. Press the button for "Use Current Page" and this will change your home page to the current page you are on. Close out of the Options box and you will now have a new home page.

For other browsers you will need help from someone else as I just use Firefox and IE (only when needed).

Henry

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Got a link to downloading GIMP that doesn't also force you to accept Toolbar, pop-up and adware programs? Can't install without accepting them.
Yes, this one. This is gimp with no other bs added on. Directly from Gimp.org

When you get there click on the Download Gimp 2.8.2 link.

Henry

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Well I did the install and now I have a new Homepage. :eek: Either you accept all of it or none of it.
Hi Tom,

GIMP is a free program. Consequently lots of sites have it available as a download. Most of them aren't really interested in providing the program, they are more interested in all the other stuff they can install on your computer at the same time.

When downloading a program, you should always go to the original developer's site, which for the GIMP is at:

That way you don't get all the junk extras.

Martin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.