Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I'll leave the tech side to those who are on the darkside!

It is as I understand just those who opt for car tyres on the rear of their goldies.

:action:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks...didnt know you could do that...I guess you would a longer tire life? I wish Tire co. would build a tire would just as long as an auto tire.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

FNGGW2012 wrote:
:cheesygrin:Just wondering
Dark Side: adj.~ American vernacular slang.

A colloquial term derived from the supposed Jedi culture first described in the Star Wars movie series. This term is commonly applied to the practice of mounting automobile tires on heavy cruiser or touring motorcycles. Members of this motorcycling sub-sect are often referred to as “dark-siders” and are considers a rogue element within most motorcycling circles. Popular belief among cycling mainstream culture claims dark-siding results in instantaneous “crash and burn” death scenarios. Yet strangely, no real evidence of this has ever surfaced from any substantiated source and the practice seems to be gaining in popularity.

See Also: Dark Lord, Sith, Squid(s) and “We have cookies!”.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

FNGGW2012 wrote:
Thanks...didnt know you could do that...I guess you would a longer tire life? I wish Tire co. would build a tire would just as long as an auto tire.
That is exactly what it is. Many of the 1500's have car tires on the back as do almost all trikes & rigs. It is hard to find a tire that will fit a 12 but it can be found. need old VW tires.:D:D Check out this site. http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
FNGGW2012 wrote:
:cheesygrin:Just wondering
Dark Side: adj.~ American vernacular slang.

A colloquial term derived from the supposed Jedi culture first described in the Star Wars movie series. This term is commonly applied to the practice of mounting automobile tires on heavy cruiser or touring motorcycles. Members of this motorcycling sub-sect are often referred to as “dark-siders” and are considers a rogue element within most motorcycling circles. Popular belief among cycling mainstream culture claims dark-siding results in instantaneous “crash and burn” death scenarios. Yet strangely, no real evidence of this has ever surfaced from any substantiated source and the practice seems to be gaining in popularity.

See Also: Dark Lord, Sith, Squid(s) and “We have cookies!”.
Good Cookies too! Had mine this Sept. in Wisconsin.

"Thanks...didnt know you could do that...I guess you would a longer tire life? I wish Tire co. would build a tire would just as long as an auto tire."

"I guess you would a longer tire life"- Not all CTs will give longer life than M/C tires, some better than others. I have 14,000 on one, EL400 and it's close to gone. I'll try an Austone next.

"I wish Tire co. would build a tire would just as long as an auto tire."- Don't we all!

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Here are some "technical facts" about the differences in the rims. These come from the Tire and Rim Association. The TRA are the ones who set the standard for ALL rims and tires of all manufactures and makes.

Car Rim Diam - 14.968"
Motorcycle Rim Diam - 15.08"
Difference of .112"

Bead Flange (where the bead seals against the rim)
Car Flange - 17.5mm (.689")
Motorcycle Rim - 14mm (.551")
Difference of .138"

Now to put it all together. A car tire bead must STRETCH .112" to fit a motorcycle rim along with the motorcycle bead flange being .138" smaller than a car rim.

The compound for a car tire is twice as hard as a motorcycle tire and thats why they last longer. Plus a car tire's compound is the same all the way across the entire tread. Whereas a motorcycle tire has three different compounds. Divide the tire tread into 5 segments. 1 center segment flank by two segments. then flanked by two more segments closest to the sidewall. The center compound is hard for straight riding. The next two segments are a softer compound to allow more grip when cornering. Then the last two segments (closes to the sidewall are a very soft compound for maximum grip while cornering.

Car tires are designed with a maximum of 4 degrees of camber angle (lean). Whereas a motorcycle tire is designed for 50 degrees of camber angle (lean). On car tires the wide the tread the more dependent it is on proper camber angle.

Motorcycles develop twice as much lateral force on the tread of a tire in a corner versus a car.

These are not "scare tatics" but actual fact about the differences between the two. I have done the true technical research about this. If you want some good technical information I will be happy to share with you and let you make your own decision.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

OP has a 1500 w/16", not 1200 w/15"

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

As far as lean angle i was scrapping my highway peg mounts(bottoms ground 1/2" off) on my 1500 w/CT on the Tail of the Dragon, 318 corners in 12 miles. Lots a lean and mean. Out ran the bikes that were riding the M/C tires.
And that was on a 195/60R16 RADIAL. No CRASH & BURN.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
A car tire bead must STRETCH .112" to fit a motorcycle rim along with the motorcycle bead flange being .138" smaller than a car rim.
Okay, so it has to 'stretch" 0.112 inch in a total length of 36 inches around the rim...

Big deal, it won't even be noticed.

The rest of that crap about how a car tire is designed is useless in this forum.

We aren't interested in hearing the same old song and dance.

We are interested in hearing from those who ARE using car tires, and the fact that No One has ever reported an accident as the "Car Tire" being the root cause of said accident.

I have called and asked several insurance agents about the subject, all of them said it is a tire, is it not? We don't care.

In my own Personal Case, which is documented elsewhere in this Forum "My insurance adjuster" did not even look at the tires on my '94 GL1500 to see what they were, he just commented, "they look brand new". And I said yes, 3 weeks old.

End of subject..... paid me $9,967.63 for a total loss.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Here we go again....

I have 17,000 miles on my car tire.

I realize I am risking my life, but saving $300 is totally worth it to me. I do not care that the car tire performs better. I am just one cheap son of a gun and I will compromise my life and the life of my girl friend for that savings.

I made a mistake putting the car tire on my bike, but I have to wait another 15,000 miles to take it off because I am so cheap that I can't bear changing out the tire before it is worn out.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
Here we go again....

I have 17,000 miles on my car tire.

I realize I am risking my life, but saving $300 is totally worth it to me. I do not care that the car tire performs better. I am just one cheap son of a gun and I will compromise my life and the life of my girl friend for that savings.

I made a mistake putting the car tire on my bike, but I have to wait another 15,000 miles to take it off because I am so cheap that I can't bear changing out the tire before it is worn out.

:D:D:D:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Oh boy a CT Thread Question...........These are getting as good as the type of oil questions........:action::action::action::thumbsup:

Who's got the popcorn....?????

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I take the more direct approach. I just accept that I am the very root of all evil and unrepentantly invite others to join me in purgatory.

Vader: "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father, Luke."
Luke: "He told me enough! He told me YOU killed him!"
Vader: "No! I am your father!"

[align=center]"Come with me and we'll rule the galaxy together as father and son.
It is your... destiny!"
[/align]
Come... young FNGGW2012, join me on the darkside and we'll ride together, breaking all the rules, riding to places no motorcycle tire dares to go... for a thrid the cost and double the braking power!!!!!!

Mahhh... ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaaa!

:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

It is just the best thing to happen to motorcycles since the invention of the electric starter!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
82gl1100iwingman wrote:
A car tire bead must STRETCH .112" to fit a motorcycle rim along with the motorcycle bead flange being .138" smaller than a car rim.
Okay, so it has to 'stretch" 0.112 inch in a total length of 36 inches around the rim...

Big deal, it won't even be noticed.

The rest of that crap about how a car tire is designed is useless in this forum.

We aren't interested in hearing the same old song and dance.

We are interested in hearing from those who ARE using car tires, and the fact that No One has ever reported an accident as the "Car Tire" being the root cause of said accident.

I have called and asked several insurance agents about the subject, all of them said it is a tire, is it not? We don't care.

In my own Personal Case, which is documented elsewhere in this Forum "My insurance adjuster" did not even look at the tires on my '94 GL1500 to see what they were, he just commented, "they look brand new". And I said yes, 3 weeks old.

End of subject..... paid me $9,967.63 for a total loss.
Yep, the "IN USE" facts are what count, not what's wrote on paper by people that don't even ride bikes probably.

"stretch" 0.112 inch ", whoopy do! How far must the bead stretch to just get it onto a car rim anyway?? I have seen PRO Shops and Dealers do some good stretching and fighting to get some tires mounted! Some tires just seem to fall on like they are to large, others have some fight!

Much of those other "FACTS" were also totally useless.
Not all Motorcycle tires are built the same, not all Car tires are built the same either.
Michelin, Avon, Spitfire are all bike tires, but there is a ton of difference between them!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
It is just the best thing to happen to motorcycles since the invention of the electric starter!

Dubs
I want my KICK STARTER back! :ROFL:
NO, I DON'T want the bike tires back. :X

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
...The rest of that crap about how a car tire is designed is useless in this forum....
...maybe the design info was not necessary for this "thread" (about a definition) and should have been somewhere else, but certainly okay for ths "forum" ...

It doesdemonstrate the usual passion on opinions about this subject..

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

If you use a car tire, how does that affect your ability to use Synthetic Oil vs. Dino Oil?

;)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Sounds good I will enter the dark side...So who has got some info on types of CT Ive heard run flats are a good choice?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.