Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Behind my left front lower fairing there is a relay type module plugged into a blue 4 pole connector. It hangs just above the horn and in front of the timing belt cover.

Anyone know what it is? It hangs down with it's terminals up and when I unplugged it and turned it over rusty water ran out! There are no markings at all on it- just a blask plastic module.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Which bike is this on ?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Oh yea- that would help to know I guess! It's my 93 Aspencade

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Can you find anything that doesn't work anymore?

If you can work out which are the "switched terminals you could jump the corresponding wires and see what comes to life. Otherwise it might be time to trace wires.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I can't answer that right now- I have the battery, broken starter and Solenoid out- (another post). They won't be fixed until end of next week and I'm supposed to leave on a trip- on this bike a few days later. Therefore I would like to determine what's up with this relay now while there is time to do something about it.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

It is your left cornering light relay if I'm not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I the "turn signal ditch" and the "cornering light" the same thing?
I just recently bought this bike and I honestly don't even know what the lights are on the front besides the head lights and the lower fairing driving lights. I do know that the lights are a huge improvement over the single headlight on my naked 81 GL1100.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

On my 1989 GL 1500 the left cornering light Relay with aBlue 4 pin connector, is tied to the frame with an OEM Boot/Tie wrap. Probably have one onthe right side too.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

ooops, double up.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

Ditch lights, cornering lights, same thing. They are the 2 white lights (lower left and right corners,front)come on when you apply your turn signal and illuminate the road side/curb at night to improve visibility when making slow turns.

Some owners convert them to full time running lights by clipping a wire as described on the Saunders website.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Yes that's the one, tied to the frame- thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Took my other GW to the shop today for state inspection, while I was there I looked with a parts guy at the parts diagrams for the relay so I could purchase a replacement. We would not find it..... anyone know what the Honda part number is or what section of the parts diagram I could find it in?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I guess I won't need to replace relay since I was able to pry it open, clean it with contact cleaner and seems to work fine. I found it curious though that it's normally closed and opens when voltage is applied.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

Yes, the way the cornering lights work is when the signal is off power goes to the front marker lights through another contact in the TS switch. When the signal is turned on the marker light on that side goes off and kills the relay which turns on the cornering light. Lots of 1500 owners disconnect the marker light wire from the relays and use them as running lights, permanently on.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I had my mechanic convert mine to full time and also the bulb's them self, have two filaments in them and we installed a switch for when one blows i can flip to the other, Very cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.