Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Quite a few folks pull trailers behind their Gold Wings and I was wondering what kind of things can go wrong when you attach a heavy object with one or two wheels behind your bike and drag it down the highway at high speeds or when you get in close quarters and need to manoeuver? How about backing up or panic stop situations?

Vic

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I only towed a trailer on a Wing once. It was a friends GL1200 and he had just bought it and asked me to ride it the 30 miles home. I got on the bike and went down the road and turned the corner. Rode about 50 feet and looked in the mirror to see a trailer roling across the road and into a field. I'd just gone and hooked the trailer up wrong (I didn't click the ball into place) and with a red face I had to go back and retrieve it. No damage to the trailer, but my pride was well dented. :blushing::blushing:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

bought a trailor from a friend and A**-U-ME 'd it had been well maintened. We were at a rest area in West Virginia and fortunately I looked back before leaving... and no wife... turned around in the parking lot and she was where we were parked... seems the right wheel bearing had locked up tight and was very hot.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
imported post

Going through Bryce Canyon area doing 65 and 1/2 dozen Elk cros in front of me, missed them by 12 or so inches. Hit them brakes hard trl stayed streight I stayed streight. I'd rather hit em head on than swerve. Thank God the wife and brother were paying attention so they didn't hit me.fewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

But then I've been pulling trls for over 30 years. Blew a rear valve stem out at 70 in a curve that was not as bad as trying to stop and keep from hitting those big mfnELK. LOL:jumper::jumper::jumper:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Sir Slink wrote:
Going through Bryce Canyon area doing 65 and 1/2 dozen Elk cros in front of me, missed them by 12 or so inches. Hit them brakes hard trl stayed streight I stayed streight. I'd rather hit em head on than swerve. Thank God the wife and brother were paying attention so they didn't hit me.fewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

But then I've been pulling trls for over 30 years. Blew a rear valve stem out at 70 in a curve that was not as bad as trying to stop and keep from hitting those big mfnELK. LOL:jumper::jumper::jumper:

Shoulda had some elk alerts on:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
imported post

Hey Digby where can I get those for next trip. LOL:jumper:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

BigAl wrote:
I only towed a trailer on a Wing once. It was a friends GL1200 and he had just bought it and asked me to ride it the 30 miles home. I got on the bike and went down the road and turned the corner. Rode about 50 feet and looked in the mirror to see a trailer roling across the road and into a field. I'd just gone and hooked the trailer up wrong (I didn't click the ball into place) and with a red face I had to go back and retrieve it. No damage to the trailer, but my pride was well dented. :blushing::blushing:
You got a big laugh out of me with that one Al. I keep picturing your face in Wineberry Red as you drag a small trialer back to the bike. LOL Glad nothing was hurt but your pride.

Vic

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I pull a trailer full of tools, equipment and clothes all over the country several times a year. I also forgot to latch it down and followed it down the turnpike once but it came to a harmless stop. Worse problem I had was when I was trying to get a better look at the bikini clad blond crossing themountains from Tennessee into North Carolina. I came around a curve on a down hill run and the trailer started to walk on me. After cleaning my shorts out along side the road I decided I didn't care what the blond looked like.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

BigAl wrote:
with a red face I had to go back and retrieve it. No damage to the trailer.
Well at least your face had the fastest colour. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Got all rigged up now for pulling my, new to me, trailer. It is quite small, but for the last week I have been using it and the bike for work. Having pulled trailers for the last 20 years + I was nervous of towing behind a bike. However I needn't have worried, I don't even feel it behind me. In light of some concerns on here, I have practiced rapid stops and do drive extremely gently, compared to my normal steady pace. I have been out to collect stuff from the builders merchants and Helen has accompanied me on a couple of occasions. So far no incidents.

Which is more than can be said about roof racks, but that is another story and related to cages and vans.

The main reason for the trailer, is to lug extras, only when we go touring Britain orEurope. It will allow us the scope to camp in relative comfort and ride out from base camp for a few days and then move on. I generally consider it safer to take a trailer than overload the bikes capacity without it.

Pete

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I have never towed a trailer or ridden with a sidecar it just doesn't seem right to me.

One of the things I love about bikes is leaning the thing over, trailers and sidecars don't seem to conducive to that happening.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
I have never towed a trailer or ridden with a sidecar it just doesn't seem right to me.

One of the things I love about bikes is leaning the thing over, trailers and sidecars don't seem to conducive to that happening.

Andrew
I suppose if you forget something, you can just nip home and get it, being as you live on a reletively small Island!!:goofygrin:

I can imagine the conversation.... " Honey, I forgot to leave the food out for the dog, I'll just nip back and give him his 24 cans"

I dread to think what would happen to me if Iforgot to feed my "Dane":whip:

I do agree with you on the sidecar bit though, but if you want the whole family and the pets along, I guess it is handy. I find the trailer doesn't take away the pleasure of riding.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:

Andrew
We did the sidecar beacuse we were having a family and did not wish to give up going on motorcycles.... our kids saw most of the USA and a lot of Canada from those sidecars

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

travelinmays wrote:
I pull a trailer full of tools, equipment and clothes all over the country several times a year. I also forgot to latch it down and followed it down the turnpike once but it came to a harmless stop. Worse problem I had was when I was trying to get a better look at the bikini clad blond crossing themountains from Tennessee into North Carolina. I came around a curve on a down hill run and the trailer started to walk on me. After cleaning my shorts out along side the road I decided I didn't care what the blond looked like.
Patrick, have you ever thought about having a blond painted into a mural on the trailer? That way you could keep your eyes on the trailer and not miss anything. LOL

Vic

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

The only time that iuse a trailer is behind the tractor, :clapper:at least they are built for that. :weightlifter:Goldwings are [shadow=red]NOT[/shadow] built to pull trailers. :whip:Im not sure what the regulations are in the UK :stumped:but there is certainly no category of driving licence in The Rep. of Ireland to tow a trailer behind a m/cycle. :headbanger:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

From 1939 to 1984 it was illegal to tow with a bike on the mainland, but now it is okay, but BB has just pointed out that it is illegal apparently on Wings built from 2002, which now must have manufacturers fitments built in.

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not quite sure, BB just mentioned it under his bikes for sale, on here. Guess he has the low down on it all:baffled:. The generallegal bit on towing in GB I knew and is confirmed on one of the major manufacturers sites here Squire- Watsonian.

SorryI can't be more helpful, but I am sure Black Bart will dish the dirt!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:

Andrew
The tongue on these things swivel, so lean her over as far as you want. I chased some nasty switch backs and I never noticed any difference with the trailer what so ever. I even hit some bumps that had that trailer off the ground and it just settles back in behind and follows. Beer was a little foamy when we stopped though. Maybe I can hook up some kind of gyro contraption so the beer doesn't get all shook up. My only concern is the law requires trailers to have a safety chain. If she comes off the hitch, I'd just as soon it took off by itself without a life line being attached to the bike.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.