Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have rebuild my forks on several bikes but have never found a good snap ring pliers to remove the retainer snap on the inside of the forks. Either they are total junk, too short, or too thick to get in there in the first place. Does Honda have a good set and how much does it cost or what do you use?

Thanks in advance because I am pretty sure someone will let me know works well.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Try Snap-on tools they make several kinds of snap ring pliers.....I have a bunch and the nice thing about them is that most are reversible to do both internal and external snap rings....So stop by your local mechanics shop and find out when the Snap- on tool guy comes by.....Just a thought....

Claude...

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Just don't get the type with the wee, interchangeable tips that don't clamp in tight enough. They can be quite annoying.

There is a pair of those somewhere upin the woods up behind my garage, actually. Never went looking for them.

Didn't need 'em for the forks on my 12or15. They both have the wire-type rings, you can pop out with a small screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
Try Snap-on tools they make several kinds of snap ring pliers...So stop by your local mechanics shop and find out when the Snap- on tool guy comes by
Yup, and if you happen to see a Snap-on truck stopped anywhere, you can usually pull up there and they'll sell toyou right from the truck, or take your order and ship you what you want...:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

blue point makes good stuff. They are subsidiary of snap on.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

I get all of my really "good" snap ring pliers from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/

They have a wide selection of snap ring pliers that are very well built and not likely to bend or break like some of the usual stuff you get at the local hardware or auto parts store.

There's a Northern Tool about five miles from my house so I can hold and inspect stuff before I buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
imported post

Snap-On make the best snap ring pliers. I've always been a Craftsman tool guy, because they are good tools with a lifetime warranty at a good price, but there are a few tools where only the top quality will do. Snap ring pliers always tear up quickly unless you buy Snap-On. Expensive, but worth it in this case.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I bought a pair of cheap ones out of despiration and proceded to pretty much fold them in half. I took them back and they gave me my money back. I next tried a pair of Channel Lock brand and they are built well but are a little to thick and the prongs are about 1/8" too short to work easily. I got the job done with them but I want a pair that is long enough to reach and strong enough to take the force needed.
I thought I would end up with Snap-On but was trying to not mortgage my house again.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
imported post

I don't think anyone makes a really good pair. I have Snap-on, Craftsman, and several others from electronics tool kit companies in my toolbox at work. All are pretty useless. Home Depot sells a pair that are pure junk (bought in Tampa for a quick repair at a site, destroyed before getting one ring out). I have a pair of Craftsman with the swappable tips that have held up the best, but they are still a poor tool.

BTW - WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN WORKING WITH SNAP RINGS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
imported post

First off - stop thinking about snap ring pliers. Get your self a snap ring tool. It has a screwdriver type handle and an acme thred to make the jaws move in and out. The tips are interchangable and straight or angled. but the key is, once you get the pins in the holes of the snap ring, use the handle to spread or collapse the two tips (works on inside or outside rings) and it holds it that way. You don't have to sqeeze the handles while you're sliding on or off. This is one of the many great things dear old dad taught me.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Andy Cote wrote:
First off - stop thinking about snap ring pliers. Get your self a snap ring tool. It has a screwdriver type handle and an acme thred to make the jaws move in and out. The tips are interchangable and straight or angled. but the key is, once you get the pins in the holes of the snap ring, use the handle to spread or collapse the two tips (works on inside or outside rings) and it holds it that way. You don't have to sqeeze the handles while you're sliding on or off. This is one of the many great things dear old dad taught me.
Where's a good place to buy these from? :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mike Toon wrote:
I think everyone has some of these HF pliers.

They may work once or twice but for serious stuff like forks or engine work, get quality. KD Tools are a good compromise, and are affordable. http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdspec18.html
I gotta tell you that these cheapos work the best of any I've had to get the snap ring out of the u-joint on the GL1100s. I've several different sets of snap ring pliers most of which cost a few bucks but these were the only ones that fit in the joint well. BTW the larger ones will take out the snap rings okay on forks too. They may be cheap, may be Chinese but they'll do the job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.