Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 93 Interstate has been killing the battery while sitting in the garage. With a voltmeter on the battery my dad & I started pulling fuses & found that #9 from the top was the circuit with the draw. It's labeled "Back Up." 5 amp. Since the Interstate has no reverse, what's the deal? When the voltmeter is first attached the needle goes up to 3 or 4 volts for a second then falls to about1 volt steady. Seems like acapacitor discharging to us. Can someone tell us what's going on here? I'm wondering if I can just leave the fuse out as I have not found any other electrics not working, at least as far as I can tell. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

That may be the memory backup power fuse for the radio pre-sets. Also it may be for the clock memory. A 1500 owner will be along soon enough to verify what it is.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,181 Posts
imported post

Yes Bagmaster is right, it's for memory on the radio, clock and maybe the ECU. the draw you show is not enough to worry about. If it doesn't show a constant 12 volts there isn't enough current draw to drain the battery for several weeks. The battery is probably bad.
 

·
Guru
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
imported post

buy a battery tender & hard wire it to your battery. Hide the charger unit inside the frame or under your seat. When your wing is parked, just plug it in.

If your cig lighter is wired so it's live with the key off, just wire your battery tender to a cig plug & stuff it in when you park. Your battery will always be topped up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys! Dave was right about battery. Dad charged, load tested, charged some more & got the battery performing much better. It had sulfated due to not being hot for awhile even though it's less than a year old. Left switch on acc. a couple times & killed it. Charged it on 2 amp when it needed woke up on 10 amp. I''ll replace it if it gives any more trouble. Apprecate help. Brian
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top