Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just curious. Is it an "overflow" of some sort? How much is it expected to "weep"?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

If you are referring to the small hole on the bottom of the case under the water pump, it is to give some advance warning that your water pump is failing or the seal between the water pump and the oil side of the internal casing is failing. If antifreeze starts to drip out of the whole, plan on replacingthe water pumpsoon. If oil starts dripping out (like mine did) you can get a seal kit (about $17.00 at the dealer) take it all apart and replace the seals. Thats what I did to fix mine. If you have an extra $100 or so you might want to replace the water pump while it's all torn apart. Especially if you have high miles on the bike.

I didn't replace my pump and I had 80K miles then, 93K miles now. At the time I was thinking "If it's not broke don't fix it" (and a $100 was a lot at the time). I decided against replacing it because it really wasn't that big of a job to tear apart my:11grey: if I need to replace it later. Hasn't leaked a drop of antifreeze or oil since I put the kit in:clapper:

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The fuel pump has a weep hole too. I know, it used to pee on my right foot, till I replaced it...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, AZ . Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Yes, I have mine torn down trying to solve an overheating issue. Thought I should replace the water pump except -- It had already been replaced! And it looks fairly new (along with the very new looking timing belts). So, it's on to the thermostat and flushing the radiator. ??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I replaced my thermostat when I had an overheating problem. I think it was actually easier (or at least less painful) to replace the head gasket (the real problem) than it was the thermostat because I didn't have to try and get my hands into those tight places where the hose, radiator and engine all come together!

Have you been loosing coolant? When my head gasket went it didn't start out blowing a noticeable amount of steam out the pipe. I noticed it was running warmer than normal and my reservoir tank was suddenly over full. Then as it cooled back down it sucked all the coolant into the radiator from the reservoir. I thought the thermostat was stuck and the water was being pushed out the overflow as it heated up. After I replaced the thermostat I noticed a little white steam coming from the right side exhaust and it smelled like antifreeze. As I stood there staring at it in dismay and disgust it quickly became a white cloud. When I took it all apart that one piston sure was clean though! About $100 for a top end gasket kit at the dealership.

Good luck!

Bob

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

That is a VERY interesting thought and one that I hope does not happen to me - since I would really like to ride my wing soon! But, I don't see a white cloud and the bike does not leak coolant - just oil right around the trans. cover. so, I am replacing the o-rings and gaskets hoping that will solve that problem. My intention was to replace the water pump but there was a new pump in there when I peeked inside. I was very happy about that (and the new timing belts didn't hurt, either!) but I still had not solved the overheating. Hopefully, the thermostat may be to blame...

Thanks
Chris

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote: Hopefully, the thermostat may be to blame...

Thanks
Chris

Chris, sounds like you're doing the right thing, replacing the thermostat I know of at least two who removed the thermostat thinking it would help with cooling. Of course it didn't and when the weather got cold they had problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.