Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1997 GL1500SE I was doing some work on my bike and had to remove theleft hand fairing pocket.

Under the pocket I noticed a spare capped offcable with five wires which are black, white, red,green and blue, it appears to be coming from the instrument cluster.

Does anyone know what thiswas for ?

Thank you

Terry

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi terry if the plug is red its to connect the head set for the intercom

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Agnogel no plug I am afraid just five wires terminated inscrewed terminalblock ?

I will check the run of the front intercom cable to see where it goes.

Thank you

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Is your bike an Americanor Canadian import? If so it may be wires from the CB that perhaps you don't have?

Do they look like they are origional or possibly after market that a previous owner may have added for some item that he laterly removed?

Have you done a test on them to see if any are live? If so, are they live when the ignition is on only, or always live?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Oooops, fat fingers... sorry.

But while I am back editing, mine was a 1997 Canadian import that had had the CB removed and Ineverdiscovered any wiring spare under the pocket. Wish I had mind, it would have saved me some time wiring accesories. :(

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Silverfox they look original, as far as I know it is a UK bike, how do I tell ?

I do not have a CB and wondered if they might have been for this.

I will check over the weekend if any of them are live and let you know.

Thank you

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Couple of things might give the game away Terry, firstly clocks, UK/European ones tended to have white faces as opposed to black, then the mirrors, the UK ones may have a split view on the glass, another might be that the CB controls would normally be fitted to the handlebars on the left side. a major thing about the US spec ones is that they have plug in sockets pre fitted for accessories, where as the UK/ European ones don't.

I see from your Avatar that the bike looks black. Again, in 1997 there was a colour called Pearl Saphire Black, which in the right light looks very dark blue. This colour wasn't issued in the UK, only the States and Canada. Mine was this colour and was a Canadian Edition model, which was embossed into the upstand of the riders saddle.

Heck I am begining to sound like a bl**dy Anorak, so I shall shut up now!!!:shock::D

Here's hoping light gets shed on what you have and you might want to post a picture which may help.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I have what sounds like the same wiring. I beleive these wires are for the CB. I have not confirmed this yet. They are not for the intercom as that harness is plugged in on my bike. I wish I had a wiring diagram for this CB harness.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Pete Thank you for the information.

Anoraks watch trains and tend not to drivethemwe must be Leathers???

Now the clocks are black but the PO rebuilt the bike after a front end smash so could have replaced them.

Mirrors are not split this again may have been the front end damage.

There are no CB controls on the handle bars.

The colour is not black it is purple (colour RP-151P code RP-151K).

I am going to look at the cable tomorrow and will let you know what I find.

Thanks again

Terry

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Paul

The cable is dead there is no power with the ignition on or off.

Terry

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well it looks like it has either been disconnected at the other end ( where everthat may be), or a fuse has been removed/ blown.

I would try and trace it and see if it is something that might be made useable adn if not, forget it. If you find what you think may be the other end of them a continuity test would show if the circuit is complete.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

To help us out, can you provide us with a picture?

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Unfortunately I put it all back together after I had completed the job and confirmed that it was dead, so cannot provide a photograph.

In the near future I am replacing the LCD display as it has a bleed,I got one from USAE bay. When I do this I will have to take out the instrument cluster and should then be able to discover where the cablecomes from.

I will post a message and let you know how I get on.

Thank you everyone for your help, this is a great site with great people with limitless amounts of knowledge.

Thanks again

Terry

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Terry ,your bike is actually a 1996 model ,They only had that colour in 1995/6 .The clocks should be black face as the white face was only on the 98/99 .You will know if it is European spec if you have a lights on/off switch on the handle bars as the USA or Canadian spec had lights on all the time and no switch,If you have not got a light switch then the wires were from a CB as all the SE models had a CB except the European models .. Hope this helps ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

There you have it Terry, a definative answer from the true anorak and electric bike rider!!! Non other than Wexy himself. :D:D

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ciaran Thank you this helps a lot, it must have been registered in 1997 ?

I do have a lights on/offswitch on the left side of the handlebars.

Did they lay the cable in for the CB as standard even ifthe CB unitwas not fitted at the factory ?

No worries in the near future as I said I will be replacing the LCD and should be able to trace the cable when I have it all opened up.

Thanks again

Terry

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

T.Hambley wrote:
Ciaran Thank you this helps a lot, it must have been registered in 1997 ?

I do have a lights on/offswitch on the left side of the handlebars.

Did they lay the cable in for the CB as standard even ifthe CB unitwas not fitted at the factory ?

No worries in the near future as I said I will be replacing the LCD and should be able to trace the cable when I have it all opened up.

Thanks again

Terry
No ,No cables fitted for the CB they had a different wiring loom in the Euro models ,Maybe the former owner was fitting a CB and discovered he had not got the full wiring and switches and just left that there.Ciaran

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Don't think they did Terry, not on the UK spec ones and that is what yours sounds like now.

It is usual for UK/ European bikes to get registered the year after manufacture, my 97 registered one was a 96 model and my 06 is in fact an 05 model.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

T.Hambley wrote:
The colour is not black it is purple (colour RP-151P code RP-151K).
'Tis NOT purple,but is in fact Royal Pearl Magenta.
Sounds a lot better don't you think. :grinner: :grinner: :grinner:

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Steve

It was sold to me as purple hence the number plate P15 XXX.

I did know the actual name but it was quicker to type purple, yours looks the same colour, very nice.

Your right Royal Pearl Magenta does sound more impressive.

Terry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.