Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife got a new dog a couple of days ago and I didn't realize the doghas beenpeeing on my wheels.The wheels havealot of stains and a white crusty buildup, and I want to know what to use on them.

Thanks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The problem is how hard the wheels are to get to on the 1500. I would use either Simple Green, or S100 Cycle Cleaner. You may need a toothbrush. When cleaning my "nice" bikes, and unfortunately my GL1200 is not one of them, I always rinse everything off with distilled water to make sure it doesn't leave any spots. Either cleaner residue, or minerals in the water or both can damage the clearcoat on the wheels. The wheels have a lot of nooks and crannies you just can't get to to dry. Distilled water in a pump up sprayer will flush the tap water out of these places.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The best method is to get someone else to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

I did what jerry did but use air to blow out the nooks and crannies on the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

By the way..Enemy Dog. Take action.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

O.K. thanks, I'll try it. This is a 95 model so I'm pretty sure there is not much clear coat on the wheels. They didn't have any shine when I bought it. I want to try polishing them next, any ideas on that?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

The GL1500 wheels never had clear coat on them from the factory. Your favorite aluminum polish and a lot of elbow grease is necessary to get them to shine.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

thumper1963 wrote:
My wife got a new dog a couple of days ago and I didn't realize the doghas beenpeeing on my wheels.The wheels havealot of stains and a white crusty buildup, and I want to know what to use on them.

Thanks

A non-marring alligator type of clip to connect the wheel to the "hot" phase of the nearest electrical outlet. It'll be best if you unplug and then disconnect this prior to riding.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

No clear coat? Huh? That is a first for me. The Japanese have been clearcoating everything for as long as I can remember. I personally do not like clear coat, either on aluminum or paint. Clearcoat on paint scratches really easy, much easier than the color coat. And in the AZ sun, it quickly burns off in spots, leaving a real mess. I have had a couple of bikes painted, and did not have them clear coated. The painter thought I was crazy, but the paint held up very well for years with an occasional polish, and didn't show swirl marks like the clear coat does.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Dog Fur! Thats what I would clean them with......

I would be using that mutt to clean those rims......

Yup..... Dog Fur..... Polish them right up......

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Powder coated clear coat is pretty tough. I don't remember my Interstate, or LTD having clear coat. And, none of the 1500 or 1800 wheels are clear coated, that is until the 2012 model.
But, I doubt that the 2012 wheels clear coat will be very durable. Good for awhile, then the bond will go south. Blast them with walnut shells, or baking soda, then polish some, remove the polish residual, and get them powder coated clear. Beautiful. I'd do that before I went chrome. Chrome doesn't seem to hold up for the long haul, either.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I used a Dremel tool with the polishing wheels and abrasive bar to polish my back rim... off the bike. I probably spent 3 or 4 hours at it, and then finished off by hand polishing with Nev-R-Dull. After all that work, it didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped. Next time I'll start out with very fine sandpaper (maybe 400) and work my way towards 1000+ grit beforeusing the Dremel. I really like the look of nicely polished rims, but they are sure hard to get at (back rim!) and labour intensive to maintain.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Get a Green scoch brite pad this will take the heavy stuff off then use some Mothers alum cleaner. get a power ball by mothers and drill or a lot of hand rubing

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Just be sure to clean them well before you remove the valve stem cap and put in into your mouth while you air up your tires!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I clean mine when I change tires. Good enough.
(once a year)

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I just "cleaned" mine with a stiff bristled brush, a green scotch bright pad and water. But then again, they still don't look that great because the wheels have been abused. I live on a dirt road that's about 3/4 mile to my driveway which is another 1/4 mile long and gravel. they get really dirty. I have a bunch of black stuff on them that I can't seem to get off. one of these days I'm going to have to take the time and do it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.