Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/VehicleBrowse/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/N-111+1981+200008236+600014410/c-10111

I have been searching the forum and cant find anything that tells me the difference. I am ready to order the cheaper one that says saddleman. Also 10% off and free shipping.

I read in searching the forum that stretching the cover is a real bear, so I will heat the foam and cover(extremely carefully) with a torpedo heater and makeshift enclosure.

Thanks and happy trails.

Randy

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Handyrandy
I would say this to you that some stuff from them is just fine,they are a giant warhouse that get good deals frome there suppliers.I have delt with them for years and they have some good stuff.I live in an area about thirty miles away from them. I would say this ,you buy a knob and it looks good then you receave it and it is plastic.seats are ok,call them for a descruction first.Go online and look
leaves [MIKE]

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

Not sure about the seat but do you know how hard it is to locate vetter V lowers? I had been looking for mine for 2 yrs before I found a set.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Handyrandy,

I can let you know in a week or so. I ordered in the standard seat from them and then a day later realized I wanted the deluxe seat. So I then ordered that one in. Someday soon I will have the two of them here so I can compare the two.

I'll take lots of pictures if you wish.

One of them is going back or I will sell it to someone in my area.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks Guys,

Leaves...30-40 years ago I used to look through there catalog when I was a kid down at my grandfathers used car lot. Made out of tissue paper almost.

Jason M... glad I never had to look!!

Tim.... that would sure be appreciated by me, as well as I am sure the rest of the guys here looking for an economical seat.

Odd the $159.99 doesn't list a mfg. One would think the saddleman would be more expensive.

Another issue Is I have the suitecase hondaline bags trunk. I bet I will have to figure out a way to move the trunk back some.

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

ONe is a delux and the foam/padding is different, supposed to be better quality

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

I live about 60 miles from them and 2 years ago I bought the deluxe but did not like the passenger seat area because it had to much contour and didn't look right, I did buy the premium with the gel inserts in the seat and I am glad I bought it, I really like this seat.

Also it says that it mounts to the original seat pan, which it does, but it was longer that stock so I had to cut the pan at the back and add an extention, no big deal.

I think all there seats are saddleman's.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Here is a picture of a saddleman complete seat some guy sells on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. I wonder which cover it is?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

JC whitney $128.99 seat cover from ad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

JC Whitney $159.00 seat cover from ad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

JCW Reviewer photo of the $128.99 seat on a virago

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

You have a bigger photo? Which seat did you buy? Already have a utopia. Really nice.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Thanks for doing that. Your bike looks like new. Seems your seat is an older style because there is no back on the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

Something about the stitching on the cheaper saddle just looks inferior. Crooked and uneven with larger stitches. The diamond stitched padding doesn't look to be as good as the other. For $30 I think I would go for more expensive saddle.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

I chatted with JCW this morning and they are all made by saddleman. The issue now it seems that the picture does not always match the product. The saddle Keith has, has no ridge around the passenger. The photo shows a ridge. I dont want a ridge. I will have to do a lot of work to raise my trunk and backrest.

I am going to call saddleman later and get the scoop. JCW gave me the part numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I put on the complete Saddleman seat last year from them. It doesn't have the gel inserts. My wife and I are, well, large economysize people and the seat serves us well.

However, be aware that if you order the complete seat, it may well back-order on you as I believe they only make the seat after it's ordered. It took me almost 3 months to get the seat. Fortunately, I had ordered in early January and had it by the end of March. It has been well worth the wait and price.

Regards,

Hobie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.