Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In 1986 there were 2 models of the Aspencade a GL1200A and a GL12SEI.

For this year (and others) what does the SEI mean/signify? What are the differences?

Thanks!
Dan
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dan_69GTX wrote:
In 1986 there were 2 models of the Aspencade a GL1200A and a GL12SEI.

For this year (and others) what does the SEI mean/signify? What are the differences?

Thanks!
Dan
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Dan!:waving::waving:

SEI stands for Special Edition Injected. In 1985 and 1986 Honda made two special model Aspencades (LTD and SEI)with fuel injection, trip computers, special audio systems, autoleveling, heavy duty stator,and a few other features the Aspencade didn't have. They are great bikes and probably the best performing (power wise) until the 1800 came out.

The downside is that they are also the most complicated and since they were built for only two years the parts are getting a bit scarce and expensive. I had an SEI and loved the bike. Even so I was a bit worried about being able to find parts and keep it going. I still miss it though, it ran so much better than the carbureted models.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the explaination!

I've had various bikes. The two most memorable are the 1977 Honda GL1000 - fully decked out, and a 1973 Kawasaki 500 triple (2 stroke 3 cyl).

The GL1000 was purchased in "kit" form - someone decided to take it apart to get it running better (yea right).

The later was VERY quick, but if you rode it for long your body was numb from the vibration.

Now I'm getting the "itch" again. I've always really like the mid 80's aspencades - why - don't know.

Doing some web surfing is how I found this site - looks like I'll lurk here some and gleen what I can.

Doing some checking, is there a way to do any advanced searching? - such as by subject line?

Thanks!
Dan
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dan_69GTX wrote:
Thanks for the explaination!

I've had various bikes. The two most memorable are the 1977 Honda GL1000 - fully decked out, and a 1973 Kawasaki 500 triple (2 stroke 3 cyl).

Doing some checking, is there a way to do any advanced searching? - such as by subject line?

Thanks!
Dan
The 1987 Aspy was a real nice bike. I like the looks of the 1200s though I have a 1500 now. You can search pretty much any way that you can think of in the window at the top of the page.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the Finest Goldwing Forum on the World Wide Web!!! :waving::waving::waving:

I have an 84 Aspencade and love it. I purchased it about 4 months ago and when I did, it only had 14,101 miles on it. The previous owner had it for about 1 1/2 years and only rode it 1,000 miles. It has taken a while but it is running like a dream now. I still have a few quirks to work out but it is getting better.

One thing to remember about the LTD and or the SEI is that they are more expensive than the Interstate or the Aspencade. OneBay the Aspys usually go in the 3,000 to mid 4,000 dollar range. The SEI's most generally get in the mid 5,000 to almost 6,000 dollar range. I have seen a few go over 6,000. I opted for theAspy as it was in my price range, had low mileage, and I could build it up the way I wanted it with the money that I saved over the LTD or SEI models.

As Paul said, with the fuel injection, they would probably run a little better but on the other hand, they are more costly to repair. eBay is loaded with parts for the 1200's. Only thing, the majority are for the I's or the A's and not the LTD's or SEI's. Another reason I opted for the Aspy is because of the fuel system. With the carb set up, I can work on it if it fails. If that computer controlled fuel injection failsI would havehad to take it to a shop for repair.

Here is a link to an SEI that is on ebay right now and still at an attractive price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Gold-Wing-Aspencade-SEI_W0QQitemZ4575046396QQcategoryZ50002QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Dan_69GTX :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net.:clapper:

All your questions will be answered here so dont be afraid to ask them. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey Dan_69GTX :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net.:clapper:

All your questions will be answered here so dont be afraid to ask them. :weightlifter:
So when's the mana question going to be answered!:whip:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Redwing wrote:
Hey Dan_69GTX :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net.:clapper:

All your questions will be answered here so dont be afraid to ask them. :weightlifter:
So when's the mana question going to be answered!:whip:
Get'em Paul. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Let's see....a synopsis from what I've read...

Mana - not bread from heaven - that's Manna,
To not be sexist we also need "womana",
Obtaining "full mana" means you have to buy drinks for everyone,
etc.


But isn't it really just the start?......as in....


Mana datsa nicea bike?

Dan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31 Posts
imported post

Dan,

The difference has been explained, so I will put my two bits in on the actual bike. I owned a 85 LTD for several years before I moved on to the 1500. I can say the bike performed well, very well. I road with many 1500's and had no problems keeping up. I really liked the handling and style of the bike. Power was smooth through all the range, never stumbled and always fired even in the coldest dayswhen I lived in Ohio. I know parts are getting scarce, and fuel problems have to go to a shop for repair, but if the machine is maintained problems (at least when I had mine for 5 yrs.) should be minimal.
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
So when's the mana question going to be answered!:whip:
Well i guess youra "Senior Guru" so you should have all the answers. :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
exavid wrote:
So when's the mana question going to be answered!:whip:
Well i guess youra "Senior Guru" so you should have all the answers. :stumped:
No can do, you have always been in charge of handling the investigations since you can have face to face meetings with our esteemed proprietor and his henchman Wexman.
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
No can do, you have always been in charge of handling the investigations since you can have face to face meetings with our esteemed proprietor and his henchman Wexman.
These guysgive me info on a need to know only. :stumped: wexman reminds me ofa gun slinger. :gunner2:He carries a colt 45 on his hip just like the guys in "The Gunfight at the OK Corral" :gunner: I would be afraid to ask him a question.

I propose that the "Senior Gurus" carry out all Investigations. :hovering:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
exavid wrote:
No can do, you have always been in charge of handling the investigations since you can have face to face meetings with our esteemed proprietor and his henchman Wexman.
These guysgive me info on a need to know only. :stumped: wexman reminds me ofa gun slinger. :gunner2:He carries a colt 45 on his hip just like the guys in "The Gunfight at the OK Corral" :gunner: I would be afraid to ask him a question. I propose that the "Senior Gurus" carry out all Investigations.
If you just think of mana as Bridgestones and carry on that way it should work wonders. You're the man on the scene, after all it's only a short ferry ride for you to beard the Wexman in his den. Buck up and do your duty man!:cussing::fighting:
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey exavid :stumped: There is no comparison between "Mana" and "Bridgestone"

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey exavid :stumped: There is no comparison between "Mana" and "Bridgestone"
I still think you're the only one qualified to take up the cudgels for Mana, after all you're famous for the begging incident.
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Good night. :baffled:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top