Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I picked up this new master cylinder for my 81:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110504048711&viewitem=

After spending 10 days trying to bleed them and testing parts, I think it has turned out that MC is too small.

I ended up putting a '82 MC on from a parts bike, and had a firm lever in no time after bleeding.

The one I bought was advertised for the GL1100, and the seller says it has worked for other people - he seems likea nice guy, and has agreed to a refund. But I'm 100% positive this was the issue.

The one I bought has a 14mm piston bore. What size is the '82 MC bore? What about the '81? I still have the original '81 MC, but it needs a rebuild. I'll probably rebuild it and swap it in place when the rebuild kit comes in the mail. The 80-81 MCs are the same, '82 is different , and I assume '83 is different too because of linked brakes?

Anyways, just as a warning, be aware of new MC's. Make sure it has the same size piston bore before buying it. Luckily the seller is being great about. Thank goodness it wasnt through sabercycle! lol

I have used one of his MC's before on a single caliper bike - and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

From preliminary research, it looks like they are about 25mm. Hopefully someone can confirm that.

It makes a lot of sense, as I would get a firm lever with just one caliper using the new MC, but with both hooked up, it was always spongey.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.