Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased a 1500SE recently and have noticed a balance problem at low speeds. What itfeels like is a roll from side to side when I am riding at low speeds.I can't say as I notice it all the time.

This happens while coasting, braking, and while holding throttle steady. How I can bestdescribe this would beis gas in a long tank sloshing from side to side. Is this normal or is it all in my head.

Do I have a ghost on board cause Ikeeplooking back to tell the wife to set still and she is not there.

MOXIE

·
350 Posts
imported post

I purchased my 99 1500se a year ago sept and still getting used to it . at slow speed use counter leaning, keep yor knees tucked in tight and keep telling yourself you are in control not the bike.....my last bike was 300 lbs lighter so yes it takes time... check out this link ...a great coarse to look into.... ...http://www.ridelikeapro.com/about-us

And yes it does get easier????

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

You probably just need to replace the fork oil. Once the oil goes bad it reduces in volume and makes the front end sit low, and feel like a ships steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I would also put it on the center stand and jack up the bike so the front wheel is off the ground. Turn the wheel slowly while carefully looking over the tire checking for any lumps or other defects on the tire that might cause it to not roll true.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Low air pressure in your tires might also be lurking about :cool::action::action:

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
imported post

Did the previousm owner have the steering head bearings replaced or adjusted? It sounds to me like the steering head bearings are to tight. This would cause a wobble at slow speeds.

BMS

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys for some ideas to look at. This is something that I do not have to make steering adjustments for nor does it happen like one has said a bump in the front tire. I had given the thought to the Tulsa windshield at first as it is so big and may catch more air then I am use to but then I was noticing it at such low speeds with no wind to speak of that I eliminated that as the problem. One could say it woud be like the rear tire with bearing play in it that at times the wheel flips to one side then back after making weight adjustment.

I say its a ghost rider on the back.
Moxie

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Since you mentioned bearings why not put it on the center stand and try to move the rear wheel side to side. Look for any play in the wheel bearings or the swing arm. Jack the front wheel up and check for any wheel bearing play up there. Also pull up on the wheel and see if you can feel any motion in the steering head.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Do you have a car tire on the rear?

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
I purchased my 99 1500se a year ago sept and still getting used to it . at slow speed use counter leaning, keep yor knees tucked in tight and keep telling yourself you are in control not the bike.....my last bike was 300 lbs lighter so yes it takes time... check out this link ...a great coarse to look into.... ...http://www.ridelikeapro.com/about-us

And yes it does get easier????
Like DOC1500 said...
I also have a 99 1500SE...it's all riding technique. I get off of the Gold Wing and get on my VTX and it feels like I'm riding a "motor bike." I've been riding a "loaner" 97 SE for the past three summers in Cocoa Beach, which caused me to buy the one I have owned since the first of September. I've rode motorcycles all of my adult life and every time I get on my Gold Wing, it's an adventure. Stay with it, "It only gets better." Norm

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

What Norm said and be sure your body is well hydrated before rides. I find it hard to drink enough water on a daily basis but if you are properly hydrated your sense of balance is greatly improved in my opinion!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Do you know if the tires are balanced with weights or possibly Dyna Beads? Dyna Beads don't start to balance until around 15mph.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

dingdong
Very good information. I would of never thought of this. How can I tell the differance in the two. I am going to look at this problem today and am going to start at tires and work up the forks.

Moxie

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I'll suggest friction in the head.. whether it is bearings too tight, notchiness, or just a little bit of normal friction..

Usually this is so small an effect that it is not noticed, but regardless how small it is always there.. what happens is, the bike steering tends to remain in one spot (a little bit sticky) until jostled or a more significant weight shift causes it to go to a new position... I particularly can notice it when riding without hands.. the bike tends to drift in one direction until jostled to loosen the steering..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Sandiegobrass
You have explained the feel I am getting to a tee. I am going starting at the front wheel and working up to head today. I should probably start from the top down but will check the easy stuff first. Air,slop in wheel bearings,fork oil and then just what you said friction in the head.

I am new to the Goldwing so am just learning. I appreceiate all the input you guys give and when I figure these things out I will let you know how and what fixed the problems. I hope to know more about the wing so I can give back to the forum as much as all you do.

Thanks again all
Moxie

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Moxie, do check the things mentioned here but FWIW I find the 1500 to be reeeeeally unstable at low speeds. Once it gets moving a bit it's fine.I just bought this video
http://www.randakks.com/Rider Skills Development.htm
It's pretty good and teaches low speed maneuvering on a 2-wheeled armchair. I'm still having a problem with the clutch-slipping technique (the very idea of it) but it's how cops learn to ride and you should see what the people can do at 4 or 5mph.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Moxie I think the ideas to check the head bearings are probably spot on. The normal motorcycle front tire will follow a s shaped path as it is going down the road. This change in motion from side to side is very very small but if it is blocked by a tight head bearing it will amplify through the frame of the bike and you will feel it.

Terry (tlbranth) is right about slow speed maneuvering being a lot easier if you use the friction zone of the rear brake and the clutch together. My handling of tight turns on the wing has gotten a lot better since I started practicing it. I can turn around with 2 up in much tighter turns now than I ever could with just 1 up without it. And I am in much more control of the turn than ever before.

Let us know if you find the head bearings tight or if you find a notch in them!!

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Moxie, Youv'e received a lot of good ideas to help you find the problem with your bike. If there is something wrong and you go through all of those procedures you will find the problem or problems. There could be more than one.

One suggestion that hasn't been brought up is...........

Don't drive slow!

;)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Yes, I do believe we have found the problem. Or at least we have eliminated a lot of them.

Tire pressure (No)

Dyna Beads (No) Weights

Fork oil (No)

Wheel bearing (No)

brake hanging (No)

windshield (No)

Conclusion: Its not in my head but in the bikes steeringhead.

Iwill guarantee this will be the problem. Although I donot believeit is to tight infact it is lose. Today I was outrunning some errands and have always noticed a clunk sound when I would hit a man hole in the road. I alwaysblamed this noise on theshell making the noise. Today when I was running at 35 or 40 I pulled on the front brake a little till I could feel the bike slowing and then I gave her areal good grab. That was when I heard the clunk noise I have always heard and could feel a movement in the handle bars. It was very slight movement maybe I was just feeling the clunk. When I triedthis3 or 4 times in a rapped braking motion itdid it every time.

We are making alist checking ittwice and goingto dobearingreplacement next month when thesnow and Ice hits. Have a few other thingsto do this winter to the bike.For any on you with this problem Steve has acomplete teardown on thisin the Bikers Workshop.

Thank you all for the suggestions, Being new to the wing and not being around bikes for25 years sure show me how far Honda has comesince the old Honda CB models I road back then.

Moxie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.