Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
FleaBay sellers can and do make outrageous claims.
Without a Honda part number it's still just something found in a box.
That's true Ken but it does seem to fit. Have a look at this YouTube video of a GL1000 engine rebuild and you will see one going in at about the 3 min 20 second point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's true Ken but it does seem to fit. Have a look at this YouTube video of a GL1000 engine rebuild and you will see one going in at about the 3 min 20 second point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGNEngFPks
Not again.
I was really hoping to be a crack pipe or a dear whistle. But inside the engine!!?? Not again.
And I am not taking that engine apart for the third time. I hope I can live without it.
I swear I watched that video 100 times, and did not see that things going in.

Just curious John, what did you exactly search for? That's amazing, and I really don't remember removing that part from inside the engine. But again, I took it apart and left it for almost a year then assembled it.

Great job, thanks

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Not again.
I was really hoping to be a crack pipe or a dear whistle. But inside the engine!!?? Not again.
And I am not taking that engine apart for the third time. I hope I can live without it.
I swear I watched that video 100 times, and did not see that things going in.

Just curious John, what did you exactly search for? That's amazing, and I really don't remember removing that part from inside the engine. But again, I took it apart and left it for almost a year then assembled it.

Great job, thanks
I was just lucky I guess. I thought at first sight of your pictures that it looked like a final chain drive oil feed from something like a Scottoiler but, of course, the GL is shaft drive so that led me to search under "Honda GL1000 INTERNAL drive chain oil feed" and the eBay picture of your part appeared in the images.

I can fully sympathise with your frustration but it should help you to know that these things happen to all of us in one way or another. One I remember years ago was dropping a small screw down an oil way of an engine I was just finishing which meant taking it all out and apart again to be sure it had fallen to the sump and could be retrieved. Hours and hours wasted!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rebuilding this engine is all started from here : http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/621041-seized-engine.html
Changed the main bearings, piston rings, upgraded the chain tensioner from late models, changed the main chain.
Put the halves all together and ready to torque the heads. Then I noticed to holes on the top. Picture in this thread:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/631985-gl1000-left-cylinder-block.html

I disassembled the engine again with no $$$ added. But right now, I am to the point where all I have left to start the bike is:
Add coolant, add gear oil for the final drive, and try to fire it.
The only issue I encountered was the neutral light stays on all the time. It's a pin in a$$ to get to it and try to play with the wire.

Now John kinda shot me with a teaser :) I thought at first. But he wasn't kidding. It is what it is.

So now, I am going back to the engine, and put that thing back on.

Anyone knows a good (or oem) Honda Head Gaskets? I think I will need a couple!!

Thanks fellas, Some members here really have a sense of humor. NOT YOU JOHN J (But I am impressed )

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Well done John!

Now the question, is leaving it out an alternative? The Honda engineers put it in there for some reason which means they went thru the headache to design it and tool up for mass production. So what problem were they trying to solve?

I've never been inside a GL1000 engine so don't know where the primary chain lives. In my smaller Honda engines, the primary chain visits the sump, so Gerri g well oils isn't a problem. Is the same true for a GL boxer engine?? I don't know, just asking.

There is also the possibility that the fitting is there to regulate oil pressure. That the oil gallery without the fitting will oil the chain, but oil pressure will fall starving oil to some other part of the engine.

If you don't get a decent answer here, maybe reach out to Randakk's for an answer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well done John!

Now the question, is leaving it out an alternative? The Honda engineers put it in there for some reason which means they went thru the headache to design it and tool up for mass production. So what problem were they trying to solve?

I've never been inside a GL1000 engine so don't know where the primary chain lives. In my smaller Honda engines, the primary chain visits the sump, so Gerri g well oils isn't a problem. Is the same true for a GL boxer engine?? I don't know, just asking.

There is also the possibility that the fitting is there to regulate oil pressure. That the oil gallery without the fitting will oil the chain, but oil pressure will fall starving oil to some other part of the engine.

If you don't get a decent answer here, maybe reach out to Randakk's for an answer.
Good point. You can take a look at the video John posted, and you will see the primary chain. In that video, the guy put an orifice first then that mystery part (Not anymore!!). So when I disassembled all that I didn't pull that orifice. Now the question is, does that mystery part holds down the orifice? If yes, then surely it will shoot out with oil pressure.

·
Administrator
25,376 Posts
Well done John!

I knew I had seen that part somewhere but just couldn't quite picture it, it's been a few months since I've been into a wing engine.
The primary chain does not reach the sump but there is a lot of splash oiling going on in there. It has nothing to do with the engine oil pressure, the scavenger pump in the clutch housing pumps the oil it picks up through that device onto the chain. Don't know if it's because it actually needs it or if they just wanted something to do with the scavenged oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Like always, I really appreciate all your help. Yeah, that crack pipe is definitely going back in. It will take some time since I really need to polish my CB750F for the riding season. I am talking paint and shining it.

Thanks all again

·
Administrator
25,376 Posts
You can split the case without removing the heads.
Not quite, you do have to remove the left head. If you haven't started it since having it apart just reuse the head gasket.

·
Administrator
25,376 Posts
I'm not seeing it.
The left pistons go in from the bottom of the cylinders not the top like on the right side.
There is a main case bolt hidden under the head in the opening where the oil drains back into the case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I feel your pain. Been there, done that. Putting together my son's XL250R head, Boy got over zealous and dropped one of the alignment dowels down the timing chain hole. That wouldn't have been so bad if hadn't pushed it out of the way when trying to retrieve it. I had that engine apart four times before we got it back together. The good news; it was perfect when we were done and from there until we sold it started on the first kick, no matter how long it sat.
Good luck with yours. It does appear that you shouldn't have to take everything down to that part...still a pain though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I guess I just can't keep my hands off of it. I decided I split the halves again. And by the way, the left head has to come off.
So now, two questions.
What is the best way to clean all that sealant? I am really trying to avoid blades(sharp things scare me). Any good solvent?

I had some trouble with the neutral switch. The light stayed on even on gear. Any way to test it while I am there?

Planning to put the halves back first thing in the morning.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,376 Posts
Pull the switch out and spray in it with contact cleaner, IIRC there are some small holes in the side you can spray the cleaner in. Then test it for continuity with while pushing the spring loaded ball in & out. It should only have continuity when the ball is released.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I gota say, that's a pretty damn clean engine. Well done Rocks!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.