Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I'm looking to upgrade to an 1800,and am wondering what is the difference in the models,I would like to get one that is fully loaded.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
2001 - 2005 GL1800 or GL1800A (ABS Brakes) No major changes during these years.
2006 Enlarged radiators and fans along with upgraded radio and speakers.
2006 - 2010
Model I - Pemium radio and comfort (seat & grip heaters)
Model II - As above plus Navigation
Model III - As above plus ABS Brakes
Model IV - As above plus Air Bag
2012 - 2013 Improved Suspension, Enlarged Saddle Bags (not by much) Improved navigation on Models II - IV. Models with options correspond to earlier models.
I probably missed something but this will give you the gist of it.

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
06-08 premium audio model does not come with heated seats and grips, 09-10 do plus tire pressure monitor system.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
FWIW Jon, the 1800's are larger, heavier, torque-er (made that up!), such that when you go back to a 1200 you feel like you can flick a 1200 around like nothing....IMHO you will also be riding one of the most refined bikes out there (never rode a 1500 though), if both were brand new i'd go with the 1800.....jmho

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Actually the 1800 is lighter than the 1500 due to its aluminum frame. Stiffer handling in the bends too. Gl1200 is around 70lbs lighter. Going back to a 1200 will feel like your afterburner went out.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Some items that I considered while shopping for mine (that I didn't see listed above):
  • Weight can be "discussed" - the 2005 lists as 792lbs in many places, the '06 Premium Audio (base model) as 822lbs (838lbs as a level III), the 2012 level III wet weight (oil & fuel ~50lbs) as 908lbs, so 859lbs dry... My '88 1500 was labeled at 793+lbs; documentation for the latter year SEs show nearly 820lbs... (feel free discuss amoungst yourselves!)
  • 2004 - Handlebar/Radio controls were illuminated & a heatshield for the rear caliper was added
  • 2005 - Frame was strengthened (putting to rest most concerns over cracking)
  • 2006 - aside from the cooling upgrades (above), changes were made to fairing to accommodate the radiator sizes, dash-vents dropped, Saddlebag lighting was changed - also more of the smaller-style environmentally sealed "Amp" electrical connectors are used to replace the older Hitachi open-style used since the beginning of the GLs
  • 2008? - I'm not certain where, but the base weight seems to have grabbed about 7-8 lbs and a bit more again in 2012
  • 2011 -- worst GL1800 avoid at your peril :cheeky1:
  • 2012 - body/suspension redesign as mentioned
"Fully Loaded" would probably be something like Airbag, ABS, XM radio, Navigation, and the heated grip/seat "Comfort" package ?? right?

Sir Steve Saunders (Wignut, night of the realm) has distilled some good thoughts right here http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1800.htm that can help to guide a few thoughts, as well as an exhaustive history here http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm to fill-in any gaps.

As for the difference in models and how loaded things get -- JackJohn (above) has that set out pretty cleanly

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Some items that I considered while shopping for mine (that I didn't see listed above):
  • 2011 -- worst GL1800 avoid at your peril :cheeky1:
To the best of my knowlege, they did not make the 2011 because of the tsunami.. They sold 2010's in 2011.

:18black:

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your input,and thank you satan for the site that wingnut put out.Looks like i'll be looking for a 2009-2013 model.

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
satan, the suspension redesign mentioned on 2012s is bunk written by some nimrod magazine writer. I just last week upgraded one to progressives front and rear, the springs we took out were just like the earlier models, owner reports a very noticeable difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.