Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What kind of Glue do use to repair a crack windshield??

It is cracked by the left mirorr.

I have a limited buget because of college.

Thank in advance.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I would suggest Araldite or another 2 part epoxy resin. If you drill a very small hole at the inner end of crack, it will stop the crack spreading further.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

good luck on repairing a windshield,i've only ever repaired one with greenbacks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Drill a hole, fit a bolt and large washer, use some silicone to cushion as you tight it down. Will help secure it..vibration is the enemy..super glue will work to glue the cracked part. Doesn't look good but it works.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Drill hole to stop the crack and reinforce it...

Lots of methods, nothing is going to be pretty..

My solution would be toglue plastic patcheson both sides with a through-screw to secure them at least until cured.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I am suprised no body said ..............

DUCT TAPE !

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

NOT !

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Duct Tape........

Had to do it.....

If you do any highway driving at all or a lot of 45 MPH + driving, I would keep an eye on the crack to make sure it doesn't spread. If it starts, it's not going to stop. I would hate to see anyone driving down the road and have that come off. And if does nothing to you, it could hit another car, then you would have to pay to get that fixed....... Might as well look for a used shield somewhere for $50 or so and not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:

DUCT TAPE !
what color?:?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

I drilled my cracks and no glue was used.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

readingracer wrote:
scotterichmond wrote:

DUCT TAPE !
what color?:?
I think CLEAR would be best !

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Be careful suggesting that someone get their crack drilled.

The moderators will get you.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

floridamtbiker99 wrote:

Thank in advance.
I hope your major isn't English.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
floridamtbiker99 wrote:

Thank in advance.
I hope your major isn't English.
:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I'm with the drill it and forget it crowd. If it is real bad that it affect the integrity of the windshield it should be replaced anyway.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

floridamtbiker99 wrote:

Thank in advance.

Trichloromethane...Proper repair as follows: Remove windshield and lay with cracked area as flat as possible. If windshield is between 3/16" and 1/4" thick, drill the terminated end of the crack with a 3/32" to 1/8" drill bit with the bit tip ground to "ALMOST" (similar to the shape of a dull pencil) a point...this will allow the drill to pass through the plastic without it grabbing and cracking. The hole should be drilled "ADJACENT" to the end of the crack, allowing the outer circumference of the drilled hole to run into the crack. With a 1/16" bit or a #60 bit; drill a series of holes adjacent to one side of the crack with about 3/16" spacing along the span of the crack. The holes should be drilled with an edge distance from the crack 1/2 the thickness of the windshield. Do the same on the opposite side of the crack, however do not align the holes with the opposite holes, but stagger them. With some soft copper 1/32" wire...lace the crack up as you would a shoe lace, pulling the wire tightly. Terminate the lacing by making several loops through the last hole, slipping the wire under the last loop and cut it. Using a small eye dropper, apply a "SMALL" amount of the Trichloromethane along the length of the crack. let it set over night, re-install the shield and ride. Not the best looking repair, but will " work good...last long."
Norm

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

now circlepilot thats a response!!...but studying this might take up to much study time for school...now for the duct tape people you obviously cant use duct tape...use clear tape.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

grambo wrote:
now circlepilot thats a response!!...but studying this might take up to much study time for school...now for the duct tape people you obviously cant use duct tape...use clear tape.
Sorry about that...I just walked in the door, from work...Aviation Technology Instructor. I hadn't time to wind down.:banana:
Norm

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Just like to point out that Home Depot carries a "Tribal Flame" duct tape along with many other colors. Would be perfect for any repairs to your Harley!
Also, from your pic it would appear one more drill hole is necessary on the crack to the left as it is forked.
While it is obvious that any number of jokes could be made about someone drilling a forking crack, that would be infantile and I would never stoop to such a level...
:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Use camo duct tape and you wont see the crack or the tape. Just had to throw that in there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.