Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

What is this? Strange part on a GL1200

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can identify this part that I found on my newly acquired 1986 GL1200 Interstate. It was screwed inside the top of the battery housing.
The disc is just under an inch in diameter and has a thin, shielded single conductor wire and no numbers. It wasn't connected to anything but ran towards the headstock. I would just assume it to be some sort of defunct alarm sensor but it was really neatly fitted, just like factory. If anyone recognises it I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks
Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery
Wire Cable Technology Electrical wiring Electronic device
Gold button 3.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Maybe a back up alarm to warn folks so you don't back over them?

You scoff … but back in the '90s I had built a trunk relocation bracket of steel, added mounts to attach an aluminum bar polished with holes that allowed me to hang a good sized piece of soft luggage or my two struts to support my cooler or extra travel container from … and it gave my "Wife Unit" a place to grab to help me back out of a tough place if needed. To that end, I had a button in place with a piezo speaker back up alarm to press when backing up. It was something different, made for laughs at gatherings when I pressed the button as I backed into a space with feet power. I removed it after a few years.

#6 ·
Thanks.
I pushed it and still no nurse but I'll wait!

I tried the meter on it and put 12v into it, nothing. Then I cut it open, it was a buzzer.
The bike is new to me and I removed at least 20ft of "spare" wire, mostly of the twist-and-tape joint school. 34 years of additions! Now it is standard, and after two Covid weeks, starter, carb jets and a brake reno it is running like silk.

Appreciate the help.

#7 ·
Thanks.
I pushed it and still no nurse but I'll wait!

I tried the meter on it and put 12v into it, nothing. Then I cut it open, it was a buzzer.
The bike is new to me and I removed at least 20ft of "spare" wire, mostly of the twist-and-tape joint school. 34 years of additions! Now it is standard, and after two Covid weeks, starter, carb jets and a brake reno it is running like silk.

Appreciate the help.
That was the door bell. Not the buzzer. Right by the coffee pot? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.