Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

All I know for sure is the PO said the original stator had been replaced. What caught my eye is an empty space where a connector was supposed to be and this bulky thing I'm guessing in it's place. I don't know if this has anything to do with the stator just mentioned it because that's the only thing that he said he had replaced.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

The connector for the stator wires can melt, and one fix is to solder them together. I suspect that is the case here too if you peel back all that tape.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I'm not having any problems from the stator (that I know of) so is this "fix" considered safe or should I consider replacing it with the original connector?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

That's not a very neat job, for sure, but if it isn't causing any problems you could leave it alone. If it were me, I'd take off the tape and just make sure the connections were secure. But, I have been known to fix things until they were broke.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

That looks like 110v 3 wire plugs (a male and female like on an extension cord) plugged to each other. I would take the tape off and if it is get rid of it and solder the wires together.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Escgold,

My vote is to trash that setup and do it right. Cut, strip, join, solder, heat shrink tube and then loom it.

45 minutes of your time and $5.00 max for parts.

Whats a new stator worth to you??

Tim.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

to me it looks like the original connector has been replaced with another type of connector. the most used fix for a melted stator connection is to solder the wires togather , instead of useing a plug togather connection. it does not matter which wire goes to which wire. just solder each wire and insulate from each other real good. hope this helps some.

gad --- i`ve got to emprove my typeing speed.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

After riding the bike for 1/2 hour or so - do the wires feel warm? If so then WITHOUT a DOUBT, replace.

If not then it's 50/50 for me.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks y'all. I've been lookin' at it for a while but it never sunk in until I was reading the service manual last night trying to catch up on ignition system. Now where's that how to in the tips section for this fix?:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Looks like you have a drain tube going down through the bracket that the original connector mounted to. Cut out the connecter and hard wire the three wires together. Use extra wire if you need more length, it doesn't matter whitch wire you choose to splice together,(A-B,B-C,C-A). Get a good solder connection and use some heat shrink insulation. :gunhead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.