Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I picked up this new master cylinder for my 81:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110504048711&viewitem=

After spending 10 days trying to bleed them and testing parts, I think it has turned out that MC is too small.

I ended up putting a '82 MC on from a parts bike, and had a firm lever in no time after bleeding.

The one I bought was advertised for the GL1100, and the seller says it has worked for other people - he seems likea nice guy, and has agreed to a refund. But I'm 100% positive this was the issue.

The one I bought has a 14mm piston bore. What size is the '82 MC bore? What about the '81? I still have the original '81 MC, but it needs a rebuild. I'll probably rebuild it and swap it in place when the rebuild kit comes in the mail. The 80-81 MCs are the same, '82 is different , and I assume '83 is different too because of linked brakes?

Anyways, just as a warning, be aware of new MC's. Make sure it has the same size piston bore before buying it. Luckily the seller is being great about. Thank goodness it wasnt through sabercycle! lol

I have used one of his MC's before on a single caliper bike - and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i am not sure... i've asked this many times about those GL1000 to 1500 MC, since GL1000 and GL1100 80 to 82 operate both front calippers with one MC and the GL1100 83, all 1200s and 1500s only one.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

From preliminary research, it looks like they are about 25mm. Hopefully someone can confirm that.

It makes a lot of sense, as I would get a firm lever with just one caliper using the new MC, but with both hooked up, it was always spongey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.