Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Igot the (new to me) '81 1100 home last night. I was listening to the radio when I noticed a ring on the left handgrip. It was located where one might expect a cruise control to be. I had to look at the right grip. Yep the cruise control was there. The dial on the left said something about 'highlighter' on it. When I truned it on, the radio went silent, although it remained on and lighted.

What might this be? My previous exposure to wings was a couple naked minimalist wings. Not used to all of this interstate stuff.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A pic of the ring would help in determining what it is. Sounds like a custom mod or aftermarket device some one installed.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

Could be for multiple purposes, lets say you pull up along side someone and want to talk with them. You can hit the mute switch to lower the radio volume (without taking your hands off the handlebar). Depending on where you are (up hill/down hill or such), you may like keeping your hands on the handlebar while lowering the radio volume. Using the mute, the radio volume will return to the same exact volume, no adjusting involved. Just a couple of thoughts.

However, I am not sue if what you have is a mute switch. That was just one suggestion of something it could possibly be.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

When I get around to taking some pictures of it, I will be sure to focus in on it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

It says "KC Hilites" on it. After some Googling... Evidently there must have been some auxiliary lights on teh wing at one time. They aren't there now, but the switch is.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

pasvorto wrote:
Actually, it says "KC HiLites" on it.
Aha!! Sounds like some one installed a driving light kit. Does it have additional lights on the front of the bike somewhere? With it killing the radio it sounds like they wired the lights to pull power from somewhere in the fairing where the power feeds are for the audio system, which isn't the right way to do it.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Time to do some wire tracing.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Talked to the PO. He said, as far as he knows, it was used to mute the radio without letting go of the handlebars.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Since this is an Interstate model, what type of radio setup does it have on it, Honda Clarion system or a Cyclesound setup?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.