Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I posted it yesterday in the sale section, it runs but one cylinder is pushing oil through the exhaust.

I have it on Craigslist and had one guy call and ask about it. Was asking 1,700 and figure I should take less. Had paid 3,000 for it 3 years ago.

I really would like to see someone fix her up, low mileage and not rusted.

Would like to keep the price just high enough to keep the bike strippers away.

What is it worth in parts? I see some people pay over 100 for side covers.

I posted a photo bucket link to more pictures.

My health, age and other events are making it necessary for me to clear out a lot of things.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff413/alan4dug4ydo/83%20Gold%20Wing/

Regards

Alan

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It depends on the local market, and the overall condition of the bike, especially the frame and the plastics. If it is weathered, it is not worth much with the engine problem. People don't like to buy motorcycles with engine problems, they are considered project bikes. I bought a "project" bike for $1200, and it would have easily been worth it had it been a carbed model, unfortunately it is an '85 LTD with fuel injection. Pretty much everything is solid, no engine, frame, or final drive problems, new tires and brakes, decent plastics, though not perfect, but the fuel injection is driving me crazy. No parts no parts, no parts. I have had to make several parts myself, hope to have it on the road soon.

Don't feel bad if you can't get what you want out of it, it's a buyers market out there right now for bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Have you looked into why it's throwing oil out one cylinder?
Is it rings Valves, seats or a combination. Whats the compression? Somethings are easier to fix than others but everything is fixable, to the right person. It's hard for anyone to say without seeing the bike and knowing what something like that would go for in your area, but I would think $1700 is not a bad price, but I know when I see $1700, Im thinking the owner wants $1500. Good luck.

Just looked at you other post: Definitely Hold that $1700 price. Thats a nice Bike! Well worth buying and putting a few hundred more in it for engine work.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks so far. The paint and plastics are nice, The right side cover where the brake fluid resivor isdoes have a hairline crack in it at the lower end.

When I pulled the spark plug, it did have compression, tested with my finger, LOL.

Whatever the problem is it started from sitting about a year.

I did have 1,500.00 in mind, really could use the money but may take less.

Just trying to see her saved and not parted out.

I know some people enjoy working on these. I know there is one post here wher someone had a rust bucket he was restoring.

glad to see another one stay on the road.

Some people are just about giving away bikes nowdays. You have to be fast to get one of those deals though, expecially when you live in a city with 4 million people.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

That's a pretty decent looking $1700 bike there. It is well equipped... if everything works as it should. You sure you want less for it? Would it be worth trying to figure out what the problem in the cylinder is?..

It just kind of sounds like you're knocking down the price a bit because of a potential problem.. I do see it has 83,000 miles on it.. I don't know.. $1700 sounds pretty fair.. and maybe a tad low at that.. especially if you'd like it to go to someone that will fix it up... as I agree, if it sells cheap it just might be parted out.. I believe the stereo/CB/Intercom equipment alone(if it all works correctly) is worth several hundred dollars.. so you do have quite a bit of value there.. I wish you well with your sale.. and hope you get what you need from it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Dam I'd give you 1700 today for the bike. Unfortunaly your a tad far away
Wilf

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

My 1st thought that $1700 for a bike with possible engine problems was too much, but after looking at the picures, it seems OK.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

$1,700 is a little steep figuring the engine problems.

Here's my way of figuring it.

New decent engine plus labor to swap: $1,300.
Resulting value following work: $2,000.

bike as is: thus $700.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

wish I lived closer that price seems fair you can pick up decant engines for about 300

but I have a ? did actually see oil or did it just blow blue smoke You might want to put alittle seafoam in the crankcase and if you can go out and run it for 100 miles or so and see what happens it may loosen things up and quit smokeing since it sat for a year than for 7$ investment of seafoam and another oil change your bike goes from 1700 to 2500$ it may not be as bad as you think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.